Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Question differential bushings removal

Hey everyone i have a question. I was ready to bring mty cradle back up onto the car when my differential bushings arrived!! Now that i have them i've been working on removing the factory bushings. I already cut out the center section of the bushing!! Now my question is How Did You Guys Get That Metal Sleave Out Where The Factory Bushing Was In? I've been using a chisel and big hammer to try to beat that sleave out but its taking me forever!!!! Any ideas on how to do it another more effective way??
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
My BMR instructions said to use a sawzaw to cut the metal sheeth and then use a hammer & chisel to pop it out.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
My BMR instructions said to use a sawzaw to cut the metal sheeth and then use a hammer & chisel to pop it out.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Yup; just go very slow and cut in the thick area facing the case and not on the outer ring. That way if you get a bit overzealous you will cut into the thicker section and don't compromise the strength as much.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

I have the PFADT diff bushings and they did not come with instructions. I also went on their website and couldnt find any instructions on it. But i guess i will try that!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Synner

Drives: cars
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/BK026.pdf

Same basic procedure for whichever company you pick.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If you have an air chisel and know how to use it you can have them out quickly. If your skill level with an air chisel is not EXPERT don't use one.

Since you have already cored the bush, take a saws all with a metal blade and gently cut into the steel jacket. You can also do this with a hand saw. Either way, be careful. The bush jacket is steel and the housing aluminum. Frequent progress checks are in order. Make three cuts the length of the steel jacket. Two cuts about an inch apart (i.e. 5 and 7 o'clock) and the third cut above (12 o'clock).

Take a small chisel and hammer to the 1" section. Tap in towards the center until you remove the 1" strip. Don't pry against the aluminum housing. Let the hammer and chisel do the work.

With the 1" strip removed, start at the top cut. You want to fold the bush in toward the center. In short order the section of bush will be out. Before it is fully folded, both sections will come loose.

The key is to go slow and not damage the aluminum housing. Did I say check the cuts frequently and go slow? Let me say it one more time ;-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
BAWLZ SS

Thanks guys!!! Patience, Patience, patience!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!!!! Lol jk Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hey Bawlz. You can find install instructions on all of our products by going to our website, rolling your mouse over the support heading, clicking install instructions, selecting your chassis, and then selecting your product. In case you haven't found directions yet you can find the diff bushing install guide here: Pfadt Race Engineering Poly Differential bushing instructions

Getting those sleeves out can be tricky, air tools can make the process much easier! Cut the centers out with a sawzall, then collapse the sleeves by making a couple cuts with the chisel.

If you have any more questions please let us know! Our tech line can be reached at 1-888-972-2464 from 9-5pm Mountain standard time, Monday through Friday. If you need assistance let us know!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote