Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Tomcat2010
Junior Camaro Fan

Drives: 1999 Camaro
572 Big Block

Alright, I've got two questions.

1. Is anyone else planning to/already has put a 572 big block chevy in their camaro? And if its the latter what year is your camaro and did you run into any problems.

2. Does anyone know where i can get a 572 big block for my camaro?
I gotta admit, i would play with that and do vroom noises like a 10-year-old if i had it.
(After seeing a dicast Camaro...)
Tomcat2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
pm this guy http://www.camaro5.com/forums/member.php?u=2012

tho, why would you want to bother trying to put a 572 in there? when all you need to do is slap a s/c on there and call it a day
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
without major mods i doubt that monster will fit...and they are heavy, ill stick with my LS3, kthxbai
Old 10-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
go buy an LSX block 511ci small block.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That big block should fit between the strut towers, but under an OEM hood is a different matter. I know I've seen mag' articles that showcase GMPP's ZL1 Concept but I don't think it was a tall deck big block like the 572. It'll fit, you just may need a different hood.

You know that that big block is likely to weigh a few hundred more pounds than an LS* block, yes? I think the only gain you may see from a bog block over and LS* block would be torque, because of it's long arm (stroke). If you are dead set on a big block, cool; but if you are just testing the waters, there are many options that won't weigh down the front of your car nearly as much as that big block.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

There are other sources that I couldn't think of, but it has been done.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
kidddogbites

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS(not Z28)
i have a 572 engin in my camaro

i have a 2001 camaro ss with a 572 big block chevy. the olny problam is you have to get a custom hood but other than that your good to go.
when i first put my 572 in i could be dooing 80 mph hit the gas and my tires still spun, but now i supercharged it and not im pushing 930HP at the wheels. and a place you can order a 572 block is just order the 572 crate engine from chevy its self and pay the $14,000
kidddogbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
Castrosua

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
So heres my question. I dont know the differences between the frame of an LS and SS. Im a fairly decent mechanic (you know typical rebuilds etc) but how much would I be getting involved in by wanting to put a BB or any other engine for that matter into my LS?

I have a hunch that the tranny and the rear wouldnt handle the 572 (hell even a decently cammed and compressed SB) mostly from the torque, so those would have to be swapped too. Im mostly concerned since I wont be getting an SS until this lease is done, and by then say goodbye to 5th gens.

No, I dont plan on doing this tomorrow or anytime soon (def not still under warranty) but Id like to know how much re engineering of the unibody and half frame will have to happen, if they make aftermarket kits or any parts already made. I have a hunch I'll have to frabricate quite a bit of it. Not to mention if I go full retro and eliminate computers, just from things like turning my gauges, windows. A carb works great in my book and a transmission can be manual or controlled by a vacuum modulator if an auto if thats what I go with to handle that kind of torque.

Just before I get labeled a troll or pimply kid that cant afford anything but an SS, Im in the process of doing a full restoration of a 2004 Crown Vic. Yes, im nuts about MY cars, and that was my first new one. Yes, its a close to 1of1 (still waiting on official word) Sport model that was totaled by my insurance company.

So me doing something like this, kind of my MO. This will be MINE, and I get attached to all my cars. Its why I have 5, and probably will be getting a third gen by the end of a year, and another Crown Vic too, just cuz!
1972 Lincoln Continental fully original down to paint
Castrosua is offline   Reply With Quote