Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Buying a compressor... do NOT want to underbuy.

Yes I know these questions have come up plenty in this section. If it's a repeat please humor me.

I can run power to the garage if needed. Would rather not but making sure I have what I want is more important.

What is it that I want?

I want to be able to break lugs and remove a wheel (so 5 to 6 lugs) with the lugs at 120 lbs. of torque or more without having to wait for the tank.

I found a number of great compressors that are 30 gallon or even 20 but I do run my air ratchet and some of those bolts such as head bolts get long and require more air so I'd might want a bigger tank. Next tank after 30 is most of the time 60. Most 60g tanks have engines requiring 220 though I did find two compressors with 60g tanks and 2hp motors requiring only 115v. The bigger tanks have more CFM capabilities.

Pros and cons of the following. (all CFMs @90psi)

20 Gallon tank at 5 CFM and 115v / 2hp
26 Gallon tank at 7 CFM and 115v / 2hp
30 Gallon tank at 5 CFM and 115v / 2hp
30 Gallon tank at 5 CFM and 115v or 230v / 3hp
60 Gallon tank at 7 CFM and 115v / 2hp
60 Gallon tank at 10 CFM and 230v / 3.5hp

Came up with these two. 60 gallon tanks with 2hp motors so no running 220 and I'd have my higher CFM.

I might just run some 220 out and get the bigger engine anyway. I know I am not running a shop but the cost is essentially the same other than the romex. I have an unused 20A sitting in the breaker box.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p4786.html

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p8160.html

The ultimate question here is can I break 6 - 120 lb lugs easily without having to wait for air at all on a 30 gallon 5cfm compressor?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Randy, think of it like this... your maggie is an air compressor. It was designed to keep 376 cubic inches of air compressed to ~6psi @~6000 rpm (the engine)

A Honda turbine (small body) can compress 100 cubic inches @ 6psi x 6000 rpm, but it would puke it's guts trying to compress 376 cu in.

#1 thing is spec the compressor, the compressor is factory spec'd with a minimum electric motor hp rating. The tank is only a storage device made to keep the compressor from running almost continuously.

Make sense?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

It does make sense. I just want to be able to have enough torque to break really tight bolts. I have used friends compressors and would break a couple lugs and have to wait a minute or so to get the others.

It would not be that big of a deal but for litteraly a hundred dollars more I can get the bigger ones if the little ones won't so it.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Always overbuy tools...

If one is just right, buy the next bigger one... Tools evolve and air demands change... As the compressor wears, it wont run quite as fast and the pistons will leak a bit more as cylinders widen out with time... I know that's easy to say, but it's true, with both the compressor and with the tools.

I've seen a 3/4 inch impact put out right at 1000 ft/lbs, and a 1 inch impact couldn't break the same nuts the next day... Tools wear and use more air over time... They will often still do the same job it just takes more air to do so...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
As for the power, if you can get a 220 volt compressor for roughly the same money, go that route... It will save you money over time... If you have any room left in the breaker box, put a 2 pole breaker of recommended size based on the compressor you buy and be done with it... Yes the romex will cost a bit more but you will save money over time with electricity costs...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
The problem with DIY type compressors, the motors tend to be over-rated. I have an OLD Worthington industrial compressor that uses a 1.5hp 220v motor, that motor is a solid 1.5 hp. A true 1.5 hp 110v motor would draw almost 20 amps, and I think that's about the upper limit for household 110v wiring, most breakers are 15amp.

In other words, when they advertise a 2hp 110v electric motor they're WAY overrating the hp, 2hp 110v would need close to 30 amps to run.

If there are any electricians, please correct me if I'm off

{edit} they're probably also overrating their pumps cfm and volume, be aware.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
ModBargains

Drives: Camaro RS/SS, 996TT, E90 335i
Go big, I have this one in my shop at home and it never runs out of air:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48365-1126-T...7C1&facetInfo=

ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I have a 30 gallon and use it all the time with no problems doing what you ask and more. Now you know if you get a 30 you will wish you would of gotten a 60 so just get it over with. I would of gotten a 60 but I wanted mine to be somewhat mobile for moving. If i had a house I knew I was going to stay in I would get the 60 or 80 gallon compressor.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Supercharged Red

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 Victory Red
Buy a 60 gallon 2 stage. You will always find uses for it.
472 RWHP 466 RWTQ 12.11 @ 114.3 MPH 1.81 60' Pacific Raceways Kent, WA 6/6/13
Supercharged Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

2-stage is money! But if you could find a used one, they're industrial quality. That's what I did, but had to change 3-ph motor woth single phase. Made in the 60's and still kickin'a$$

