Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #29
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
What would/should I use for the water pump. Sorry for all the questions.
Fastest camaro in OKC
Water to Air Intercooler Bosch Cobra Pump.

This water/air intercooler pump is designed for circulating water in water/air intercoolers. This pump is designed by Bosch and Ford specifically for water/air applications. This pump is Bosch part number 0 392 022 002 and is used in many of the supercharged Mustang Cobras and supercharged Mercedes. As well as after market Super Charger Kits, it can be found on line for around $120. There is also the high end Meziere for all out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
John Lee @ Atlanta Performance and Fabrication did the install for my 2.8 KB.
On our first test, we heat soaked the car in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes, the IAT's were around 150 and the water temp was 120. After about four minutes with it running, we saw the IAT's drop down to 109 and the water temps dropped down to 57!! I could tell with the seat of the pants meter that the car had a much better response with the chilled water in 85 degree ambient temps. It's a good system for helping the IAT's stay close to ambient on "HOT" days!
Thanks for the feed back and SUPORT! Satisfaction is the most important thing.
Also thanks to Atlanta Performance for the recommendations that resulted in additional sales. When you can satisfy the professional in the field trying to make $ on a new install and performance is satisfactory to a point that they recommend us that says it all.
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
maybe a silly question

Why not fab an aluminum coolant tank with the coil welded inside rather than installing the chiller remotely as designed? It seems that the submerged coil would be more efficient at removing heat. How large is the coil you are using? What would you charge for coil only?
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 AM   #31
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybucket99 View Post
Why not fab an aluminum coolant tank with the coil welded inside rather than installing the chiller remotely as designed? It seems that the submerged coil would be more efficient at removing heat. How large is the coil you are using? What would you charge for coil only?
Funny guy! We do just that the first 2.5 gal Chiller Tank is shipping this week; a 78 series battery size Chiller tank is also available and custom size Chiller Tanks as well.

2.5 gal is intended for remote mount but battery size is intended to replace battery under hood where battery has been relocated. I’m making custom AN fittings now for tanks and will post pics of finished Chiller Tank this week
Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #32
TrekGTO

Whipple!

We still need to get a Super Chiller on a Whipple! I know the HX water pump needs to be relocated. Whipple mounts the pump exactly where the high side Freon adapter goes. Other than moving pump to where Magnusson mounts pump I don’t see a problem.

ZL1 or ZL1 bumper

On ZL1 the only way to Mount Super Chiller is to change the Radiator Coolant tank to a smaller tank then the Super Chiller can be mounted farther back from the Fog Lights. Be sure to say Whipple, Maggie, E Force, KB, ZL1 or ZL1 bumper when ordering, did I forget anyone?

Oh V6, on V6 we move the chiller farther back as well since V6 fog light interferes as well.

We have kits for CTS V, XLR V and ZO6 now as well.

Last edited by TrekGTO; 06-06-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
TrekGTO

Here is the first Chiller Tank to ship. This thing is going to make an insane amount of cold water, some people still put ice in these.

Next one is going to be same size as a 78 series battery with a standard radiator cap on it. We can also do custom size Chiller Tanks as well. Fittings can be on either side or even bottom. For example you could put Battery size tank under hood with hoses out of bottom hidden.

Water enters tank then goes through core same as a Super Chiller and exits core same as a Super Chiller but stainless steel core is submerged in water as well for 100% cooling capacity!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #34
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
Love my Chiller. Todays temp was 95* and my IATs were in the low 70s cruising around.
B.Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Rat

Drives: ZL1/TBSS/COPO
Wow just found ^this thread.

I'm the guy getting the tank. I'm shooting for 800rwhp boost only.

Dave has been great to work with and is making a killer kit.

Looking to install this weekend.
.....2012/14 COPO #33....427, 1.31 60' ....9.39@143......
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
Here is the first Chiller Tank to ship. This thing is going to make an insane amount of cold water, some people still put ice in these.

Next one is going to be same size as a 78 series battery with a standard radiator cap on it. We can also do custom size Chiller Tanks as well. Fittings can be on either side or even bottom. For example you could put Battery size tank under hood with hoses out of bottom hidden.

Water enters tank then goes through core same as a Super Chiller and exits core same as a Super Chiller but stainless steel core is submerged in water as well for 100% cooling capacity!

