Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #29
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Yes. I'm still trying to place you in my memory. Did you race a 944 for a short time?
I only took a picture in passing as I liked the car....I wouldn't recognize you either. No 944 for me. I was first asked to drive a yellow Turbocharged Focus for a shop out of IN in some sort of Focus grudge match with other shops and we all ran in NASA TT. I had fun in TT so I ran the Evo in 06/07 and was usually pit with the guys/friends from Pure Tuning out of Toledo. I more or less disappeared from NASA in 08 to spend time with my kids..I purchased and finished a Civic Hatch track car (2100lbs /200whp) that I started to build 10 years earlier with a friend and ran that once in 2010 and sold it. Now I just lurk at tracks and instruct for fun.

Last edited by Dropspeed; 05-28-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
It sure is good to see that people are actually tracking these hot rods ! They sure are good on track.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #31
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I only took a picture in passing as I liked the car....I wouldn't recognize you either. No 944 for me. I was first asked to drive a yellow Turbocharged Focus for a shop out of IN in some sort of Focus grudge match with other shops and we all ran in NASA TT. I had fun in TT so I ran the Evo in 06/07 and was usually pit with the guys/friends from Pure Tuning out of Toledo. I more or less disappeared from NASA in 08 to spend time with my kids..I purchased and finished a Civic Hatch track car (2100lbs /200whp) that I started to build 10 years early with a friend and ran that once in 2010 and sold it. Now I just lurk at tracks and instruct for fun.
Ok. That makes sense. There's another Matt Jensen out there who I knew from Mid Ohio around that same time who raced a 944 and then switched to a spec Miata.

Glad your track day went well. I haven't been back to Grattan since 2008, but would love to do so now that its been repaved.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Exigent

Drives: 2003 Porsche 996tt
Dropspeed -

I understand the GT3 is different than the Camaro, I was curious if it was going to be a "it's great right off the lot, no need to change anything" or "here is a list of mods I'm going to need". I understand the cost, warranty, etc.

I was interested in knowing if it had any glaring issues from someone who had the experience to judge it.
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Dropspeed -

I understand the GT3 is different than the Camaro, I was curious if it was going to be a "it's great right off the lot, no need to change anything" or "here is a list of mods I'm going to need". I understand the cost, warranty, etc.

I was interested in knowing if it had any glaring issues from someone who had the experience to judge it.
That depends 100% on your skill level and expectations. Out of the box a new driver could have many years before they find the limits of the car and feel the need to upgrade components. You could drive the car at numerous track events and enjoy it bone stock. You mentioned you have tracked your GT3 for a few years so I will presume you are not still running in the beginner or intermediate group.

This past weekend I knew many of the participants and there were some ST2, TTU, TTB race cars and some very fast street cars all on tace tires in the fast group. That is the group I would usually run with but they were lapping the track 4-5 seconds faster than I was so I ran one group down to avoid being the backmarker. I want to run with the "big dogs" so mods will be coming.

So to try and answer your question. No glaring issues for a novice or intermediate driver. Upgrades will be needed to run in the fast groups.

Matt