Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #57
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Problem because people would buy that over the vette? =p
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #58
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I did not know that they CTS-V engine was not forged. Why would they put an engine in the Z-28 that was not forged, makes no sense to me. It's still going to be just as much as a GT500 but with no forgd internals, come on GM. With a forged engine it just opens the door for almost any mod.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #59
cHaotix

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Send a message via AIM to cHaotix Send a message via MSN to cHaotix Send a message via Yahoo to cHaotix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
I did not know that they CTS-V engine was not forged. Why would they put an engine in the Z-28 that was not forged, makes no sense to me. It's still going to be just as much as a GT500 but with no forgd internals, come on GM. With a forged engine it just opens the door for almost any mod.
There isn't even a quoted price yet. Try not to jump the gun.
cHaotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #60
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
Well, the crank is, but it doesn't share the same pistons, rods, bearing caps, and few other exotic bits. All in the name to keep things somewhat affordable I wished they had forged steel rods and aluminum pistons, but I guess they weren't in the works. I can see why no Ti rods and forged caps, but the pistons; I didn't get that one. I know the LS9 revs' higher, which is why they used Ti rods, and maybe even why the forged caps, but I am only guessing.

Too bad though. Still, if it's good enough to go around the 'Ring, it's good enough for me and my current plans You're right though - it probably doesn't have the potential the 500 has :( Who wants like 700 RWHP anyways

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #61
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Well how much can you really see Chevy dumping into their Camaro project? And why would they want a Camaro that only the weathy would drive? It doesnt sound like a Camaro? The laws for cars are only going to get stricker in the next few years and GMs spending cant get to much higher just over one car-theyve already slimmed down. I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up too soon-but I could be wrong.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #62
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ud_lose View Post
DI V8
Hate to sound stupid but...What is DI? It's not Diesel is it?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #63
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleDs View Post
Well how much can you really see Chevy dumping into their Camaro project? And why would they want a Camaro that only the weathy would drive? It doesnt sound like a Camaro? The laws for cars are only going to get stricker in the next few years and GMs spending cant get to much higher just over one car-theyve already slimmed down. I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up too soon-but I could be wrong.
COPOs weren't cheap. Then, you had the ZL1, which costed more than the car itself, if I'm not mistaken, so yeah, I think there's a SLIM chance GM would cater to the more affluent. Do I think this will happen? Probably not. Do I think they should? Certainly not. Why? Because I think GM should directly address the competition, which are going to be Mustang and Challenger models, IMHO. I just don't see a significant change in car-demographics, where you have prior tuner people who are going to come from 350/370Z or even the new Genesis people considering Camaro. I do think GM will get new buyers they didn't have with prior generations, just because this is such a more friendly car.

I don't personally think Camaro shouldn't be for the masses. That's how it started, and I think they should stick to it. I do think there's a market for those who would be willing to spend more on a higher performing car and that they would sell at least a competitive amount to GT500 numbers.

I do hope a lot of us aren't getting all worked up over nothing though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Hate to sound stupid but...What is DI? It's not Diesel is it?
Direct Injection. High pressure fuel injectors are placed in the combustion chambers, as opposed to the intake runners in the intake manifold, and the fuel is atomized a lot finer so it burns more completely, increasing efficiency and lowering emissions. I think the LLT runs something like 2000-plus psi in the fuel rails, opposed to many MPFI engines, like the LS3/L99, where they run somewhere from 40-50-os-so psi.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #64
Bad@ssCamaro

Direct Injection. High pressure fuel injectors are placed in the combustion chambers, as opposed to the intake runners in the intake manifold, and the fuel is atomized a lot finer so it burns more completely, increasing efficiency and lowering emissions. I think the LLT runs something like 2000-plus psi in the fuel rails, opposed to many MPFI engines, like the LS3/L99, where they run somewhere from 40-50-os-so psi.[/QUOTE]

Ok, Thanks..

