Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Firebird2xc

Drives: car
2013 Camaro 1LT/V6 Intake/Exhaust Mods

Hey all.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 1LT/RS. My last car was a 1997 Camaro RS that they practically had to peel me off of at the dealer.

Now that I'm getting comfortable in the new one, I miss the exhaust note my old ride had. Which Exhaust mod would you put on this car? There are a few- Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc.. An axel-back Flowmaster American Thunder muffler set gives a nice note and adds about 15 HP on the top end... But there's no official kit out for the 2013 yet. Would the 2012 kit still fit? And is there really a benefit in cat-back vs. axel-back?

Also- I want to put an intake kit on, like a K&N Typhoon kit, or something of the like. A dealer told me that "over oiling of the filter on a cold air kit" can void your warranty because it will fry the O2 sensor- that's the first I've heard of this. I'm told the Moss-Magnuson(?) Act says that you're still covered.

Lastly- love the MyLink system, but my car did not come with the Boston Acoustics stereo upgrade. Keeping the MyLink in place, what can I do for the sound output quality? I'd love to get something crisper in the cabin.

Thoughts?
Firebird2xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
MR.Sarge

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
First welcome!!

Secondly, the axle back system won't yield you any gains in HP at all. Only give you the sound you want. If you want some type of gain, you best go with a catback exhaust system. I personally am looking at investing in the Corsa Catback system, when funds are available, but there is a list of different systems if you want to look at your options here's the link : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261607
MR.Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I love my Borla but it depends on what kind of sound you want. Talk to Apex Chase. He is really good at talking to you about what you want & matching you up with just the right system. Great customer service & prices. Just send him a PM. Good luck deciding. Here is a professionally done video of mine at start up, drive-by and take off. I'll post one at the drag strip too.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
First off welcome to C5 and

As above said exhaust is very subjective. With that being said I would grab a nice pair of headphones and listen to the exhaust sticky in both the LFX and LLT. I personally choose the MRT V2 and love it. Gives me the sound I want at a very reasonable price. And also yes a exhaust that works with 12 V6 will work with yours. Now for the intake I personally choose the Cold Air Inductions inc CAI. I love the way it looks and it functions just as great. One of the best and one of the most popular on the market. For both of these products Apex Motorsports is one of the best places to get them. They make some package deals at great prices. They are a sponsor on the forum. Look up Apex-Chase for some more info on that.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
RubyCamaro
Jan

Here is a clip at WOT at the drag strip. Welcome aboard. And yeah, listen with headphones.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
Firebird2xc

First things first: Pictures

Here are some quick phone-cam shots. Sometime soon I intend to get a proper shot. Possibly involving cleavage.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Very nice!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Firebird2xc

The third shot down you can see the family lines- that's the old girl on the right.

As for no performance boost from axle-back exhaust mods, how do they explain this then?
Skip to 4 minutes for the dyno test.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Firebird2xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Very nice!
Thanks. LOVE THIS CAR.

For those interested- this is why Dodge calls it a 'Challenger' and not a 'Victor'.

Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
Gman5001

Drives: 1lt crystal red metallic
I would check out the ark N-ll I just got in on my v6 and I love it, very loud

Gman5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
Congrats on the new car....I hope you enjoy it as much as your last Camaro!

Here is my cat back exhaust with high flow cats...Solo Performance...It sounds awesome and has ZERO drone...

Best to listen to any sound clips with ear buds...

2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I love my Borla but it depends on what kind of sound you want. Talk to Apex Chase. He is really good at talking to you about what you want & matching you up with just the right system. Great customer service & prices. Just send him a PM. Good luck deciding. Here is a professionally done video of mine at start up, drive-by and take off. I'll post one at the drag strip too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
First off welcome to C5 and

As above said exhaust is very subjective. With that being said I would grab a nice pair of headphones and listen to the exhaust sticky in both the LFX and LLT. I personally choose the MRT V2 and love it. Gives me the sound I want at a very reasonable price. And also yes a exhaust that works with 12 V6 will work with yours. Now for the intake I personally choose the Cold Air Inductions inc CAI. I love the way it looks and it functions just as great. One of the best and one of the most popular on the market. For both of these products Apex Motorsports is one of the best places to get them. They make some package deals at great prices. They are a sponsor on the forum. Look up Apex-Chase for some more info on that.
Thanks for the mention and kind words.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Firebird2xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thanks for the mention and kind words.
Apex- nice to know ya, sir.

So riddle me this- I'm down with a deeper, richer exhaust note but I'm also looking for HP gains when it all comes down. I've found evidence that the Camaro exhaust flows pretty well with factory pipes. This makes me wonder if a full on cat-back would be a waste, and I should just invest in an axle back.

Thoughts?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Firebird2xc

First mod- complete.

Thanks for the input, all.

I wound up going with a DynoMax VT axle-back system.

All the growl at start and pedal-heavy moments, all the cabin quiet and drone-free cruising at highway speeds so you can hear the music.

.... unless you mash the pedal and the engine downshifts. You really hear it then. I self-installed it- a first in exhaust applications for me. The kits and instructions made it super easy. The tips look awesome.

Cheers!