Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
2.4 Upper, Kooks mod results

After picking up my ZL1 a month ago, I decided to get the first round of mods done so I could start enjoying it immediately! After having almost the same mods on my previous ZL1, I was anxious to get them done as I knew exactly what I've been missing. I installed a 2.4 upper Metco pulley, and had the blower snout ported by Jeremy Formato. I installed a VMAX throttle body, RotoFab CAI and ID850 injectors. I swapped the plugs out to NGK BR7EF (gapped to .035) and threw in a 160 Tstat. I went with the Kooks headers and high flow cats and left the NPP mufflers on the car for now. I ended up with 606RHWP and 599RWTQ with SAE correction.

Now I have to decide if I'm going with the BTR Stage 3 cam, or something a little milder when Formato comes back in town for tuning in March!
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
After picking up my ZL1 a month ago, I decided to get the first round of mods done so I could start enjoying it immediately! After having almost the same mods on my previous ZL1, I was anxious to get them done as I knew exactly what I've been missing. I installed a 2.4 upper Metco pulley, and had the blower snout ported by Jeremy Formato. I installed a VMAX throttle body, RotoFab CAI and ID850 injectors. I swapped the plugs out to NGK BR7EF (gapped to .035) and threw in a 160 Tstat. I went with the Kooks headers and high flow cats and left the NPP mufflers on the car for now. I ended up with 606RHWP and 599RWTQ with SAE correction.

Now I have to decide if I'm going with the BTR Stage 3 cam, or something a little milder when Formato comes back in town for tuning in March!
Nice HP Increase - Keep Us Posted
Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
unssafe

Drives: 94 impala ss 396 6spd
hey now,

very nice,

from what i have heard stock manuals dyno about 500 hp, so you have added around 110 hp with those few mods. i am always looking for a way to go with mods and from what i have picked up on the zl1 forum you went with a unconventional path to modding, i am talking about the ported snout and upper 2.4 ( before the lower pulley swap ) and a lower thermostat. on my 94 lt1 based engine the first thing you did was install a 160 thermostat but it is not a popular thing to do here on the zl1 forum which seams counter intuitive to me but i have not looked into why to keep the stock thermostat.

i have a 13 as well and it is known for the factory recall for the snout portion of the supercharger to loosen up and rattle. is what you did a "DIY" fix for that? can i send that out or do a core charge and just bolt the ported one on? what is a normal price for that? did you need a new belt?

i live in a place where i can use no cats when i upgrade to long tube headers so that is way i will go.

the hellcat will be out soon and i want to keep up with them.

i threw lots of questions at you, hope you can answer them.

thanks,
unssafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
Yeah, its a little unconventional, but I forgot to mention I replaced the stock spring loaded isolator for the solid one. Once the snout was off for that replacement, I just decided to port it and replace the pulley. Hopefully that replacement will allow me to stay out of the warranty shop with my blower!

Jeremy Formato has snout cores in stock. He shipped me a ported snout, and I requested the 2.4 pulley to be installed, and he supplied me with the isolator as well. I think that was $650, plus a refundable $400 core charge. I didn't want any downtime, so I did the snout swap on the weekend before he was in town for tuning.

Honestly, I have no thoughts on the 160 Tstat. Its $30, and 2 bolts to change. lol
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #5
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Nice gain man! Very nice!
I'm doing the exact same mods very soon here. Minus the headers, may do those down the road... My snout and tb will be ported by New Era....along with my tune.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
Nice gain man! Very nice!
I'm doing the exact same mods very soon here. Minus the headers, may do those down the road... My snout and tb will be ported by New Era....along with my tune.

Man, do it ALL at once . I started with just a 650 HP package and ended up at 750 HP from ADM. See my sig

A6 - 630 RWHP/620 RWTQ
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Man, do it ALL at once . I started with just a 650 HP package and ended up at 750 HP from ADM. See my sig

A6 - 630 RWHP/620 RWTQ
I may but not really wanting headers to much. I think the stock Npp exhaust is loud enough with my M2W switch , I'm afraid headers even with high flow cats will make it to loud.. That's Why I wasn't going to do them... at least for now anyways....

Old 10-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I may but not really wanting headers to much. I think the stock Npp exhaust is loud enough with my M2W switch , I'm afraid headers even with high flow cats will make it to loud.. That's Why I wasn't going to do them... at least for now anyways....

I agree.... When I did the workat ADM he suggested doing a resonated X pipe which is what I have. I had the same concerns. Sounds better than stock and when closed, it's quiet. I have a few videos posted on the forums. Just a thought.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372952
Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

just wire the flaps closed and sound won't be an issue at all. my car is very livable without cats and the flaps forced closed. you can buy other part but it is literally free to just apply 12v to the flap controller or you can gnd the leg of the exhaust relay as well.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
I agree.... When I did the workat ADM he suggested doing a resonated X pipe which is what I have. I had the same concerns. Sounds better than stock and when closed, it's quiet. I have a few videos posted on the forums. Just a thought.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372952
Definitely tempting! Left a post on your thread.
Great build man... love it....

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
just wire the flaps closed and sound won't be an issue at all. my car is very livable without cats and the flaps forced closed. you can buy other part but it is literally free to just apply 12v to the flap controller or you can gnd the leg of the exhaust relay as well.
Thing is headers are only worth 10 rwhp ..not sure the gain warrants the cost. Kind of like the big gulp (adds 5 rwhp)