Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Digitalist

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
USB Aux port - 2012 LT

So frustrated...

I just bought this Camaro a month ago and over the course of that month I've tried everything to get this thing to work. My last car stereo was usb compatible so I'm familiar, but no matter what I try this one won't do what it's sposed to. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is for power/charging only or what?

I've read to and tried formatting my usb as FAT32 and all of the audio files as MP3. I've tried formatting it as NTFS. I've tried audio files in directories, I've tried putting them all in the root directory, but thus far, no luck.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas -- got any?

(I made a new thread for this post because the other one I found was from 2011 and I didn't wanna necro it.)
Digitalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm pretty sure it's not connected to the audio system.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
juandavr

Drives: BMW M235i
I have a 2011 2LT and its plug and play, with no problems, have you tried a diferent USB? Or are you trying to conect your cellphone/ iphone via a usb cable?, because mine ( a galaxy note 3) wont conect unless you put the cellphone in usb mode (something like that, dont know exactly how its called)
juandavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #4
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
My flash drive is FAT32 and all audio files are .wma (yeah, I'm a dinosaur). Generally everything works fine with all ripped music in folders, etc., so I doubt it's your file structure. I did remove any pre-installed applications on the drive, if I recall correctly (U3, e.g.) Now, I do have occasional connection problems; requiring me to pull the drive out and re-plug it in - sometimes several times before the system recognizes it and will complete the indexing process. I believe that I have some kind of intermittent thing going on that I need to get taken care of someday soon. So perhaps there is a problem with a cable/connector in your system. Did the bumper-to-bumper warranty transfer, or is the car over 36K?

EDIT: Not sure if you saw this thread, but maybe it will apply:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=PDIM&page=48

Last edited by pgustavson; 04-27-2014 at 07:34 AM.
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Digitalist

I'll try .wma instead of .mp3

Bumper to bumper is good to go until next april or 100k miles -- I'm taking it in soon for the torque converter replacement service bulletin (trannie shudders at 50mph & 1.95k rpm - especially on inclines) so I'll be sure to bring it up during that visit. It really ticks me off to think that it might just be a power only port, especially since I settled for the non-touchscreen head unit just because it still has USB capability. argh!

...and yea, removing preinstalled software from USB drives is always a must for any self respecting IT professional. :P

Side note: I don't suppose anyone knows if any certain partition numbers have to apply to flash drive for them to be compatible?

----and thanks for the headsup on the TSB about the PDIM! (except it's for the 2011... not the 2012 >.<)
Old 04-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I have a 2012 1LT and use the USB port and are MP3 files and it works fine. I have the old iPod touch wheel and a new iPod touch and both work fine. I have used the Bluetooth with the new iPod but don't like that because it doesn't display titles and when I use the right knob on the stereo it doesn't give me the list of upcoming songs when in Bluetooth mode so I strictly use the port. I have noticed that once in a while when using the USB port that I lose sound in the right speakers and it will come back on if the if I bump the console. I have been meaning to take it in to have them check the wiring in the console since the radio and CD play normally.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
I have a 2012 2LT and my USB in my center console plays music so it is not just for charging. It functions under the CD/AUX button. I have used a USB stick & it works fine, indexing is a pain. I also used a Sansa clip which offered no difference than a USB stick. I used an old iPod and had issues with it, static. I bought a newer iPod touch and it has been better. I do occasionally still get static but this is rare and an unplug and restart of radio fixes it. Check the firmware on your PDIM. I had my dealership verify mine a while back.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalist View Post
Bumper to bumper is good to go until next april or 100k miles
Bumper-to-bumper is 36K...or do you have an extended warranty???

Quote:
Side note: I don't suppose anyone knows if any certain partition numbers have to apply to flash drive for them to be compatible?
Other than removing U3 with the removal tool, I used the drive straight out of the package. So no special partitioning necessary...

Quote:
----and thanks for the headsup on the TSB about the PDIM! (except it's for the 2011... not the 2012 >.<)
Well the date of the TSB is May 19, 2011 - so maybe early-build '12s could be affected??? (Just a guess on my part)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Digitalist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
Bumper-to-bumper is 36K...or do you have an extended warranty???
Just bought it -- just repeating what I was told at the paperwork signing. Sales people lie though, so no telling what the truth is. I'll find out when I take it in.

