Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
CamaroEnergy4Life
CamaroEnergy4Life

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
How many preordered Camaro's will be built in the first months of production

I heard that there is over 10,000 preorders right now. I was wondering how many Camaro's will be produced a month because i'm trying to figure out when my car will arrive at my dealer. My dealer said the car should be arriving around March/April. Is that possible with all of these orders? I really want this car as early as possible and hope I wont have to wait until like summer of next year...
CamaroEnergy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
depends on all sorts of stuff including how long it takes to get up to 100% production and how many cars a day is 100% production.

Also remember what really matters is where you are on your dealers allocation list, and how many people with the same style car (LS, LT, SS) are in front of you. if you have a SS and there are 5 people in front of you with the same order then they will all get their car before you get yours. Or if you are like me and have the only V6 ordered of the 11 ordered so far you could get your car anywhere from the very first or the very last. It just depends on what GM decides to make and when.

good rule of thumb figure out where you are on your dealers allocation list, assume that their last allocation will come in at the end of August. Then project that where ever you are in your dealers line is about when you will get your car. So if you are 5 out of 10 the best projection would be the end of May.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
good advice, Bob2. The initial production allocation is/was for the start of production in 2/09 through September 30. I'm guessing that GM is praying for a company saving homerun with the Camaro and will want them on the streets drumming up late-spring/summer sales demand. I'm #1 on my dealer's list and am hoping for delivery by Memorial Day. I'm guessing that production scheduling will be done by model and options to keep the production line moving as smoothly as possible since this is a new model. Since GM's materials stated they were staging on a 50/50 mix of V6 to V8 and the V8's seem to be ordered in a greater than 50% ratio on this forum, then I might guess that the V6 models might come off in a 60-75% mix as the parts will be staged. My fear is that the guys that ordered SS models will be deferred in production because GM might not have the correct mix of parts and engines in the pipeline.

Remember, production starts in 6 weeks +/- a week. ...and back when, it was nothing to order a car and wait 6 weeks for delivery.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWHCPA View Post
good advice, Bob2. The initial production allocation is/was for the start of production in 2/09 through September 30. I'm guessing that GM is praying for a company saving homerun with the Camaro and will want them on the streets drumming up late-spring/summer sales demand. I'm #1 on my dealer's list and am hoping for delivery by Memorial Day. I'm guessing that production scheduling will be done by model and options to keep the production line moving as smoothly as possible since this is a new model. Since GM's materials stated they were staging on a 50/50 mix of V6 to V8 and the V8's seem to be ordered in a greater than 50% ratio on this forum, then I might guess that the V6 models might come off in a 60-75% mix as the parts will be staged. My fear is that the guys that ordered SS models will be deferred in production because GM might not have the correct mix of parts and engines in the pipeline.

Remember, production starts in 6 weeks +/- a week. ...and back when, it was nothing to order a car and wait 6 weeks for delivery.
I remember a thread on cz28.com where people were freaking out about the unfavorable production split for the SS since something like 84% of pre-orders have been SS's. Fbodfather came in to calm the crowd by saying that although they can't build 84% V8's right off the bat, he something to the affect of "this will not be an issue". So, I'm hoping there will not be a material damper on the V8 production.

Also, since you are first in your dealer's queue, I think you should expect delivery much earlier than Memorial day (I would be PISSED). You figure if they start production Feb 16th +/- a week, the first customers should be taking delivery by the second week in March. I am hoping to receive mine before the end of March.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
The good news is GM has so much inventory of other products that they can put 120 % effort into this one. Same goes for the sub suppliers...CAMARO may be the only parts they need to make /ship.This could improve the ramp up time. Sure no shortage of staff.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
well, the can borrow V8's from the Bowling green plant.......by the way their pushing vettes on dealers, sounds like there's quite a surplus there...
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
RS/SSYellowJacket
Old School

Drives: Ordered Yellow/Black RS/SS2 M6
Parts will be the main factor in speed. THe line can only move so fast and only so many people can work on it. More hands does not mean it will go faster. Too many hands an dit could slow down.

I will get mine when it arrives. While I am anxiouse to see, smell and drive it I am also patient enough to wait on it. I am not worried about so an dso getting thiers first. As long as mine is like I want it I will be happy.
RS/SSYellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
T! E! X! A! S!

Drives: No car
If you didint pre-order the camaro when would you be able to buy it from the dealer. Or just get one?
T! E! X! A! S! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by T! E! X! A! S! View Post
If you didint pre-order the camaro when would you be able to buy it from the dealer. Or just get one?
no one knows. but a good guess is probably not till mid fall. right now GM probably has enough orders to keep them busy through june-july. Now throw in that people are going to see these out on the road then order them, so any order up till june or july is just going to extend how long it is. then its going to be another month after they stop making allocated orders before the for sale cars start to show up at the dealers.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by T! E! X! A! S! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
no one knows. but a good guess is probably not till mid fall. right now GM probably has enough orders to keep them busy through june-july. Now throw in that people are going to see these out on the road then order them, so any order up till june or july is just going to extend how long it is. then its going to be another month after they stop making allocated orders before the for sale cars start to show up at the dealers.
TEXAS, you (or someone) might get lucky enough to find a pre-order at a dealer that once it got delivered either the person no longer wanted it, couldn't afford it, etc. Other than that, bob2 has it about right. Just too many unknowns at this point to say for sure, but fall would be a good guess. Unless of course you want to pay $$$$$$$$$ for one.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I'm just hoping since my order was priority one at my dealer and I ordered Oct 13th, that my could be built by the end of Feb. Delivered by mid to late March.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
What is this "priority 1" stuff? How do you know what your priority was? I was first at my dealership and ordered on October 13th, does that mean I have priority one?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
GoldFire
Newborn Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Oh nevermind, I'm stupid. I just looked on the workbencch page and saw that it says priority 1.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
man, by the end of next year there will be so many Camaros on the road. And I'll be loving evey minute of it!!!(said in Kramer's Voice)

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote