Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
2007 Chevy Silverado "T-Boned at 65 MPH"

UPDATED!

Hello all,

I am just now getting around to posting these pictures of my 2007 Chevy Silverado crash. This happened about a month ago now and regretfully was completely my fault.

I have been driving in and out of this intersection everyday since I was 16 years old. It happens to be a very dangerous one and I have personally stopped and helped in 3 other crashes that have occurred at this location in the past. These include one tragic fatality.

The 2007 Silverado was my Father's work truck, we were driving to get gas, wash the truck and then take it to a late afternoon meeting about an hour away. I just happened to be driving that day and it's a miracle that my Father and I both had our seat belts on. My Dad is notorious for not wearing his seat belt very often.

I waited at the stop sign for the cars to clear so that I could cross the 65 MPH double lane highway and continue on. I waited for a large truck and saw an opening to cross that was safe. I pulled out and Never Saw the other car traveling in the fast lane. It was my fault, no doubt and I only had time to watch the car smack right into my driver side door and before we knew it, we were on our side.

My first reaction was if my Father was alright. Thankfully he was and then it became time to climb out of the truck. I couldn't get out fast enough because my attention had turned to the other car and it's passengers.
My heart sank when I saw that two people were in the other car and one was very elderly.

We were hit by a 2003 Lexus 300RX type SUV. it was a Grandmother and her Grandson and thank the Lord they were fine! Both front air bags on the Lexus went off and the car held up extremely well! I was impressed with it and so were the fire fighters.

Our 2007 Silverado didn't have side impact air bags and the front airbags did not deploy as is normal in a side impact. I was even more amazed at how strong that truck was and how well it protected us. The Lexus SUV never had time to slow down and hit us at 65 MPH+ with it's cruise control on. It hit directly in my driver side door and the pictures don't do the truck justice at how strong it really is.

All involved were very sore the next few days but luckily no injuries to speak of. Please take a look at the pictures, sorry they are phone pics. I will be posting more of the interior and other side in a few days.

Summary: It was my fault and I was driving and take full blame. All Involved are sore but have NO INJURIES and both vehicles held up extremely well, especially our Chevrolet! 65 MPH t-bone, flip and we walked away. Could have been a lot worse!

Needless to say, after walking away from a Chevy Silverado, we are now driving another 2010 Silverado with side impact air bags!

UPDATE:

I have finally got copies of the pictures back I talked about posting. Took almost 3 months!
I have added them below and a new one of the new 2010 Silverado we bought because of how well the old one held up.

Last edited by leviticus88; 03-23-2010 at 03:36 PM.
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Wow... glad to hear everybody made it out okay.

Those pics are amazing.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Musclebee

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Delivered on 4/23
wow, glad you are both Ok my husband has a 2007 Chevy Silverado
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
This is truly amazing. Glad everyone is safe and sound. I'm guessing the truck had OnStar?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
This is a testament to GM's quality and reliability in the safety sector.

I was in a rollover in an 05 Dodge Ram single cab a few years back, and the truck rolled three times. It held up well enough for the outside seat occupants, but if someone was in the middle seat, they may not be here today. (the roof made a V into the middle seat space)
While working on the pipeline, i witnessed several vehicles after they have been rolled over, new Avalanches, new 350 crew cab fords, new 150 ext. cab fords, and some Blazers. I tell you, i would not want to be in any fords if they rolled over. Crew cab, extended cab, regular cab, they all squish the roof flat down onto the seats!! Even just after only rolling once!
Even the early 2000's Blazer i was riding in when it rolled over held up amazingly well. Didn't even lose any interior space when it rolled once.
I got to compare up close a new 07+ Avalanche with a 08 ford 350 crew cab, both in single rollover's, and there is no comparison. The Ave barely had windows cracked, and the ford's roof was flat.
You know which vehicle i'll be riding in from now on!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
that sounds like an awful intersection
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
That is a heck of a smack!

Glad to hear all involved were not severely injured.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Morepwr
woohoo

Drives: Silverado, 70cutlass, 57chevy&more
I sure am glad nobody was hurt in that crash. Considering the hit that truck took, it didnt fold up all that bad. Very interesting how you can see the frame bent in the one shot.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Updated with more pictures...
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Good to hear that everyone survived and obviously everyone was going to be sore for a while, but at least everyone was o.k.

While the truck obviously took a bad hit, it really doesn't look that bad for such a tremendous force of impact

And I have to agree, only gm and the germans know how to build cars that hold up very well when a crash occurs.
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
camaro5garage

Drives: YELLOW SS/RS
Unhappy OUCH!!!!!

GLAD EVERYONE IS OK!!!!
camaro5garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
you both were very lucky.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
WOW, that truck looks like it held up extremely well considering it was hit by an SUV going 65!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
That truck one hell of a hit and it looks like it held up awesome. Glad everyone is ok!
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote