Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
CAI: K&N 63 Series vs. Vararam

Since I have now had both of these systems on my Camaro I wanted to give a little comparison for those who are looking for a cold air intake and do not know which type or brand to go with.

Price:I got my K&N not even a week after I drove my Camaro off the lot. I purchased it from AutoAnything for 15% off so I got it for around 220-235 dollars, though they retail for around 280. K&N is one of the cheaper CAI systems out of the more popular one but it still does the job and put a grin on my face after installing it.

The Vararam is a little more pricey on the other hand. Retail the Vararam is around 350 dollars, I got mine for 315 at AutoAgenda, amazing shipping speed it was at my door the day after I ordered it. The Vararam is on the higher side of the price range when it comes to CAIs.

Style:The styles between these two are obviously different. The K&N features the 90 degree turn from the throttle body which the filter is connected to.

The Vararam come straight of the throttle body. It's a very different design that I have not seen from any other brand.

Impression:
The K&N advertises to give you around 15 rwhp give or take. This was the first mod done to my vehicle so of course it felt like a great improvement over the stock intake on the Camaros. The intake gives the car a nice loud roar once you get to the mid and upper RPMS and even a little whistle somewhere in between that many of the members think is pretty cool. For those who are wondering if they want to hear their car whistle or not, its not that big of a deal and only happens when at a certain rpm, barely noticeable. This is a great first mod for your Camaro and especially if you are trying to stay under a budget. I would recommend it.

I just installed the Vararam today, I know that you gave the give the ECU some time to learn the new mod to get the full potential of the mod but right out of the box I felt a difference, even with my Ported Throttle Body and Black-Ice Olator installed. The Vararam advertises 35 rwhp and about the same in torque. I think once I have the computer learn this and really step on the pedal it will give me every bit of that but I'm suppose to take it easy on it now so I don't run rich. The Vararam decreases my dead spot to a point where its almost completely gone. I feel like I am gliding down the road when I drive and that I can feel the flow from the CAI. The car smoothly responds as soon as I push the pedal. Honestly I wish I would have done my research and went with Vararam all along, no offense to the K&N (It's great product), but the Vararam of course takes the cake.

Overall if you're on a budget and looking for a cheaper CAI go K&N, they are a big name in the auto business and it's a great product. The install is very simple and took only 15 minutes, it was also my first install.

If you have a little more money and want to the get absolute most out of your Camaro then I would take a look at the Vararam. It takes just as much work as any other CAI to install and I had no problems installing this system even though some have claimed to have installation problems. If you read the instructions and know what you're doing it should be a piece of cake.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Vararam estimates 35hp/35tq?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
ryanb910

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Vararam estimates 35hp/35tq?
thats what it said on the instructions that came with it. I knew the numbers were better but thats coming straight from them.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I think 35/35 is exaggerating but I really love my Vararam so far it's been my favorite mod. I just got an Black Iceolator and will install it soon, it supposedly helps the Vararam unit fit even better.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
I would think 15ish is more like it, but I have not dyno'ed mine so cannot say for sure. I just know the throttle response seemed better and the exhaust sounded better.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
ryanb910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms2010 View Post
I would think 15ish is more like it, but I have not dyno'ed mine so cannot say for sure. I just know the throttle response seemed better and the exhaust sounded better.
How would you dyno a cold air intake?
Old 06-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Toms2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb910 View Post
How would you dyno a cold air intake?
Meant dyno'ed the car before and after to see what the difference would be.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
ryanb910

I know what you mean but a CAI needs airflow to get the performance out of it which it won't be getting on a dyno since the car isn't moving.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
Good review
Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
ryanb910

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPickles69 View Post
Good review
Thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Toms2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb910 View Post
I know what you mean but a CAI needs airflow to get the performance out of it which it won't be getting on a dyno since the car isn't moving.
Create the air flow for it. I think that is what was done by someone else using large industrial fans.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I've had the Vararam and ported throttle body since they came out, best mods I've done.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Appreciate the business and support! Glad you are happy with with the Vararam! The OTR "Over The Radiator" intakes are very efficient.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Vararam is a beast intake. I trapped 96-97 mph and with the vararam ONLY I started trapping 100-101 consistently, huge improvement. It doesn't go much in 1st gear but when you get mid way through third you really feel that ram effect.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote