Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
rsrsrs

Drives: '11 2SS/RS M6
Angry Pfadt Rear Tie Rod Install Help - How the heck do you get the top bolt in!!!!!

I just got done doing the passenger side with no problems. Now I'm sitting here trying to do the driver side and the damn bolt isn't going thru the top hole. There is zero room and its really pissing me off. For now since this is my daily driver I'm going to put the bolt in the opposite way and call it a night.

Any tips??
rsrsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Gotta drop the rear cradle 2 inches
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Use a jack to support it. Remove the 4 24mm bolts and lower it 2 inches to gain clearance.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
rsrsrs

Got to be kidding me >:o
Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
He's not kidding and Pfadt will tell you the same thing....it's not as bad as it sounds.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Please do not remove the bolts completely, just unscrew them enough to drop the rear cradle enough but still have the bolts holding into the threaded area. The fuel tank is what's in the way. Do you have a heavy duty torque tool, make sure you tighten and torque those 4 bolts enough.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Yep, lower the cradle. It isn't bad at all. When I installed my Pfadt toe rods I flipped the drivers side bolt around so it could be removed without having to lower the cradle.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
rsrsrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastkevman View Post
He's not kidding and Pfadt will tell you the same thing....it's not as bad as it sounds.
I don't get why they don't say this in their instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Please do not remove the bolts completely, just unscrew them enough to drop the rear cradle enough but still have the bolts holding into the threaded area. The fuel tank is what's in the way. Do you have a heavy duty torque tool, make sure you tighten and torque those 4 bolts enough.
I have one but whats the torque for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Yep, lower the cradle. It isn't bad at all. When I installed my Pfadt toe rods I flipped the drivers side bolt around so it could be removed without having to lower the cradle.
Hmm, okay I guess the way I put the bolt in is okay then.

Thanks fellas. Didn't think I would have to lower the cradle. I looked up videos and even then nothing was said about that. Been a rough night with this rear suspension. Didn't even hook up 1 end link. I'll have to find a ride to work tomorrow :(
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
Bill Waters

Drives: 2011 RS/SS; 1965 Cobra Factory Five
I just got through doing this tonight, and was able to get the bolt in by using judicious pressure with a pry bar (I had just finished reinstalling my rear subframe after installing Pfadt subframe). Quite infuriating. If I had it to do over again I would drop the subframe (again). If you do that, I'd suggest backing off of the four bolts until you can just get the tie rod in. The bolts are quite long. You may wish to first remove one of the bolts with the others tight to get an idea of the extent to which it is safe to back them out The correct torque value for reinstallation is 100 ft-lbs.

HTH

Bill
Bill Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
This bolt really is pretty tricky to remove, there just isn't a whole lot of clearance between the bolt and tank to get the bolt completely out. The easiest way is to drop the subframe just a little bit on all 4 bolts, this should get you all the clearance you need. You CAN get it done without dropping the subframe slightly, but it's pretty tough and does generally involve a pry bar.

It's typically one of those installations where folks call into us wondering what it takes to get it removed, they take a short break from the project, and when they get back to it they're able to remove it no problem.

On reinstallation flip the bolt around so if you do have to disassemble again it's not nearly as difficult.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote