Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Too much Orange Peel on Black Camaros

I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Typical, a good buff/polish job will help with that.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Link in the Sig....
Old 05-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
REVENGE

Drives: 1999 Mustang GT
[QUOTE=rray200;488938] No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.
REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
I went in to a local Chev dealer today here in town where I heard they had a black 2LT and went in to check it out. They only have one V6 in the showroom and even though I want to get an SS, I just went in to see it up close in person. No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

The one thing I didn't like was the excessive orange peel in the paint. It might be just this particular Camaro, but the orange peel was a bit excessive in the black paint of the one I sat in today. Have others here noticed the Orange peel in the paint being a bit much?
all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
racert33
waiting for white

Drives: vertically challenged 95 c/k
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
all cars have orange peel now-a-days. It's mostly because of the waterbased paints that are used.
well, thats sh!tty. how hard is it to mass produce cars with good paint jobs?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
at the pace they have to produce, probably pretty hard.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by racert33 View Post
Very. You have to run the line rate so slow in the ovens that either you have a low line rate and low production or you have multiple paint lines which is millions of $$$ in investment. Either way it's big bucks to you, the buyer.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
CamaroHutch

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:

The only thing I can agree with is it is a little harder to see the lines in the black. I noticed that as well. But it is still looks quite bad ass

2SS RS RJT

Delivery?? 5/27/09 #10630

AFTERMARKET:
Hurst STS
Borla ATAK Catback
CamaroHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
if you want show quality paint job go to a custom shop should be able to get one for about 10 15 thou.indv.vs.mass. prod. ive seen red, yellow silver camaros they look great to me . paint not as nice as my 67 .didnt cost as much either.
camaro67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
[QUOTE=REVENGE;489036]
Quote:
No offense to anyone who has a black one, but I think black does not do this car's killer lines justice. I think the lighter colours like silver, IOM, Yellow and Red accentuate the great shape of this car better.

QUOTE]

You kind of lost some credibility when you mentioned silver. Silver is just the most plain color you can have on a car. It just makes your car invisible. You can talk abut lines all you want but the fact is you put a silver camaro on the street next to a red or black camaro the silver car might as well not be there. I remember when I got my mustang a few years back someone on my block had a silver mustang. Both cars would be parked on the street. I would sit out and watch people walk past and not notice the silver mustang but their eyes would get drawn to the red mustang. I was amazing how you have the same model car but one looked plain and old. The silver car looked dull. It was pointless to try to wax and wash it hoping it would shine. It never did. It was a new car that looked like it had years on it simply because of its boring color.

Also on the next black someone parked a silver viper on the street. I almost walked pass it and I noticed no one else even realized a they were walking past a Viper either. I was the only one who gave it a second look. That would never happen with a shiny black or Red Viper. Especially in that area. Silver is just plain and dull. There is no shine to that color. I am happy there are people who think Silver is a decent color because it makes the cars others pick stand out.
I beg to differ the reason they whent with silver in the concept is because it brings out the lines in the car. Ask Fbodfather, straight from the horses mouth. BTW I mean that lovingly Scott.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Cut and buff. Not a big deal.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392

I can't recall exactly where, but there is/was a thread discussing this matter.

EVERY CAR has orange peel.

A LITTLE "ELBOW GREASE" AND A GOOD QUALITY WAX/POLISH WILL IMPROVE THE APPEARANCE 100%.

GM/Chevrolet has done a very good job, IMO, with the painting of the 5th Gen., as well as its latest vehicles.

Be reasonable; EVERYONE wants their 5th Gen., yesterday, and they want it at a price they feel is reasonable. So, if GM retools the painting process, resulting in a slower process, time spent wet sanding, polishing, etc., so there is no orange peel, and then the higher costs for that process as well as paying for more time, well, you get my point.

I've seen red, yellow, silver, and black 5th Gens., so far, and doing ALOT of detailing work, I look at the paint on these cars and smile as, with a little polishing, they look amazing.

As for which color looks better on the 5th Gen., they all look good. Its just a matter of preference.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
Phil Oliver

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
I disagree with your take on silver. I find of all the colours it brings out the lines of the Camaro the best. Probably why GM chose silver as the colour for the concept.