Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
More work for Oshawa

Good news for Oshawa and GM!

Don't worry...This is not on the flex line with the Camaros, so it won't impact that

http://www.freep.com/article/2010032...lers-to-market
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Excellent...
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Yay!!!
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Very nice.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
That's an interesting solution.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Looks like GM severely underestimated demand for the Equinox/Terrain. Didn't they originally intend for 2 shifts at Ingersoll? Then added a 3rd. Then announced they were going to increase capacity. Now this? Its the best problem they could possibly have, but still all this has to be a lot more expensive than they would like.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Great news, and there was another article associated with that one saying GM could pay off all their Government loans (US and Canadian) By June 2010, 5 years ahead of schedule and a good chance they will even show a profit this year....
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Sorry, but I would rather see Equinox production moved to the idled Springhill, TN plant so some of our fellow Americans can get some GM love...and add a Buick Endeavor (Equinox-based CUV) to the line as well. With 10% unemployment in the US right now, I'm really getting tired of seeing work going to Canada when our own citizens desperately need jobs.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Sorry, but I would rather see Equinox production moved to the idled Springhill, TN plant so some of our fellow Americans can get some GM love...and add a Buick Endeavor (Equinox-based CUV) to the line as well. With 10% unemployment in the US right now, I'm really getting tired of seeing work going to Canada when our own citizens desperately need jobs.
Buick has a smaller 5-passenger CUV to slot below Enclave in the works already. Probably Gamma-II based.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Spring Hill is being idled, especially after Tennessee senator Bob Corker publicly denounced GM for building inferior products. At this point, Janesville Assembly is slated to re-open in case GM needs further production capacity.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Buick has a smaller 5-passenger CUV to slot below Enclave in the works already. Probably Gamma-II based.

I'm sure it's no coincidence that Spring Hill is being idled, especially after Tennessee senator Bob Corker publicly denounced GM for building inferior products. At this point, Janesville Assembly is slated to re-open in case GM needs further production capacity.
No need to punish workers and their families because some idiot politician doesn't like GM cars. Besides, there is a very high probability that Corker won't be there past November.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
A day late and a dollar short.

This should have been done MONTHS ago.....the demand "peak" is moving behind us now.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
At this point, Janesville Assembly is slated to re-open in case GM needs further production capacity.
This would be interesting - I was told last week that all the equipment was moved out and is rather bare inside...Janesville was a major distribution center for other cars and trucks, but that comes to an end as all chevys coming into Wisconsin will be farmed out to independant drivers as AAG loses 150 or so jobs. Many are retiring.

The independants have their own equipment - should be real interesting when dealing with any claims for in-transit damage. I was told one dealer had a claim denied with the new delivery service, because there was no way to track which hauler actually dropped the cars involved in the claim....

We lost a huge Tahoe / Suburban market here with many people loyal to GM's Janesville production facility. We never had any quality issues out of Janesville I was aware of. It will be an interesting next 12 months.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesZ View Post
Oshawa is about 2 hours away from the Ingersoll plant, Spring Hill Tennessee is over 12 hours away plus a border crossing. Oshawa is the closest GM assembly plant to Ingersoll and the Impala line is only running 2 shifts when it was set up to run 3. They are shipping complete bodies for paint and final assembly. They aren't setting up a complete production facility, they are utilizing capacity at a nearby plant. So even if it wouldn't break contracts with GM Canada, and void labour agreements with the CAW and Ontario government, it still wouldn't make sense to ship completed bodies to Tenessee to paint them and finish off the assembly.

We're not exactly swimming in jobs in Ontario. We're at about 9% unemployment right now (about double what it is for the rest of the provinces), largely because of the slack in the auto industry. In the city of Oshawa itself, the truck plant just got shut down last year, and thet was a loss of much more than the 700 this move is bringing back.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote