Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
My low-mount Twin Turbo build

For the past couple of months I've been slowly building a twin turbo setup for my car. I managed to fabricate everything and custom build everything myself using everyday tools. However, I have a lot of oiling problems and think I may have blown the seals in both turbos even when running restrictors and check valves. Also, I don't like how low the intercooler pipes are so a lot of custom intercooler piping will need to be made if I wanted to continue. I'm not too comfortable with the setup and the money and time needed to fix the problems so I've decided to put her back to stock. I managed the to get the t3 turbo up-pipes w/ 38mm wastegates digitized so if anyone wants to custom build their own TT setup, you can buy a pair of stainless up-pipes from me for $650 and $500 in aluminized. I have yet to build the turbo-back exhaust but here are a few pics and a video:

Up-pipes (used with stock headers):

Turbo's mounted underneath car:

Video of car running 8psi going 85mph in a little less than 1/8th of mile with only 3/4 throttle on base tune:
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/1cf.mp4/

I have some stuff for sale in the kit including a turbowerx oil pump, oil lines fitted for the turbos in a similar position, check valves and other stuff. I also have a detailed list of all the parts I bought from the turbos to each fitting size used and socket sizes with prices, an oil routing diagram, and where to buy each part. The total price of all parts is from 3800-5200 depending on the turbos and wastegates used. My setup cost 3800.

Last edited by Pt_killa; 03-21-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added pictures w/o links
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
aren't you the one that have the supercharger project before? it's good to know that you didn't gave up on your 6's FI project

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Pt_killa

Yea I nearly finished my supercharger project back in october but scrapped it for the twins. Now I can't get my twin system to run right and just dont have enough time to work out the kinks. Maybe later in the summer I'll continue.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Sorry to hear that. I'm worried I may have blown the seals in mine as well. It's expensive to rebuild the cartridge units, but I'll do it if I have to. It sounds like you've done everything you can short of the rebuild; I'd hate to see you quit now.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Pt_killa

Gretchen that would really suck if you blew the seals in yours because of how expensive your turbs are. Hopefully they are not blown and is a result of too much oil pressure or drain problems. I've heard of some stories where people thought their seals were blown but after fixing the feed or drain problems the turbos no longer leaked. What size feed line do you run? I ran 4an line with 2mm restrictors at each turbo(journal bearing t3/t4 46trim) and the mcmaster 1psi check valves on each. On the drain I just used a Y but I think I may have needed a sump box because oil is even overflowing my scavenge oxygen feed/breather near the pump thats about a foot above the turbos!

I would love to get it running perfect but Im kinda worn out for now and time is tight with my job and studies. Even though they leaked some I was still able to ride around for a while enjoying the sound of turbos spooling on my car and leaving some people in bewilderment (sounded like a jet outside of the car since there was no exhuast after the turbine). She even overboosted on me one time up to 10 psi at one point and the car is still fine. If I didnt put a pressure relief valve on the intake who knows how high it wouldve went! My wastegate was buggy, maybe oil got in the signal line. I wish I would've stayed on the supercharger path. Good luck with your twin setup, I'm confident you'll have it all worked out in no time!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Like you I started with AN-4 and now I'm at AN-8. Seems to let the oil flow out much better, but a sump resevoir would help even more. I just can't figure out where to put one without it being too low. I'm doing a 25 psi check valve on the feed side and may go to 0.010 restrictors.

Edited: Just to be clear it's AN-8 on the return side. Still AN-4 on supply side.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Pt_killa

I was about to say -8 would've been huge for a feed. I've got -10 for my return. If there is not enough room for a sump, I may have to use a seperate pump for each turbo.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
not gunna lie that did sound like a jet haha. I want a twin set up!

Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Pt_killa

Haha thanks! You can hear the turbos clearly in person but the video was made with my kodak which is the model-t of digital cameras. One of the guys in a garage next to mines that races and builds pro-mods even gave me props when i told him it was a V6.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
atomicfusion

Drives: 07 Z06 11 L99 SS 16 c7 16 1SS
These links contain maleware! BEWARE!
atomicfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfusion View Post
These links contain maleware! BEWARE!
I just clicked on them all and...nothing.

(Nice build, btw!!!)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Pt_killa

The links work for me. About the malware, the pics and video is hosted on imageshack which is a legit site so maybe the malware is already on your cpu or from a different page you had open.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
you buy maleware for your closet and to cover yourself, before you go! outside!

OP nice ride!
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Pt_killa

Lol, Maleware sounds like a virus that downloads village people songs onto your computer.

The reason I built this kit aside from enjoyment was to show that any fi setup could be made for less than 5g's if you have the time and are willing to learn. I knew nothing about FI cars and cars in general when I started and managed to build a working prototype. The aftermarket industry ignored the v6 for too long so it's cool to see people doing their own thing like gretchen and max kamai and would love to see more custom kits!