Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
smokay

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT V6 Manual
Injen CAI & MRT 2.0

Guys.
got a question for yall.....

i just ordered Injen Power-flow CAI Long Tube with hydroshield and MRT2.0 exhaust...

did i do the right thing??

ok.. here is my question now..

I saw a lot of pictures of Camaro with Injen CAI... and i realized that the filter goes all the way down till where the left front wheel is at..

and I noticed that there is not a lot of space down there...

do yall think that there is enough space down there to install the hydroshield so i won't fck up my engine when i go through some hardcore rain??

also,

will the hydroshield change any Injen CAI's performance?? (since it covers the filter, it won't be able to suck as much air as it shoould.... )

please respond xD

aite
thanks yall!
smokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
I'm not sure about the shield, but it seems I read on here about some type of covers that go on the filter you can buy which have to be cleaned time to time but will allow you drive through hardcore rain.

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
The hydroshield is just a bonnet-shaped material that slides over the filter. It wont take up much more room than the actual filter does. And I doubt that it will change the performance. It probably allows plenty of air through, but is made of a hydrophobic material that resists water penetration.

Here's a photo of the shield over the filter.
Attached Images

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
That's it!!... good find!

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
There is plenty of space down there... im not sure what you are talking about. Also, the Filter is already super tight, the hydrosheild is nowhere near as tightly woven. So no, it wont restrict air. But just some advice for the future. Ask and research about the mods before you order and regret it. As for the mods you bought, you'll be happy with =)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
I've driven my camaro for hours in driving rain and through foot-deep flooded intersections with the long-tube Injen sans Hydroshield without any incident.

I really didn't think I needed it until that big Pacific storm recently. That reminds me, I need to put on my Hydroshield still.....

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
I've driven my camaro for hours in driving rain and through foot-deep flooded intersections with the long-tube Injen sans Hydroshield without any incident.

I really didn't think I needed it until that big Pacific storm recently. That reminds me, I need to put on my Hydroshield still.....
Mines on order but didn't go hydroshield. JRE said more to keep large things from getting into the filter pleats then to stop rain

I have a ram air duct on my 98 and if you were to get water in that would do it. But no problems there either.I think we need to drive through a river or something for that to happen. These oiled filters I hear(from k&n) are better at keeping water out then the paper ones.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Can someone link me to the actual size for the injen cai hydroshield? My intake is being shipped so I dont know what size to choose from the site.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
smokay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime068 View Post
Can someone link me to the actual size for the injen cai hydroshield? My intake is being shipped so I dont know what size to choose from the site.
ayo mang there is only one size. go up a lil bit and you will see the picture
Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokay View Post
ayo mang there is only one size. go up a lil bit and you will see the picture
If you go on injen's site when your choosing your hydroshield it has a "size" choosing option
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
smokay

Quote:
If you go on injen's site when your choosing your hydroshield it has a "size" choosing option
oh shooot.. i see what you mean..
well, when I bought my PowerFlow injen CAI, there was an option right next to it where I could chooose or not chose to buy hydroshield as well... so im guessing they would chose the right size for my filter....

but i did some research here for you, and seems like the PowerFlow InJen CAI uses "x1022" filters... and hydroshield size for that should be the "XXL - Hydro Shield" which has 6.5'' Base, 8" tall, 5.5"" top...

but wait... let me do some more research.. I am not really sure if that is the right size for Camaro's Powerflow filter.... might be different.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokay View Post
oh shooot.. i see what you mean..
well, when I bought my PowerFlow injen CAI, there was an option right next to it where I could chooose or not chose to buy hydroshield as well... so im guessing they would chose the right size for my filter....

but i did some research here for you, and seems like the PowerFlow InJen CAI uses "x1022" filters... and hydroshield size for that should be the "XXL - Hydro Shield" which has 6.5'' Base, 8" tall, 5.5"" top...

but wait... let me do some more research.. I am not really sure if that is the right size for Camaro's Powerflow filter.... might be different.
Yea, im guessing since injen makes all kind of filters they need different sized shields........I don't have my intake yet so i can really decide how big the filter is in person lol....I want the right fit shield so it won't fall off on me, since the intake goes downward towards the ground
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
smokay

Quote:
Yea, im guessing since injen makes all kind of filters they need different sized shields........I don't have my intake yet so i can really decide how big the filter is in person lol....I want the right fit shield so it won't fall off on me, since the intake goes downward towards the ground
mine is coming by the end of this week.... together with the windshield.
i'll tell you the size of the windshield as soon as I get em..

Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
You want the extra large hydroshield

I ordered the Red one...

Injen Hydro Shield
(Extra-Large Hydro Shield)
Color/Style Red
Part # X-1037RED
SKU 3362510