Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman's 2-Bucket Car Wash Videos

(I don't know why I have never posted these here before but here they are!)

In this video series, I talk about and show my method of a 2-bucket wash. From start to finish, I cover every step in how to wash a car without creating damage to the paint. Every step in this process is critical to the preservation of your paint and as most of you know, I have the paint to show for it. For those who don't know, I'll provide the pictorial proof.

So sit back, watch and enjoy. This video series, like all the other ones that I have done is not absent of my usual screw ups. What can I say, it's another "brutha' in his garage production!"

That's all folks!

The Junkman

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
For those wondering where to start, these videos are the foundation of properly caring for your car. Junkman, thanks for sharing these with the group. If ever there was a "Step One" video, this is it! Frankly, he has step 2, 3, 4,5 & 6 down too, but anyone new, should start here
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks Junkman. Just watched this video set again. Always helpful and pick up something. Full of info!
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Awesome!

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
For those wondering where to start, these videos are the foundation of properly caring for your car. Junkman, thanks for sharing these with the group. If ever there was a "Step One" video, this is it! Frankly, he has step 2, 3, 4,5 & 6 down too, but anyone new, should start here
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jewel RS View Post
Thanks Junkman. Just watched this video set again. Always helpful and pick up something. Full of info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Awesome!
Thanks for watching gents.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Great series!

Junkman, for part 3, if you ever get a chance, watch this at 8:00 to 8:30

I've never thought of using a foam gun in that manner and it is very ingenious! What are your thoughts?

I have a foam cannon so it wouldn't work for me, but it's still something pretty cool nonetheless.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Great series!

Junkman, for part 3, if you ever get a chance, watch this at 8:00 to 8:30

I've never thought of using a foam gun in that manner and it is very ingenious! What are your thoughts?

I have a foam cannon so it wouldn't work for me, but it's still something pretty cool nonetheless.
It's not going to hurt anything by doing it that way but you are going to go through a lot of soap. Also, it takes two hands to hold the foam gun AND the hose in order to keep it from banging against the car. Notice that he never showed that technique while reaching ACROSS the car. The hose will scuff up the paint for sure.

The whole purpose of foaming is to loosen up any dirt that may be matted to the clear coat. Most people using a foam gun are not going to go mudding with their vehicle so the initial rinse and foam bath should loosen any and all dirt on the car. You can always foam, rinse and then foam again if you feel that you have a substantial amount of dirt on your car.

By the way, I should add that I don't use a leaf blower to dry the car anymore, I use a Air Force Master Blaster. Right now, Amazon has the cheapest price that I have seen them going for. Also, I use DP's Xtreme Foam Formula in my foam gun now. It puts out the richest foam compared to everything that I have used.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Interesting that you started bringing up Adam's again so much :emoticon7:

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
It's not going to hurt anything by doing it that way but you are going to go through a lot of soap. Also, it takes two hands to hold the foam gun AND the hose in order to keep it from banging against the car. Notice that he never showed that technique while reaching ACROSS the car. The hose will scuff up the paint for sure.

The whole purpose of foaming is to loosen up any dirt that may be matted to the clear coat. Most people using a foam gun are not going to go mudding with their vehicle so the initial rinse and foam bath should loosen any and all dirt on the car. You can always foam, rinse and then foam again if you feel that you have a substantial amount of dirt on your car.
I was just thinking of it as a way to have a two bucket wash but only with one bucket: the rinse bucket. If the soap bucket is only for soap and you can supply all your soap from the foam gun, that's one less bucket to worry about But yeah the whole hose against the paint is something to definitely worry about!

Either way, these points aren't for me as I no longer do the two bucket wash more than once every few months. I know you're not a fan, but I'm totally on the rinseless and washless system now. Opticoat plus that 2x a week means no dirts is literally ever on my car lol

Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
Nice.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

There is definitely not a safer way to wash a car other than the 2-bucket wash. There may be other ways that people may subscribe to (I don't), but the 2-bucket wash is definitely the safest. A 1-bucket wash is just begging for scratches. As for rinseless, there is one thing that can't be denied. The more lubrication you use when washing a car, the safer it is for the paint. That's why I would never do a rinseless wash. Then again, that's why my paint looks the way it does.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Interesting that you started bringing up Adam's again so much :emoticon7:
Who, me???

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
There is definitely not a safer way to wash a car other than the 2-bucket wash. There may be other ways that people may subscribe to (I don't), but the 2-bucket wash is definitely the safest. A 1-bucket wash is just begging for scratches. As for rinseless, there is one thing that can't be denied. The more lubrication you use when washing a car, the safer it is for the paint. That's why I would never do a rinseless wash. Then again, that's why my paint looks the way it does.
How would a 1 bucket wash using the guy's method for soap (ie foam gun as you glide the mitt across) and then rinsing in a rinse bucket be any different than a two bucket wash? Not arguing with you, just curious

Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
thanks for posting the videos Junkman, you are the best