Quote:
Other than removing U3 with the removal tool, I used the drive straight out of the package. So no special partitioning necessary...
I work with bootable USB drives from sometimes and as such have the unfortunately likelihood of editing partition flags and ID numbers for job specific requirements, from time to time. I'm going to be super perturbed if I discover later that this deck is programmed to look disk 1 partition 0-0 or 0-1 and I have something else configured on my drive - thought I can't really see it being that indepth for audio input.

Quote:
Well the date of the TSB is May 19, 2011 - so maybe early-build '12s could be affected??? (Just a guess on my part)
I'm taking the car in tomorrow, with this TSB in hand -- as well as the one about the trannie shudder at 1900-2000 rpm. All I can do is give them everything I've found, we'll see what they do with it from there I guess. And I'm going to have them realign the doors to kill the road whistle at the top of the windows. Sheesh I can't wait for that to stop!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
sixt3denied

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS BLACK w NOS
I have a 2012 1LT. I am using a PNY 32GB USB flash drive that i formatted in Fat32 - with no problems. I leave it plugged into the USB port that's inside the center console permanently. I only remove it to add more songs. All songs are in MP3 format. Some are in folders with other songs from the album, and some are not. As soon as i turn on my car stereo and switch to the auxiliary device, USB shows up, and the last song that played on my USB starts playing. The first time i plugged it in it indexed all the songs/albums/artists automatically. Took about 7-10 minutes. Now I can search for music by title/album/artist.

I bought the usb drive from Amazon. Its worked problem free since I formatted it in Fat32 from my Windows 7 computer. I chose this usb drive because it is ridiculously small and made of metal so i dont have to worry about it getting damaged from ezpass and sunglasses bouncing around in the center console.
Attached Images

BBK CAI, Dynomax Ultra Flow Exhaust, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3M Dark Tint, BMR Subframe Connectors, BMR Drive Shaft Tunnel Brace, Bosch Brakes, Ny-Trex Triple Threat System, Glowshift NOS Gauge, Innovate LC-2 Wideband AFR Gauge, GM Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Heritage Grill, Custom LFX Emblems, BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Interface, Torque Pro Logging, Big Worm Graphix Spears & Stripes,Niche M117 Misano Wheels, MGP Caliper Covers
sixt3denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Digitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt3denied View Post
I have a 2012 1LT. I am using a PNY 32GB USB flash drive that i formatted in Fat32 - with no problems. I leave it plugged into the USB port that's inside the center console permanently. I only remove it to add more songs. All songs are in MP3 format. Some are in folders with other songs from the album, and some are not. As soon as i turn on my car stereo and switch to the auxiliary device, USB shows up, and the last song that played on my USB starts playing. The first time i plugged it in it indexed all the songs/albums/artists automatically. Took about 7-10 minutes. Now I can search for music by title/album/artist.

I bought the usb drive from Amazon. Its worked problem free since I formatted it in Fat32 from my Windows 7 computer. I chose this usb drive because it is ridiculously small and made of metal so i dont have to worry about it getting damaged from ezpass and sunglasses bouncing around in the center console.

Do you have the MyLink head unit w/ touchscreen and whatnot? I only ask because I don't -- but I don't think it's required in order to read MP3s direct from USB. Can anyone confirm?

The car is with the dealer currently (torque converter replacement) and they swear they've gotten it (the aux usb) to work during testing but only with an iphone -- I've tried it with an android and direct from usb and have gotten nothing out of it. We'll see what they're doing differently when I pick it up.

Stay tuned... more to follow.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Digitalist

Got the car back today... dealer says it's just inexplicably incompatible with my usb stick ... a Kingston 8GB DTSE9. To back their claim that everything is functioning as designed, I tried another stick, one of my Corsair Voyager 16GB sticks and it works fine. Oh so frustrating. Thanks sixt3denied for pointing out another proven micro stick, I'll pick one up soon since these corsairs are full sized (that's why I was using the Kingston in the first place). Thanks for the assistance everyone... it would seem that the Kingston DTSE9 line is just wholly incompatible ... (until someone else posts they have one confirmed and working... >.< )
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #13
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I use a SanDisk Cruiser Fit in my 2012 1LT. This is about the size of a fingernail. Formatted to Fat32, all mp3's at 320k. When it is in the port, only the small black end protrudes out. I also have custom playlists working.
Attached Images

yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #14
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I have problems using a flash usb drive too. I remember formatting to Fat32 and using mp3 files and it would only sometimes read the stick. I gave up and bought a cheap mp3 player. I plug it in and the car recognizes it immediately. I think there was a computer update available, I never bothered to ask for it. I now have an Iphone and it works perfect too.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote