Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Goin to a V8

My goal of a 2010 Camaro has kind of gone out the window, so instead I'm going to put a new engine into my current car.
I've been looking at an LS1, but is there anything else you guys could reccomend (i'm looking at crate engines btw) I'm not entirely sure what will fit into my car (LS2 is the only other one i would consider, but i'm not sure if it'll fit)

On top of the new engine, i want to switch to a manual transmission. I've heard it's difficult, but is it possible?

Among my other upgrades is exhaust, but there are already threads on exhaust, so no need to go into detail. I'm kinda iffy on any other performance upgrades. I'm already set on my body upgrades (including a new paint job, ground effects that i have already purchased, a new ss style hood, leather seats and new sound system)

So i'm interested to see what all of you guys think, this is a project that i'm going to complete before my senior year of high school (class of 2012 woo!) so i still have plenty of time to plan everything out.
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
My goal of a 2010 Camaro has kind of gone out the window, so instead I'm going to put a new engine into my current car.
I've been looking at an LS1, but is there anything else you guys could reccomend (i'm looking at crate engines btw) I'm not entirely sure what will fit into my car (LS2 is the only other one i would consider, but i'm not sure if it'll fit)

On top of the new engine, i want to switch to a manual transmission. I've heard it's difficult, but is it possible?

Among my other upgrades is exhaust, but there are already threads on exhaust, so no need to go into detail. I'm kinda iffy on any other performance upgrades. I'm already set on my body upgrades (including a new paint job, ground effects that i have already purchased, a new ss style hood, leather seats and new sound system)

So i'm interested to see what all of you guys think, this is a project that i'm going to complete before my senior year of high school (class of 2012 woo!) so i still have plenty of time to plan everything out.
You can do a LS2/LS3. Do the change to manual and you will be happy. It is possible to go manual. Might cost you some money, but possible.
Go with the STAINLESS WORKS full exhaust. You will not regret it.
GOOD LUCK!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Is this car currently a 6 or 8 Cylinder?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Just buy an LS1 M6, much easier and less trouble. Probably cheaper as well. We just picked up a 99 LS1 auto w/112,000 for $3,300. Prices have come way down, you just have to look for a deal and be patient.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
Just buy an LS1 M6, much easier and less trouble. Probably cheaper as well. We just picked up a 99 LS1 auto w/112,000 for $3,300. Prices have come way down, you just have to look for a deal and be patient.
This is going to be my dad and my car to fix up over the next few years, or i would just buy a new one.

it's currently a 3.4 V6
Old 10-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The motor swap shouldn't be too difficult, but you will have to do something with the differential. Going to an M tranny however, probably won't be worth your effort. You'll have to weld in the clutch plate, just for starters- and that alone is tricky business, even for a pro. All costs considered- even though you'll already be swapping the tranny out, going from A to M could very well bump this project from "That was tough, but worth it" to "Why didn't I just go buy an M6 Z28..."

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
The motor swap shouldn't be too difficult, but you will have to do something with the differential. Going to an M tranny however, probably won't be worth your effort. You'll have to weld in the clutch plate, just for starters- and that alone is tricky business, even for a pro. All costs considered- even though you'll already be swapping the tranny out, going from A to M could very well bump this project from "That was tough, but worth it" to "Why didn't I just go buy an M6 Z28..."
Well that's what i'm going to have to do, my dad doesn't want to help me do this big project.. so i'll just buy a new 93-97 z28
Old 10-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
how much money do you have to do this and how experienced are you with engine swaps?

not saying it as a discouragement, just hate to see you end up in a bind and out of money. (been there a few times)

but for an idea of what you need
http://www.hpsalvage.com/
and click on swap tips.

also, putting an LS engine in an LT car gets tricky as the required hood, radiator, and front clip clearances are different between the two cars.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Well that's what i'm going to have to do, my dad doesn't want to help me do this big project.. so i'll just buy a new 93-97 z28
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I thoroughly researched this about a year ago. You are looking at a major project that will be VERY expensive.

Unless you luck out and find a matching engine/tranny/ECU, you are going to have some huge headaches. I even found that you will need to change out the instrument cluster, or it will not work properly either. :(

There are a few places that can do it all for you, but it is very expensive. I love my '95 and it is still my daily driver, but I could not justify the conversion. Thank goodness GM gave the green light for the 2010 Camaro.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote