Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Danprh427

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I like junk mans vids and techniques they both put up good vids and adam has great products i just got the 2 bucket wash system with junkmans foam gun he uses and it works perfectly except for when somone tries to wash my car when im not home and puts swirl marks on it
Danprh427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
Thanks a lot Junkman I think a few more things will start to click better in this old mans brain. You mad a lot of sense we shall see if I got it soon.

I don't think of you as Morgan freeman (the guy is incredible) maybe Denzel would be better. Closer to your age.

I don't remember where I got the 5 pea size drops from ...Back to see your videos again to get it right.

The scratches after the claying went from front to back just the way I clayed it.

Thanks
Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
.I cant see the dealer doing that much damage with just one wash...Also the swirls looked like the way i clayed it from front to back...
You'd be suprised....they can, and often do, and do worse.

If they are the exact direction of your movement, you picked up some grit (likely bonded to the paint) and then ran that over the paint without picking it out of the claybar.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
funny cuz I used the meguiars clay on my hood one day and I had a boatload of scratches show up from it in the same direction as I was rubbing the clay, and I was using ALOT of detail spray, never dropped the clay and did it in about 8x8 sections, kneading the clay after each.

This was about 3 months AFTER getting a full paint correction detail by a professional detailer who is a sponsor of the forum so I know for a fact that the clay didnt just take off the stuff the dealer put on.
Here's what I have learned in all my years of fixing stuff. What people have told me that they did, and what actually happened either wasn't exactly the same or they left out an important detail along the way. If that happened to you, then you should be able to duplicate that problem every time you clay the car. Thus, you could put that occurrence on video, post and I bet that I can tell you exactly what the problem is. I have seen people do crazy things like use water for a lubricant, not use enough of the correct lubricant, try to clay a dusty or dirty car and use the wrong grit of clay (something that will definitely scratch your paint up something nasty).

So without actually being there and seeing what you used and what you did, I would have to say that if you had followed what I do in my videos while using the same supplies that I use in my videos, you would have experienced no adverse affects to claying as you did. I do this in front of crowds of people all the time and once I complete a step like claying, I let them come in real close (I push them up to the car if they stand too far back), and make them inspect the paint REAL close. Claying, if done correctly with the right type of clay will not cause scratches, period. You may experience marring if you don't use enough lubricant but that's not a problem with the process, that's a problem of the user.

Here I am allowing folks to inspect the paint. Notice that I have a 500W halogen that I'm leaning into the paint so that they can see exactly what the paint looks like.

I am a salesman of my methods and technique and there is no one who is as skeptical as I am with what I do. I have to know and believe it 100% backward and forward or I won't preach it. I must be ready for any and all doubters as I am the exact same way when dealing with a salesman. Most salesmen are not prepared for the kinds of questions that I am going to ask. If they are, they make a sale. You have got to bring it when you're selling me something and thus, I bring when I go to the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgraves View Post
I did notice some marring/scratching on my vertical panels after claying and in my opinion that may be due to the detail spray constantly running down because of gravity and not being in position to be an effective lubricant. However, the damage the clay bar caused (if any) was minimal and came out with no issues compared to the existing swirls that were on my car before the correction.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Junkman I think a few more things will start to click better in this old mans brain. You mad a lot of sense we shall see if I got it soon.

I don't think of you as Morgan freeman (the guy is incredible) maybe Denzel would be better. Closer to your age.
Hey, could you tell the ladies that?

Quote:
I don't remember where I got the 5 pea size drops from ...Back to see your videos again to get it right.

The scratches after the claying went from front to back just the way I clayed it.

Thanks
Pappi
A year from now, you will be giving advice to some young cat who is walking in the footsteps that you have traveled. Perfect practice makes perfect and you have the mindset to get there. Just keep asking questions. Never do anything that doesn't make sense when it comes to this stuff. Everything has a reason or purpose and once you can explain it with no confusion to the listener, you have figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast908z View Post

If they are the exact direction of your movement, you picked up some grit (likely bonded to the paint) and then ran that over the paint without picking it out of the claybar.
Yes, dealership hacks can be brutal with their practices. If I ever use a dealership, I make them put on the work order to not touch my paint with any type of washing. If they do, I tell them that I will sue them for any damage and not allow them to attempt to fix it. I've been refused service and pissed off a few dealership managers for doing that. This is why I do most of the repairs on my car. It takes me three times as long but at least it is done right and my car is not messed up afterward.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post

Yes, dealership hacks can be brutal with their practices. If I ever use a dealership, I make them put on the work order to not touch my paint with any type of washing. If they do, I tell them that I will sue them for any damage and not allow them to attempt to fix it. I've been refused service and pissed off a few dealership managers for doing that. This is why I do most of the repairs on my car. It takes me three times as long but at least it is done right and my car is not messed up afterward.

Amen to that!!!
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Again, this comes down to technique. Adam and I have two, distinctive techniques. You cannot mix any part of the two together, except for the product and equipment we use. Both of our techniques are proven. When you mix the two, you will fail. Either do it as Adam does in order to get it done while maximizing time and effort, or do it as I do in order to keep from loosing one drop of sweat while spending time with your baby. For me, rubbing on my car is like therapy. I enjoyed the hours upon hours that I spent perfecting my technique and paint. It took me about 6 months to get both perfect. Most of that was during the winter but my paint now reflects the fruit of my labor. That's why it now has mad reflections. I could pick my teeth in that reflection. We're talking about a 10 year old car with 125,000 miles on it.
Were those pics before or after Atlanta? I don't think your car will ever be the same :(

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Those pics were over a year ago if I'm remembering correctly, maybe longer. But hey, that trip to Atlanta really dirtied up the car. I did a thread about it. Check it out here.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #22
eric@thompson
Account Suspended

Drives: GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast908z View Post

You might be on to something there. Remember, if you piece of clay hits teh ground, or pics up any large pieces of dirt, grit, etc off the paint, throw it out. I break my clay up into a bunch of small pieces, not just in half.
eric@thompson is offline   Reply With Quote