Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
A couple of things.

One - the 2LT without RS does not come with 20 inch wheels and tires - -it comes with 19s.....

Two - the RS sells well because that's what people buy. That's what a lot of people want. In fact, when we forecast the RS package, we severely underestimated the 'take rate' -- and had to renegotiate for additional materials - which raised the cost of tooling.

Three - we do make money on the RS. That's actually a good thing for a couple of reasons - 1. -- our stockholders expect a return on their investment -- and 2. -- if we don't make money, there isn't a 'next gen'.....
I'm not being critical, I'm just saying that it should be a profitable package. I work for GM so I want them to make money.
Personally I think the price is a bit steep, but it is definitely a better value than aftermarket upgrades. Also, my car has the RS package.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I'm not being critical, I'm just saying that it should be a profitable package. I work for GM so I want them to make money.
Personally I think the price is a bit steep, but it is definitely a better value than aftermarket upgrades. Also, my car has the RS package.
I don't think the price is steep at all for what your getting. Have you tried pricing out the HIDS after the fact ? How about the tinted tail lights, or the 20" wheels and tires if you have the LT ... The HIDS alone are around $1200 plust you will need a new harness to go with them ... Start adding up all the little things and you would be surprised just how good of a deal it really is.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Ok thanks for input. yrs the non rs is 19 as std equip. 20 are with rs . i like the wheel its just the tires for a dd not good but dealer would switch. the lites are brighter . fo the headlites and halo have seperate bulbs?
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #18
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I don't think the price is steep at all for what your getting. Have you tried pricing out the HIDS after the fact ? How about the tinted tail lights, or the 20" wheels and tires if you have the LT ... The HIDS alone are around $1200 plust you will need a new harness to go with them ... Start adding up all the little things and you would be surprised just how good of a deal it really is.
I haven't priced them out, but like I said before it is definitely a better value than aftermarket. But I wouldn't compare the RS package cost directly to the cost of aftermarket 20 inch rims and HIDs. You aren't getting an extra set of wheels, tires, and headlights. You are getting 1 inch larger wheels and tires, and upgraded headlights.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
kevinw

Are tailites tinted too? i imagine thevcost diff between 19 and 20 are alot too
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
kevinw

So a 2lt rs will look like a 2ss on outside except for mai slot?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
RS package in 2010 when I bought my car was HId headlights, body colored roof moulding, rear spoiler, 20" staggered rims and 'demonic' tail lamps. For $1200 I think? Well the SS came with a spoiler, and 20" rims, so all I would get are some fancy a** headlights, 'demonic' taillights and $2 worth of paint. whoopdee friggin do. But I'm a person who doesn't particularly care about lights. They light up, that works for me. So would and did pass on the RS package thank you. However, if I was going to get a V6 it may have been something to look into for the spoiler and decent looking rims and tires. Just my $.02
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #22
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
Are tailites tinted too?
They were in 2010 (and maybe '11?). But then the tinted taillights and decklid spoiler became standard equipment, until the 2014s.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet)

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6 RRM NPP Exhaust
The RS package is worth it trust me. I have a 2011 1LT Non-RS and the upgraded headlights make a difference. Awhile back I had my car in the shop for some work and the dealer gave me a 2LT RS as a loner. The headlights are 10x's better than the crappy lights I have right now, they aren't the greatest. I'm saving up money to change those very here soon. Also I upgraded to the 20in rims (dealer gave me a price I couldn't pass up) If I could go back that is one thing that I regret not getting. Of course at the time of purchase I didn't know as much as I do now about the 5th gen Camaros.
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
JR 1

Quote:
Basically, yes assuming the 2SS is also an RS. There are some other subtle differences in the front fascia. Of course there are more differences on the 2014...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Halo's really do look good. And frankly when I see a car coming at me with black roof molding now, unless it's a black car, it jumps out at me and I don't like it.

There's actually plenty of guys around where I live who have LS non RS and then put 26" rims or whatever on then and a system. I always laugh at them because A: I think they ruined a perfectly good Camaro and that is offensive and B: They bought the cheapest Camaro possible and then dumped enough change into it that could have gotten a 2LT/RS or even a SS/RS, that is just my opinion.

Speaking of all that, shouldn't those with a black car get a discount on the RS package since no special roof molding is required?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #26
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Pretty much, Brakes and tail pipes and the most Visible SS
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
For me, I love the HIDs and halo rings, but absolutely did not want the summer tires and the expense of replacing 20" tires, so I opted for the non-RS.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #28
kevinw

Ok thanks guys fir feedback i am just trying to get as much info as i can