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #65
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Direct Injection. High pressure fuel injectors are placed in the combustion chambers, as opposed to the intake runners in the intake manifold, and the fuel is atomized a lot finer so it burns more completely, increasing efficiency and lowering emissions. I think the LLT runs something like 2000-plus psi in the fuel rails, opposed to many MPFI engines, like the LS3/L99, where they run somewhere from 40-50-os-so psi.
Ok, Thanks..[/QUOTE]

I think I got most of that right

I like your sig'

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #66
BumbleDs

I see what youre saying and I would agree. My only concern is with Ligenfelter/Hen and everyone else taking the SS and modifying in such ways, and the 'hero' Z28 to be in perhaps small numbers, would GM take the risk of competing against itself through aftermarket crowd just for same end results as Hen? Although the Z28 is more 'catered' with warrenty and the 'this is how i want it get it to me' ordership, which already has proven strong-but most of us already bought one and cant afford a trade so soon, or another one in the driveway. what if the, dare say, the new Z28, has a MyStErY motor?? ooooooo. Perhaps they want to take on the Taurus with a twin turbo V6? Food for thought?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #67
Bad@ssCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Ok, Thanks..
I think I got most of that right

I like your sig' [/QUOTE]

Thanks, Got the image from FTP performance website (hope they don't mind me advertising for them ) I can't wait for the Z!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #68
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I see what youre saying and I would agree. My only concern is with Ligenfelter/Hen and everyone else taking the SS and modifying in such ways, and the 'hero' Z28 to be in perhaps small numbers, would GM take the risk of competing against itself through aftermarket crowd just for same end results as Hen? Although the Z28 is more 'catered' with warrenty and the 'this is how i want it get it to me' ordership, which already has proven strong-but most of us already bought one and cant afford a trade so soon, or another one in the driveway. what if the, dare say, the new Z28, has a MyStErY motor?? ooooooo. Perhaps they want to take on the Taurus with a twin turbo V6? Food for thought?
I think you're totally right on that. I'll tell you, though, that for me, I'd take a 450 RWHP OEM Z28 from GM (and add a pulley and some bolt-ons) opposed to a 500 RWHP tuner-SS because I know Z28 has a powerplant that's been through Hell and back. You're right, though, IMHO, because I don't know how many others would feel the same. Great point.

As long as the MyStErY motor has 8-cylinders, I won't complain, lol Okay, I won't complain as long as it has the performance. I need a big V8 though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 09-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #69
BumbleDs

lol well I dont think wed have to worry about being a V6, so far everything on the Camaro has been nothing short of perfect-theres litterally a Camaro for everybody. I dont for see a Z28 with a V6. Do you suppose that perhaps itll be a LS3 ish motor, maybe better heads? Or an DOHC Northstar even? I only reason I would suggest that is because of the V8 VVT, seems like a strong "Rally" or "Euro" sport kinda of a motor, which would fit the kinda of car a Z28 comes to play in with the handling and more "fun no matter the RPM range" kind of driving-which is what you get in the likes of the STS. But the 4.6 VVT would seems a little outdated for a Camaro.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #70
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
lol well I dont think wed have to worry about being a V6, so far everything on the Camaro has been nothing short of perfect-theres litterally a Camaro for everybody. I dont for see a Z28 with a V6. Do you suppose that perhaps itll be a LS3 ish motor, maybe better heads? Or an DOHC Northstar even? I only reason I would suggest that is because of the V8 VVT, seems like a strong "Rally" or "Euro" sport kinda of a motor, which would fit the kinda of car a Z28 comes to play in with the handling and more "fun no matter the RPM range" kind of driving-which is what you get in the likes of the STS. But the 4.6 VVT would seems a little outdated for a Camaro.
I'm sure it'll either be a Gen IV (i.e. LS3-based) or Gen V. I remember seeing images of a 6.2L L92 head a few years ago that had a DI injector in the combustion chamber, and with all the DI engines there are out there now, I could definately see that by the time Z28 returns. I think a 4.XL engine may just be a bit too small for a serious performance Camaro because of the "lack" of torque. I was reading a 1st Gen Camaro reference book last night (because I was curious where the Hell I came up with the LS6 454 possibly being available, COPO-style, in a '69) and saw some track numbers for the DZ Z28. To say the lack-luster 15-second 1320' time was a little slow is an understatement, but that dang thing trapped at 101 MPH at the end of the 1320'! All horsepower, and not a lot of low-end torque... It's not a great analogy, but that's kinda' what I'm seeing in my mellon. VVT would be great in any engine though, if you ask me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"