Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
READ THIS BEFORE INSTALLING RX CATCH CANS

I hope people will read this BEFORE attempting to install their RX Catch Can...

The instructions that are provided are THE WORST INSTRUCTIONS EVER SEEN BY HUMANS. THE ABSOLUTE WORST, and in fact, FLAT-OUT WRONG.

They tell you that this...and I QUOTE:

"The center fitting on the can goes to the nipple on the intake manifold snout on the pass side, and then the outer valve fitting to the rear of the drivers side valve cover"

THIS IS WRONG! Don't do this under any circumstances, or you'll wind up doing what happened to my car - BLOWN OUT REAR MAIN OIL SEAL!!!!!!

I am more than a little upset that I didn't use my own judgement and experience, and instead, followed the directions from idiots. Modern cars NEED the vacuum pulling the pressure from the crankcase, and there is no vacuum created at the valve cover to pull the pressure from the fitting going down into the lifter valley/crankcase. The whole time I was following these instructions, little alarms and bells were going off in my head, and I kept thinking "How can this possibly work right???" Well, I fired up the engine, went for a test drive, got on it going from 1st to 2nd gear, and came back into my driveway. Got out to look for leaks, and a POOL of oil was pouring out from between the transmission and engine.

These guys are complete, utter idiots for providing such HORRIBLE instructions, but I'm the bigger fool for listening to idiots that clearly don't understand a thing about engines.

I'll be posting in the main section all of this to make sure people know to NOT follow these instructions, and instead, follow these...

1. Remove the plastic engine cover.
2. Slowly and carefully, unbolt the single lower tensioner pulley bracket bolt (15mm). Do this slowly so that the bracket stays in place - otherwise, you'll be dealing with putting the belt back on. If there's any tension on the bolt as it's ready to slide out - DON'T REMOVE IT! It will mean the bracket is gonna turn if you pull the bolt outta the threads. If this is the case, then first remove the belt, then proceed.
3. Install the bracket.
4. Install the catch can on the bracket.
5. Remove the plastic line that runs from the line going down into the front pass side of the lifter valley running to the intake manifold directly behind the throttle body. It's easy - just push in at the fittings, and turn the little tab and then pull out.
6. Run a piece of hose from the now-exposed steel nipple (the one running down into the lifter valley) to the center of the catch can.
7. Run another piece of hose from the black plastic nipple just behind the throttle body to the outer valve on the catch can.

That's it. These retards at RX made such an easy install so difficult with insane, obscure pictures, and wrong instructions.

Now, I gotta park my car for a few weeks until I can pull the transmission and flywheel to replace the blown-out rear main seal.

Sam
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
scruffyluv
CB5thGEN

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BRM 1LE, 05 Trailblazer
wow.. I've had mine installed for almost a year with no problems.
scruffyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Weird as many of us have installed the RX catch can, and did it correctly. I have at least 25k miles on mine.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
like it's been said, RX has been selling their catch-can here for long time... no idea how many they've sold but can't say I've ever heard of anyone having any issues...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
I agree that the instructions provided are no good. The pics provided are too dark and did me absolutely no good. Thank goodness Camaro5 had some great install threads with good pics and easy instructions, or I would still have my catch can in the box!
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorduck View Post
I agree that the instructions provided are no good. The pics provided are too dark and did me absolutely no good. Thank goodness Camaro5 had some great install threads with good pics and easy instructions, or I would still have my catch can in the box!
that and Tracy answers PMs almost imediately. Also OP, why on Earth did you remove the pulley bolt? Are you sure you installed it in the right spot?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
that and Tracy answers PMs almost imediately. Also OP, why on Earth did you remove the pulley bolt? Are you sure you installed it in the right spot?

I didn't remove the pulley bolt. I removed the pulley bracket bolt to install the catch can bracket.

Those of you that have had yours on - I'm sure you plumbed it to the two right spots. The instructions that I got were horrible, as several other people have had the same issues with the instructions. Unfortunately for me, I plumbed it from the lifter valley, to the drivers side valve cover as the instructions said - all the while thinking "How can this possibly work??". I should have gone with my gut, and either asked some questions, or searched this forum more thoroughly.

Instructions for installs should follow a basic procedure...

First identify everything. Clearly mark what points will be changed/affected/moved/modified. Then provide directions in a step-by-step procedure that's clear and not ambiguous or subject to interpretation. Also, when trying to take pictures of areas like the lifter valley - don't use a crappy digital camera!! Find someone with an actual SLR-lens camera, and take some good, high-quality pictures! Those guys there are not too smart for providing the poor instructions - but I'm even more stupid for listening to them!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorduck View Post
I've wrestled with the installation instructions on just about everything! lol

They can be helpful, but don't always express or show things to everyone's satisfaction. If they tried to show every and all possible errors to avoid or illustrate what could go wrong, they'd be a mile thick! Even the simplest and obvious things can be mis-interpreted.They gotta draw the line somewhere.

To their credit, they most always include a number to call or how to get ahold of them if you are not sure what to do.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1USMC View Post
I didn't remove the pulley bolt. I removed the pulley bracket bolt to install the catch can bracket.

Those of you that have had yours on - I'm sure you plumbed it to the two right spots. The instructions that I got were horrible, as several other people have had the same issues with the instructions. Unfortunately for me, I plumbed it from the lifter valley, to the drivers side valve cover as the instructions said - all the while thinking "How can this possibly work??". I should have gone with my gut, and either asked some questions, or searched this forum more thoroughly.

Instructions for installs should follow a basic procedure...

First identify everything. Clearly mark what points will be changed/affected/moved/modified. Then provide directions in a step-by-step procedure that's clear and not ambiguous or subject to interpretation. Also, when trying to take pictures of areas like the lifter valley - don't use a crappy digital camera!! Find someone with an actual SLR-lens camera, and take some good, high-quality pictures! Those guys there are not too smart for providing the poor instructions - but I'm even more stupid for listening to them!
If it didn't seem right, why did you continue? I've skimmed the instructions but don't rememeber where it mentioned hooking up the hoses in the wrong places.

She is only memory now.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
pictures!!!!!
AKA-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
IndeedSS1

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...13&postcount=4

She is only memory now.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
leojerome
AMC Reject

Drives: 45th Anniversary
I agree with the original poster. The instructions suck. I didn't install mine for several weeks after getting it becuase I did not know where to connect the hoses. Even reading the instructions I still didn't get it. Which I'm pretty good at these things. It wasn't till I saw a posting on here in the do-it-yourself section that had pictures with the throttle removed. Then I got it.
leojerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
wow !!! how hard is this to get right.....now im wondering if i got this messed up on my car....pics please of where the hoses go...
AKA-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
razorduck
Self Made Thousandaire

Drives: 2011 SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
wow !!! how hard is this to get right.....now im wondering if i got this messed up on my car....pics please of where the hoses go...
Not hard at all if you use something besides the instructions that are included with the can...
razorduck is offline   Reply With Quote