Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
DadsGen5

Drives: 2010, 1973 Camaros
Advice Needed - Supply Fuel Line Damaged

I have no idea how this happened, but something nicked the fuel supply line just in front of the right rear tire. Last night, it the puncture opened and I was leaking fuel to the ground until there was no pressure in the line (fuel pump off).

Any suggestions on the proper quick fix? My plan so far is to cut the line and splice in a piece of 3/8" fuel hose with band tightening clamps on each end. The original fuel line is a poly material, so I am hoping the pressure of the clamp and rubber hose will still create a seal under the fuel pump pressure.

My only guess is something I hit in the road nicked the supply fuel line, but in all my years of driving, I've never seen a fuel line exposed like this. Seems like a possible fire hazzard / disaster waiting to happen if it had blown fuel back over the exhaust .... IDK ... surprised the heck out of me.

The entire supply line appears to go up over the gas tank. I'm not ready or have the time to drop it ... any advice on the best repair approach is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help. BTW, 2010 Camaro SS and of course, out of warranty!
DadsGen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Warranty would not have covered anyway, but there is still a lot of pressure there and with no flares to hold the line, even with hose clamps could come free and spray fuel. Sorry to tell you, but the only real fix to safely do is replace the line with a new one. new line should be less than 100, depending on line
Old 10-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
DadsGen5

sycraft - thanks for the advice. Any experience dropping the tank? Man, I hate the thought of doing it for something as simple as a line, but oh well.

I had heard dropping the tank was a big hassle.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsGen5 View Post
I have no idea how this happened, but something nicked the fuel supply line just in front of the right rear tire. Last night, it the puncture opened and I was leaking fuel to the ground until there was no pressure in the line (fuel pump off).

Any suggestions on the proper quick fix? My plan so far is to cut the line and splice in a piece of 3/8" fuel hose with band tightening clamps on each end. The original fuel line is a poly material, so I am hoping the pressure of the clamp and rubber hose will still create a seal under the fuel pump pressure.

My only guess is something I hit in the road nicked the supply fuel line, but in all my years of driving, I've never seen a fuel line exposed like this. Seems like a possible fire hazzard / disaster waiting to happen if it had blown fuel back over the exhaust .... IDK ... surprised the heck out of me.

The entire supply line appears to go up over the gas tank. I'm not ready or have the time to drop it ... any advice on the best repair approach is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help. BTW, 2010 Camaro SS and of course, out of warranty!
Short term you may be able to use something like this. It is used to splice tubing.

Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
DadsGen5

Thanks. I'm taking the picture you posted and hunting one down tomorrow. Fortunately I don't have to drive the car daily.

One of these used in a windshield washer application (like the ones sold in the HELP section of Advance Auto) probably are not safe for fuel, correct? Guess I will start at NAPA....