Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Black_2SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HotWheels Edition
Neon Green liquid???

Ok, so had a rash of issues on my baby last night. To make the long story short, I just turned over 73k on her and on the way home I noticed the temp going up / down, then just up, nearly 240! I managed to get into the dealer and the upper heater hose had developed a hole and was spraying the coolant out everywhere. Well they bypassed that and got it running but now the AC don't work! When they had it on the lift, I did see a bright neon green coolant on the bottom of some of the front supports. When I got home, there is the same liquid sprayed into the radiator in the front and looks like its leaked some. Its all on the front drivers side and it looks like the compressor is right there behind the foglight. I really can't see much of it but the AC does not work now. Anyway, what is it? The local parts store said it was just the r232 freon or whatever. Did it just overheat and blowoff all of it? Can I refill it? Did I blow the compressor? Ideas? Thanks!!!!!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Black_2SS

Really, nobody knows what this stuff is?????
Old 06-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Sounds like someone put the wrong coolant into your radiator. Ethylene glycol is green.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
craigd853

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_2SS View Post
Really, nobody knows what this stuff is?????
Check the fuses for the A/C, if it was working fine before it overheated then there are only a couple of things it could be. The fuse is blown, the place you took it too did something so the A/C would not come on. Turn the A/C to on and your radiator fans should come on along with your A/C compressor. If this does not happen, then the person you took it to disconnected something or the system has been discharged and the low pressure switch is keeping the system from coming on to keep from damaging the compressor. Hope this helps.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The DEX-COOL coolant that should be in the radiator is reddish pink. The refrigerant used in the AC system is R134A. R134A is clear and oily.

The dealer *may* have used dye (typically florescent) to try and discover if there is a leak in the AC system. They may have also screwed up and released too much R134A and now your system is under charged. This would explain why the AC doesn't work and why you have neon green liquid all over the place.

Take it to another dealer and see what they say.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
SSlim

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 1SS/RS A6
How about posting a pic of this mystery substance and where it seems to be collecting? Might help us narrow it down.
Whipple, GT9 cam, LS3 conversion, ZL1 pistons, ZL1 rods, Circle D converter, Stage 3 trans, Tuned by Pat G, CAI inc, TPS headers, posi mod, Dynomax bullet cat back, VMAX TB, ADM Scoop, RX catch can, Eibach prokit plus, Eurotek Mesh 33 wheels, P13w DRLs, Pioneer/Massive Audio/Vibe/JL interior goodies.
613 RWHP/596 TQ
SSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Black_2SS

Hey thanks guys!! First of all, the dealer only fixed the engine coolant leak, and he did use the reddish pink stuff. (I'm nosy and wandered back into the shop, I was under the car when he was) He only pointed out this other substance to me. The AC was working on the way there but when the temp started to go up I switched to heat on full to help remove some heat from the system. The AC has not been worked on ever to my knowledge although I did hit a deer once so maybe then they put in dye to ensure no leaks. It really looks like it was blown out like it over pressurized or something...there is a big splat of it in the bottom right side of the radiator, right beside the AC compressor. I'll try to take a pic tonight, didn't think to do it yet. Thanks for the ideas! I suppose it could be a dye added in, think I would be safe then to buy some of the DIY recharge kits and try to fix the AC myself by just charging it up again? The dealer is already into me for $125 so I would hate to see what this would add to it! Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_2SS View Post
Hey thanks guys!! First of all, the dealer only fixed the engine coolant leak, and he did use the reddish pink stuff. (I'm nosy and wandered back into the shop, I was under the car when he was) He only pointed out this other substance to me. The AC was working on the way there but when the temp started to go up I switched to heat on full to help remove some heat from the system. The AC has not been worked on ever to my knowledge although I did hit a deer once so maybe then they put in dye to ensure no leaks. It really looks like it was blown out like it over pressurized or something...there is a big splat of it in the bottom right side of the radiator, right beside the AC compressor. I'll try to take a pic tonight, didn't think to do it yet. Thanks for the ideas! I suppose it could be a dye added in, think I would be safe then to buy some of the DIY recharge kits and try to fix the AC myself by just charging it up again? The dealer is already into me for $125 so I would hate to see what this would add to it! Thanks!!!
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, along with the proper equipment, I wouldn't. You can over charge an AC unit just as you can under charge it. Both of these conditions will lead to the AC not working properly. Your best bet is to take it to a qualified repair shop or a (good) dealer.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Black_2SS

Sounds like good advice, thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Easton091

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Usually green fluid is Dye added for leak detection.
Easton091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton091 View Post
Usually green fluid is Dye added for leak detection.
+1 The only neon green oil your car has is the oil in the a/c system
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Oh My God, you ran over the Green Lantern.
On a serious note, it sounds like A/C dye.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #13
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
when a synergy green car pee pees
Old 06-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
AintQik

Drives: 67 Pro-Tourer, 12 SS
Somewhere in my very beat up memory banksI am remembering that if the car is in an overheat situation the AC may not come on. Something to do with a failsafe in the program. This was when I was tuning LS2s so it may not apply, but that could be it.

The R134 in my Ford is neon green, I cut a line and it spayed me in the face. I looked like the incredible hulk for an hour... but I was more concerned with trying to get is out of my mouth.