Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
LT1, 460 HP Confirmed for the 2016 Camaro SS

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/0...etails-emerge/

Quote:
Chevrolet made it official last week when it finally admitted the Camaro will be powered by a 460-horse, direct-injected 6.2L LT1—the same basic LT1 that debuted in the C7 Corvette Stingray. However, 20 percent of the Camaro LT1 has been specifically tailored to fit the sixth-gen. Camaro’s packaging. That includes a special tri-Y exhaust manifold.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Wouldn't say this is confirmed. the LT1 is, but that article is assuming it will have the same hp as the vette. GM hasn't released any info about the LT1 in the Camaro yet.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Vette guys would be unhappy that a Camaro had the same power...
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Yes, and I don't think GM would do that. Even if the two cars had the same power, they would rate it lower.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
That has always been the conventional wisdom but the game has changed in recent years. For example, just look at the ZL1 versus a C6 when it was released. The C7 has a lot more to offer than just its HP rating and the muscle car war is nuclear these days. Obviously they do not want the Camaro to outperform the C7 but even if all things are equal there is no risk of that simply due to weight if nothing else. Based on some of the conversations I have had and things I have heard I have a feeling GM is really looking to make a statement with the 6th Gen, not just build a Mustang competitor with a bow tie on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they rate it the same or maybe 5hp less so they can drop a 30hp and 60 lb-ft of torque advantage over over the Mustang GT.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
I never fall for those factory crank hp #'s.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
That has always been the conventional wisdom but the game has changed in recent years. For example, just look at the ZL1 versus a C6 when it was released. The C7 has a lot more to offer than just its HP rating and the muscle car war is nuclear these days. Obviously they do not want the Camaro to outperform the C7 but even if all things are equal there is no risk of that simply due to weight if nothing else. Based on some of the conversations I have had and things I have heard I have a feeling GM is really looking to make a statement with the 6th Gen, not just build a Mustang competitor with a bow tie on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they rate it the same or maybe 5hp less so they can drop a 30hp and 60 lb-ft of torque advantage over over the Mustang GT.
This.

It's still just a rumor until you see it in print on Chevy's website.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #8
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Wouldn't say this is confirmed. the LT1 is, but that article is assuming it will have the same hp as the vette. GM hasn't released any info about the LT1 in the Camaro yet.
It's very possible it will be detuned, but also possible that the 2016 Vette version gets a bump in HP.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
What are you referring to by the ZL1 and C6?

GM confirmed the LT1 but there hasn't been any statements on the power rating.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Hopefully they don't de tune it. If they do it can't be much of a difference surely, they wil give us more HP than the LS3 made..
Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
The LS3 is almost the exact same HP as the C6 corvette. I don't see why they would care if it's the same, the Camaro will be way heavier and slower.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What are you referring to by the ZL1 and C6?
Prior to the ZL1 there was an unspoken rule that the Camaro couldn't have more power than the Vette. Throughout the years there are numerous examples of the Camaro having the same engine/drive train as the Vette yet the power numbers were rated lower. Then the ZL1 came along to fight the GT500 and for the first time you could get a Camaro that had more power than the Vette and at a similar price point. Now that that barrier has been broken I don't see why there would be any need to rate the Camaro lower anymore. The C7 is truly a world class sports car and has a lot more to offer than just it's HP rating.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
The LS3 is almost the exact same HP as the C6 corvette. I don't see why they would care if it's the same, the Camaro will be way heavier and slower.
Yep, the LS3 in the C6 was rated at 430. So maybe the LT1 will remain no more than 1% less.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Yep, the LS3 in the C6 was rated at 430. So maybe the LT1 will remain no more than 1% less.
I think this will be the case. Less, but not by much. The ZL1 comments are valid, but the regular SS will be still much less than a Vette, so I think they will want it to have a bit less power.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote