Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
r0cketdr

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS
question(s) for stripe gurus

I know this will sound silly but I need to know. I've ordered and received a hood and hockey stripe package. I want to verify the stripe color. Will I mess up anything by peeling back the protective layers enough to do this? Is there a procedure I should follow? My car is in 3000 never-never land so I'm not ready to have them put on yet, but I need to know if the stripes are cyber grey or metallic silver. According to the GMPP catalog (and the Chevy build site) the part number I have is for grey. When they were shipped I was told they were silver. Actually either is fine with me but I'd really like to see for myself. See, I told you it would sound silly
r0cketdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
authenticnikes

Drives: Camaro
Don't take out the protective film. If you do that you will ruin the stripes when you're ready to put them on the car.
authenticnikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by authenticnikes View Post
Don't take out the protective film. If you do that you will ruin the stripes when you're ready to put them on the car.
+1. If your car arrives soon, just hold off applying the stripes until you get a chance to see someone else's stripes. We keep a really good library of pictures of cars with stripes on this website so as soon as one pops up, we'll have it for you to see.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
r0cketdr

Thanks guys. I'll leave them alone for now. I knew my paranoia would pay off someday
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
I understand your uncertainty. The GMPP catalog has simply Gray Hood/Hockey Stripes. The new Camaro site with "build your own" shows CGM only. GM Accessories online has Silver Ice Metallic only. And I believe they are all P/N 92215976. Very confusing!
The top film is to protect the stripes and also to keep them properly oriented to each other. You can't remove it, but I would think it would be ok to peel back just a small corner to verify the color. A small half inch section should enable you to verify if it's silver or gray. Of course it would be better to let the installer do that even though it would mean a delay if they're not the color you want.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
r0cketdr

Rodrunner I took your advice. The stripes are definitely cyber grey, except maybe for the vertical stripe that runs between the taillights. It looked metallic black in every light I looked at it in (probably cyber grey too though). Three pics are attached: (1) the hockey stick (2) the trunk lid (2) the taillight. Thanks everyone
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Rodrunner

Sorry, r0cketdr, but your pictures suck. They are good enough though that I can see the metallic sparkle, so they are CGM. Good for you. But, bad for me. I think the piece for between the taillights really is black. I think I remember it being referred to as something like a "blackout panel", so all those must be black. I'm getting a black car and wanted it to be CGM to dress up the rear of the car since the rally stripes don't go over the spoiler. Bummer!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
r0cketdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrunner View Post
Sorry, r0cketdr, but your pictures suck. They are good enough though that I can see the metallic sparkle, so they are CGM. Good for you. But, bad for me. I think the piece for between the taillights really is black. I think I remember it being referred to as something like a "blackout panel", so all those must be black. I'm getting a black car and wanted it to be CGM to dress up the rear of the car since the rally stripes don't go over the spoiler. Bummer!
Actually, if you get far enough away from the screen ... say 50 ft or so, the pics look OK Sorry about the quality of the photos, and really sorry for you about the rear panel. Hopefully one of the aftermarket guys will come up with what you need.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Rodrunner

50' would put me in my neighbor's familyroom. Ha!Ha! Yeah, I'm sure Ridergraphix or someone will come up with something real soon. Take care, r0cketdr.