Wow, that's a crazy wild setup. I presume you become 100% dependent on the AC compressor though and not a good option for an all purpose street car? (I'm guessing Trent's is the build where the heat exchanger gets eliminated)
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
Wow, that's a crazy wild setup. I presume you become 100% dependent on the AC compressor though and not a good option for an all purpose street car? (I'm guessing Trent's is the build where the heat exchanger gets eliminated)
I have never designed a system without a heat exchanger and diverter valve. No reason you couldn’t but why be dependent on AC.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #38
TrekGTO

rbanshee1 had his 09 CTS V trucked to me from Jersey to be the first Super Chilled CTS V and flew in to pick it up and drive home.

He helped me put bumper cover on as well so he saw installation first hand.

He is reporting mid 40s ICWT in 90+ weather.

Here is a time slip he sent to my phone, Right Lane Win*at Atco. This is a stock car with lower pulley, CAI, tune and Super Chiller not to shabby!

He is also on You tube next to a Viper with the Super Chiller.

Rich was great customer to work with and continues to update me how pleased he is with his Super Chiller. His build is covered on a Cadillac Forum.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #39
TrekGTO

Here is a diagram for a Battery size Chiller Tank on a 07 CTS V with E Force we have an order for.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #40
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
TrekoGTO this is a real nice design, I hope this really does well for you.

Do you have any back to back testing, or dyno sheets showing a before and after comparo ?
I have some but NOT with the new ice box. I would have to dig it up but I think on the dyno after 3 runs in a row there was ZERO loss in RWHP with the chiller on and 3 runs same time between runs showed a loss on the second run of I think 15 HP and the 3rd run was 20 hp with the chiller off and running through the Heat Exchanger. We saw a reduction on 30-40* in IAT throughout the run. This was IIRC 95* day and shop temp was 105ish.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Here is a copy of a post I made last year when I first put the chiller on and I did days of testing on the road and this is the info from that dyno testing which matched all of the road testing I did. I didn't post any graphs as I was having issues with my SCT losing connections so I never turned the logger off so it was about 30 min long.

I ok well I got the data off we needed, I tried to do a graph and all that but I am tired and not gonna do it now. So the dyno sheets I emailed to myself from the shop didn't work so I will go off of memory for the numbers there.

First off the A/C does kick off at WOT but comes back on around 4500RPM(we could see a dip in the dyno sheet. So for ALL the Chiller on tests we let it chill for 5 minutes between runs and just before we went WOT we turned off the A/C. Same 5 minutes were given for cool down for Chiller OFF.

Chiller OFF Data

101* AMBIENT
1st pull IAT start at 104*F end at 122*F car made 568

2nd pull IAT starts at 114*F end at 140*F car made 55? had a small amout of KR (.3)

3rd pull IAT starts at 125*F end at 145*F car made 54? had alittle more KR (.9)

Chiller ON

107* AMBIENT
1st pull IAT starts at 64*F ends at 113*F car made 56?

2nd Pull IAT starts at 66*F ends at 116*F car made 56?

3rd pull IAT starts at 66*F ends at 116*F car made 56?

Did a pulley change 3.6 to a 3.4 and went from 6psi to 7 psi and made 596 and the torque can't remember but it went up almost 50ftlbs. IAT were the same as the other runs with the chiller on.

I didn't tune for the chiller, we were pressed for time as they had 2 other cars that needed tuning and I was on the dyno most of the day doing 8-10 pulls. The tuner though we could get another 1-2 degrees of timing with IAT where they were with the chiller on but since we didn't have time to test I choose to stay where I was and be safer at the same power level. I think if your IATs are higher than 140*F you may get some HP out of this deal and be alot safer, but my car at 6-7PSI doesn't produce alot of heat.

I hope everyone is ok with the test as you can't please everyone but I did my best to keep a even playing field but temps came up as the day went on and engine coolant temps are what they are when we hit the go pedal. I will try to get some logs for the 1/4 mile but it isn't going to change any from what I have already done around here on the road and the dyno actually proved to heat up the car more than a 0-120mph run.
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
TrekGTO

Thanks, Jeremy
I knew you would step up!
Yes the Chiller Tank is getting a lot of positive response. Rat is installing first one now and we already have another order for one on a 800hp install. The new development with AN Fittings and a Diverter Controller in the works. Things are starting to shape up!