Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
RetPig

Drives: 2012 1LT RS, Inferno Orange Vert
Water Management Bag???

I have a 2012 RS Vert. Last night I was backing into a parking space and I tapped on the brakes a couple of times and I heard what sounded like a Water Floating back and forth. (It had rained the day before). I am assuming that the noise I heard was coming from the Water Management Bag's. How long do they take to drain and can the drain lines get clogged?

I felt around the rear floor and It did not feel wet.
RetPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
rjtssvert

Drives: 2011 2ss rs convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetPig View Post
I have a 2012 RS Vert. Last night I was backing into a parking space and I tapped on the brakes a couple of times and I heard what sounded like a Water Floating back and forth. (It had rained the day before). I am assuming that the noise I heard was coming from the Water Management Bag's. How long do they take to drain and can the drain lines get clogged?

I felt around the rear floor and It did not feel wet.
I think what your hearing is the gas sloshing around in your gas tank. I've heard that when its quiet in the car and it hasn't rained.
rjtssvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Highly unlikely that its the water bag not draining. Put your top down about 3/4 and look into area behind the rear window. You should be able to see the water management bag. If there is water you will see it. Go enjoy you vert and don't be paranoid about the top. if it fails you'll know it
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
RetPig

Drives: 2012 1LT RS, Inferno Orange Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtssvert View Post
I think what your hearing is the gas sloshing around in your gas tank. I've heard that when its quiet in the car and it hasn't rained.
You might be right. I had the car for almost 2 months and never noticed it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Highly unlikely that its the water bag not draining. Put your top down about 3/4 and look into area behind the rear window. You should be able to see the water management bag. If there is water you will see it. Go enjoy you vert and don't be paranoid about the top. if it fails you'll know it

Oh I plan on enjoying it. I'll be back in Naples, Florida next Wed. and the first order of business will be to drop the Top!:5thgenvert:
RetPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
cdot61

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss
i have heard the same thing with mine but only wen it rains
cdot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
You'll also know if your bag has rainwater in it when the rear window has condensation on a warm, sunny day and the car hasn't been driven. This can also indicate your floor is damp, though not soaking wet to the touch.

Paraphrasing the Owners Manual: a few miles of driving will cause the bag to drain.

It will not drain completely while it's parked.
Water left in the bag will freeze solid in the Winter.
Lowering the top onto a frozen bag will damage the top.
(the temp sensor will allow the top to lower even if the bag is frozen, if the air temp is well above 40*)
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
You'll also know if your bag has rainwater in it when the rear window has condensation on a warm, sunny day and the car hasn't been driven. This can also indicate your floor is damp, though not soaking wet to the touch.

Paraphrasing the Owners Manual: a few miles of driving will cause the bag to drain.

It will not drain completely while it's parked.
Water left in the bag will freeze solid in the Winter.
Lowering the top onto a frozen bag will damage the top.
(the temp sensor will allow the top to lower even if the bag is frozen, if the air temp is well above 40*)
this is "normal" you will notice this noise after you wash your car also, it should stop shortly after a couple of starts & stops & turns. you should NOT have any water inside the car on the floor, that would indicate your water managment bags are not draining for some reason, good luck and enjoy

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
cactuseater

Drives: .
You'll definitely know when it fails. Not only that, it will stink like rotting trash. Our smell is coming back, the dealer refused to replace the carpet and the padding. They shampooed it FROM THE TOP. The leak was from BELOW. What the hell they are thinking I do not know, they had it for 14 days just for this. Total time thus far is ticking ever closer to the magic 30. They'll get it back yet again and i will yet AGAIN demand a new carpet and padding. Unbelievable. Just picked the car up yesterday. Must be a weekend visit.... we've only put 3K on this car since January!
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
dpartch

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertable rs/ss
The Bag

The reason for the water noise is how the bag is designed. The drain holes sit in front of both sides about 2 inches up on the side. A GM brain dead designer did put them there in stead on the bottom of the bag were they should go.... So the bag will only have some amount of water in it until the water evaporates.

Also another flaw in the design is there are no tubes hook up to it to drain it out of the car. Instead the tube simple run the water right over the read side window motors. That is why so many have gone out.

So do your self a favor and buy some tubing and attach it to the tubes and
run it to the bottom of the panel.
dpartch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Michael Rophone

Why?

If they can build a Corvette convertible without a Precipitation Colostomy Bag, why not the Camaro??
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
Michael Rophone

Another sign...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpartch View Post
So the bag will only [always] have some amount of water in it until the water evaporates.
Beside the sloshing sound, you'll know when there's still water in the rain colostomy bag...your rear window glass will have condensation on it if the car is closed up on a warm, sunny day.

Mine had that condensation the day I took delivery. The salesperson said it was "morning dew." On the INSIDE?

I believed him.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #12
Michael Rophone

Idea...

I suggest GM install the Water Management Bag in the Chevy VOLT.
That way, when the Volt catches fire, you've got water to douse the flames.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Tally Ho

Drives: 2006 Corvette conv/2007 Avalanche
Quote:
If they can build a Corvette convertible without a Precipitation Colostomy Bag, why not the Camaro??
The top designs are different. Had the Camaro used a design like the Vette where the top goes under a hard cover I think the water issues would be non-existant. I've had an 89, 98, and now an 06 Corvette convertible and the only one that leaked was the 98 and that leak came from the side glass not sealing to the weatherstrip.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
boxguy

Drives: 2011 RS convertible
Water bag

Quote:
I suggest GM install the Water Management Bag in the Chevy VOLT.
That way, when the Volt catches fire, you've got water to douse the flames.
Wish me luck, I'm taking my 11 vert in for water in the drivers side back seat foot well. I mean like 1/2 in. Already had to have a new top put on. Tear at the rib. I feel that once they start tearing things apart to fix something the cars never the same.
boxguy is offline   Reply With Quote