Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Do you experience any difficulty cleaning with the mitt when your car is really dirty? Or that it might retain too much dirt? How many of those do you use per car wash?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Do you experience any difficulty cleaning with the mitt when your car is really dirty? Or that it might retain too much dirt? How many of those do you use per car wash?
The mitt shouldn't give you any problems. I scrub it on the grit guard between each section.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but on my own car I generally only use one mitt. I wash the top 1/2 first, then the bottom half. My car never gets dirty enough for this to be a problem.

On really dirty cars, I'll generally do the top 1/2 with a mitt and then the grimy bottom half with a separate wash pad.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Fantastic write-up....much appreciated. Would also like your opinion on some of the wash and wax products, such as Mothers carnuba wash and wax, Meguiars ultimate wash and wax, etc. In particular, can the wash and wax products be safely used on matte black stripes without screwing them up? I understand the matte black stripes should not be waxed, but am concerned if the wax type washes contain enough wax to be harmful. Many thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
The mitt shouldn't give you any problems. I scrub it on the grit guard between each section.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but on my own car I generally only use one mitt. I wash the top 1/2 first, then the bottom half. My car never gets dirty enough for this to be a problem.

On really dirty cars, I'll generally do the top 1/2 with a mitt and then the grimy bottom half with a separate wash pad.
Yep. Me too and on the rare occasion when the bottom does get a bit more dirty, I spend a little more time on the pre-rinse. But always from the top down.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
Fantastic write-up....much appreciated. Would also like your opinion on some of the wash and wax products, such as Mothers carnuba wash and wax, Meguiars ultimate wash and wax, etc. In particular, can the wash and wax products be safely used on matte black stripes without screwing them up? I understand the matte black stripes should not be waxed, but am concerned if the wax type washes contain enough wax to be harmful. Many thanks.
I like to keep my wash and wax separate for this exact reason. I don't want to take the chance. You're probably going to be ok, but there's only one way to find out.

I want my car wash to wash, and my wax to wax. That way I know exactly what's going on my paint at any given time.

I think that Roshan (ihaveacamaro) knows quite a bit more about those products, you may want to shoot him a pm for a specific question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #34
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
I like to keep my wash and wax separate for this exact reason. I don't want to take the chance. You're probably going to be ok, but there's only one way to find out.

I want my car wash to wash, and my wax to wax. That way I know exactly what's going on my paint at any given time.

I think that Roshan (ihaveacamaro) knows quite a bit more about those products, you may want to shoot him a pm for a specific question.

Excellent answer....thanks....I think I'll try the Optimum.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
goducks09

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2LT/RS
Any recommendations on interior cleaning? Dash specifically. Anything that brings out the black color? Love the writeup!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
CamaroDreams07

Wow how did I completely ignore interiors? Haha sorry about that. Bound to miss something.

Added to the OP.

Last edited by CamaroDreams07; 02-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #37
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Wow how did I completely ignore interiors? Haha sorry about that. Bound to miss something.

Added to the OP.

Easy oversight...interior cleaning is the least "glamorous" of the detailing processes.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #38
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I need a full day to fully take in this wealth of information. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Easy oversight...interior cleaning is the least "glamorous" of the detailing processes.
I hate it. I'd probably like it more if I didn't have a car with cheap plastic everywhere, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

I was watching Top Gear the other day and they had the new Vanquish on there- the interior was almost nicer than the exterior on that car!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
I hate it. I'd probably like it more if I didn't have a car with cheap plastic everywhere, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

I was watching Top Gear the other day and they had the new Vanquish on there- the interior was almost nicer than the exterior on that car!
Agreed on both.

I charge A LOT for interior cleaning, especially cleaning nasty carpets. If someone balks at the price I quote...no big deal lol.

Yes, the interior of that Aston was INCREDIBLE. I wish they would have showed more of it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Agreed on both.

I charge A LOT for interior cleaning, especially cleaning nasty carpets. If someone balks at the price I quote...no big deal lol.

Yes, the interior of that Aston was INCREDIBLE. I wish they would have showed more of it.

I wish I had taken pictures of this Suburban that I did a full interior detail on when I was still cutting my teeth in this business. I was a little hesitant to throw out a "big number" so I lowballed it to make sure I didn't insult the customer. NEVER AGAIN. I probably spent 8 hours and a gallon of your carpet cleaner doing the entire thing by hand (had no carpet shampooer, just a brush and elbow grease). What a nightmare

Now I'm like you- I charge a lot and if they decline, well, I don't have to do it . Either way, I'm fine with it.

And yeah, the next time I find myself with an extra $278,000 lying around, I'm buying one. Should be no problem
Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #42
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
I wish I had taken pictures of this Suburban that I did a full interior detail on when I was still cutting my teeth in this business. I was a little hesitant to throw out a "big number" so I lowballed it to make sure I didn't insult the customer. NEVER AGAIN. I probably spent 8 hours and a gallon of your carpet cleaner doing the entire thing by hand (had no carpet shampooer, just a brush and elbow grease). What a nightmare

Now I'm like you- I charge a lot and if they decline, well, I don't have to do it . Either way, I'm fine with it.

And yeah, the next time I find myself with an extra $278,000 lying around, I'm buying one. Should be no problem
It just so happens the next interior I do will be quoted at $278,000

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote