Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
A drain plug is a good idea and reduces the mess when dropping the pan. What about changing the filter? Doesn't this trans have a filter like the older TH350/400 trans had that required dropping the pan to replace?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
A drain plug is a good idea and reduces the mess when dropping the pan. What about changing the filter? Doesn't this trans have a filter like the older TH350/400 trans had that required dropping the pan to replace?
It does have a filter.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Goliath

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS L99 A6
Why is the drain plug on the upper side and not on the lower side of the pan? Why is the fill-plug hidden from us? A shaddy design by GM who wants us to bring our cars into their service department in order to steal money our hard working dollars. It's the same tactic, well used by BMW and LEXUS, to lure us into their service department because we can't do it or lack the tools.

Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Why is the drain plug on the upper side and not on the lower side of the pan? Why is the fill-plug hidden from us? A shaddy design by GM who wants us to bring our cars into their service department in order to steal money our hard working dollars. It's the same tactic, well used by BMW and LEXUS, to lure us into their service department because we can't do it or lack the tools.
Really? That's what you think is in play here?

A. 99% of the population never change the trans fluid themselves.

B. GM recommends changing it every 100,000 miles. That's hardly a ploy to get you in the service department to make all kinds of money for GM.

C. I don't see much point in CHANGING fluid by draining the pan when there's still a lot of fluid in the transmission. It's either a multi-step process or a trip to a transmission shop to do a FLUSH.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post

B. GM recommends changing it every 100,000 miles. That's hardly a ploy to get you in the service department to make all kinds of money for GM.

C. I don't see much point in CHANGING fluid by draining the pan when there's still a lot of fluid in the transmission. It's either a multi-step process or a trip to a transmission shop to do a FLUSH.

To the OP... Nice DIY post..
Old 12-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post

And 99% of the population don't drive their Camaros hard enough to require a transmission fluid change before 100,000 miles.

Ditto the differential. People have reported dirty differential fluid, but it's supposed to look chalky due to the friction plates!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
Why is the drain plug on the upper side and not on the lower side of the pan?

because its not a drain plug,, it is the fill level indicator plug!

check out the pic i posted,, when fluid flows out of the plug the level is full
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #22
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Camaro 1 is right.

Alot of the newer cars and the 97-now corvette's do not have drain plugs. Those are actually the fill plugs.To drain it you drop the pan. To fill you need the car running and start pumping tranny fluid into the fill (some people think drain)plug. It can get very messy. Car has to be level.I do it on the lift with someone in the car to hit it in gear ect to make sure it is full.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Camaro 1 is right.

Alot of the newer cars and the 97-now corvette's do not have drain plugs. Those are actually the fill plugs.To drain it you drop the pan. To fill you need the car running and start pumping tranny fluid into the fill (some people think drain)plug. It can get very messy. Car has to be level.I do it on the lift with someone in the car to hit it in gear ect to make sure it is full.
I don't know why people keep thinking the myth of no fill-plug. I found the fill-plug. See picture. The drain-plug get me about 2.5 quarts out when unplug it on level ground. Don't unplug the drain-plug if you don't want a big mess on the floor.

I agreed that taking the whole pan out will take most of the fluid out, but you can't never get 100% old fluid out unless one do a system flush. Tilting the head of the car up will yield another 1 qt or more (depend on your slope). By taking 3.5qt out of 6.7qt, you can reduce the wear and tear of the gears by 50%.

Last edited by Goliath; 12-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #24
camaro1

the total 6l80e system capacity is 10.9 qts

and why do you keep calling it a drain plug,, its not a drain plug!
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #25
Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
the total 6l80e system capacity is 10.9 qts

and why do you keep calling it a drain plug,, its not a drain plug!

1) 2010 Camaro Owner's Manual page 11-3 states that V8 Engine 6-Speed Automatic capacity is 6.7qt
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33993

2) I'll call it an outlet-plug then, just to keep you off my neck. ?

3) Have you unplug (so called fill-plug) and try to put a tube through the hole to refill the pan? It's impossible because you will hit the fillter blocking the hole to receive any kind of inlet tubes or fluid in. That is why you need to use the fill-plug from the top of the transmission, not the bottom plug.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
camaro1

that is pan/ case capacity,, the total system capacity is 10.9 qts,, right from the gm service manual

i dont know of any auto trans that is only 6qts total capacity,, and i have built a few of them.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
camaro1

ill be adding a dipstick to mine this spring,, here is the info:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pontia...-36-6l80e.html
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
Goliath

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
ill be adding a dipstick to mine this spring,, here is the info:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pontia...-36-6l80e.html
Thanks for the info Camaro1. I'm looking into this as well.