This looks nice...
http://www.amazon.com/Quincy-Single-...air+compressor

Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Mr Twisty

Everyone is giving good advice, mixed with a little Tim Allen "MO POWAH!" attitude lol

Before you decide on tank size, just know a 60 gallon is large, 80 is HUGE! Takes up some real estate even vertical.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
69SSRS2013LS

Drives: 1969 SSRS Camaro 2013 1LS Camaro
It's not just the compressor that matters make sure you buy good air tools.
I have a Husky 220volt 60 gallon single stage ,drove me nuts with the lack of guts it had kept kicking myself I did not spend more on a 2 stage.. Then I bought a good air gun with 550 lbs of torque(Husky Air Tool 1/2 in. Impact Wrench model HSTC4140) I paid $100.00 3 years ago on sale now for $49.88
What a difference ,it has yet to hit anything it won't blast right off while using very little air. since then I have been replacing all my air tools with high torque better ones.
69SSRS2013LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

As far as portability I still have a 6 gallon overflow tank and a 3 gallon compressor that I have been using for tires and simple shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
As for the power, if you can get a 220 volt compressor for roughly the same money, go that route... It will save you money over time... If you have any room left in the breaker box, put a 2 pole breaker of recommended size based on the compressor you buy and be done with it... Yes the romex will cost a bit more but you will save money over time with electricity costs...
I was thinking along those same lines. If I run the 220 then the decision is basically over.

Quote:
The problem with DIY type compressors, the motors tend to be over-rated. I have an OLD Worthington industrial compressor that uses a 1.5hp 220v motor, that motor is a solid 1.5 hp. A true 1.5 hp 110v motor would draw almost 20 amps, and I think that's about the upper limit for household 110v wiring, most breakers are 15amp.

In other words, when they advertise a 2hp 110v electric motor they're WAY overrating the hp, 2hp 110v would need close to 30 amps to run.

If there are any electricians, please correct me if I'm off

{edit} they're probably also overrating their pumps cfm and volume, be aware.
Yup, the guy at compressors r us (or whatever they are) on the phone this morning basically told me the same thing. He said that I'd save money on electric because the 220s use less juice than the 110s in the long run. I had specifically asked him what the benefit was to opting for the 220 even on the ones that take either 110 or 220.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains View Post
Go big, I have this one in my shop at home and it never runs out of air:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_48365-1126-T...7C1&facetInfo=
I saw that one too. I think 60g is all I want to make room for. I may actually put it outside and house it in so 80 isn't out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
I have a 30 gallon and use it all the time with no problems doing what you ask and more. Now you know if you get a 30 you will wish you would of gotten a 60 so just get it over with. I would of gotten a 60 but I wanted mine to be somewhat mobile for moving. If i had a house I knew I was going to stay in I would get the 60 or 80 gallon compressor.
I fear you may be right. If the 30 will do what I need I'd be fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged Red View Post
Buy a 60 gallon 2 stage. You will always find uses for it.
This was one of the 'cons' in the pros and cons lists that Bonnie said. She said if I buy the big one that I'm going to want to go buy more pneumatic tools.

Quote:
2-stage is money! But if you could find a used one, they're industrial quality. That's what I did, but had to change 3-ph motor woth single phase. Made in the 60's and still kickin'a$$

This looks nice...
http://www.amazon.com/Quincy-Single-...air+compressor
Saw that one too. Decisions decisions.

Quote:
Everyone is giving good advice, mixed with a little Tim Allen "MO POWAH!" attitude lol

Before you decide on tank size, just know a 60 gallon is large, 80 is HUGE! Takes up some real estate even vertical.
If I house it and put it outside in the backyard it won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SSRS2013LS View Post
It's not just the compressor that matters make sure you buy good air tools.
I have a Husky 220volt 60 gallon single stage ,drove me nuts with the lack of guts it had kept kicking myself I did not spend more on a 2 stage.. Then I bought a good air gun with 550 lbs of torque(Husky Air Tool 1/2 in. Impact Wrench model HSTC4140) I paid $100.00 3 years ago on sale now for $49.88
What a difference ,it has yet to hit anything it won't blast right off while using very little air. since then I have been replacing all my air tools with high torque better ones.
The ones I have are not a bottleneck. I just need more power.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I was given a Husky 2-stage 220V compressor about 2 years ago, which presented me with a similar problem. I didn't want to run a 220V circuit through the finished walls in the garage. My solution was to install a double pole breaker into one of the unused slots in the breaker box, and locate a 220 outlet right below the box. I bought some remnant cable from Lowe's, wired one end to the compressor, and put a 220V plug on the other end. I think I spent about $50 parts and cable all combined.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote