Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Tools Needed for CAI Install

Currently at work, and have been searching all over (when I can) to find out what tools are needed to install Cold Air Inductions CAI.

It should be on my doorstep and don't want to rip it all open, only to find out I have to run to the hardware store to get a missing tool.

Instruction PDF I found doesn't even show..

Any help here?

I am thinking 10mm socket, and some hex wrench? Any specifics you could help with? Would like to install tonight if I can!
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Flat blade screw driver for the hose clamps. 10mm socket w/ ratchet and an extension (6" is handy), or just use a 10mm wrench. Not sure on what size their new hex head lid fasteners are, but you will need some kind of hex wrench.

You will need whatever size torx bit to remove the MAF screws from the factory airbox OR a 7mm wrench. The current CAI brand intake that I have for a v8 uses flat head (screw driver) screws to attach the MAF to the new tube, however, I've had 2 or 3 v8 CAI intakes, and every one of them had a different style MAF attachment screws.

That should get you in the ballpark. Should take you less than 20 minutes to install.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
TwentyTen2SSRS

Thanks - this really helps. I just don't want to get stuck with things off, and not have the right tools etc -
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

I'm screwed. Maf will not tighten down all the way. Does it need to? It's slightly loose but starting to strip Torx screws...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Mine tightened all the way down...dont think it should be loose
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
It could be in the wrong way, make sure arrows are correct.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
You can use a 4 way screwdriver to tighten down the hose clamp. It's a 5/16" head, the same as at least 1 side of a regular 4 way driver. I used a torque wrench I use for plumbing to tighten mine down.

Just have a socket set and maybe a utility knife handy. Should be about everything.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
Currently at work, and have been searching all over (when I can) to find out what tools are needed to install Cold Air Inductions CAI.

It should be on my doorstep and don't want to rip it all open, only to find out I have to run to the hardware store to get a missing tool.

Instruction PDF I found doesn't even show..

Any help here?

I am thinking 10mm socket, and some hex wrench? Any specifics you could help with? Would like to install tonight if I can!
The PDF download on our website says the tools required on the very first page: http://www.coldairinductions.com/che...2#installation

Also you could always call or email us the manufacturer to get a correct and immediate response.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
you shouldnt be using the torx screws to put the MAF in the CAI unit...it came with screws that are totally different and have hex heads on them. I just installed my CAI intake last night, I love it!
Attached Images

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
You forgot the beer!

That's a must!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
you shouldnt be using the torx screws to put the MAF in the CAI unit...it came with screws that are totally different and have hex heads on them. I just installed my CAI intake last night, I love it!
Mine had torx screws with it..
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
Correct, the CAI tube will already have MAF screws installed in the housing, these are the screws you should be using to install your MAF.
Your install looks great, thanks for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc.!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackLS View Post
Mine had torx screws with it..
The stock intake has torx screws in it that are long, the CAI tube has much shorter screws with a different thread and they have hex heads on them, you would have had to remove them to try putting in the torx screws.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
TwentyTen2SSRS

Got CAI from a member on here and didn't have screws for the MAF.

Removed Torx screws and went with a shorter screw I had in my stash. Tightened down all the way nice and snug, flush against the tube.

Put it all back together and boy this thing is great. Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

Didn't help I was too excited to wait for the weekend and did under my garage light only.

Here are some pics

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382633472.938631.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382633489.589112.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382633501.255207.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382633525.088950.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  124.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2