Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Keeping polished aluminum rims shiny

Since the stock polished aluminum rims are clearcoated, what's the best way to get the most shine out of them? I wipe mine down almost daily (been raining a lot here), but they're already looking dull to me. Should I just use car polishes or waxes, as done on the body of the car or are there other secrets out there? I've also used this stuff called FW1 (www.rgslabs.com) that my neighbor introduced me to. It's clearcoat safe and it cleans and shines his chrome rims like magic, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect on my rims, other than cleaning them further. Any suggestions?
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
There are cleaners that are sold for aluminum wheels. Mothers sells one called Mag & Aluminum Polish.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Clearcoat is clearcoat regardless of what it is on so personally, I'd go with Zaino before anything else if you want the best shine.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtoups View Post
There are cleaners that are sold for aluminum wheels. Mothers sells one called Mag & Aluminum Polish.
I tried that--before I realized these rims were clearcoated. That stuff is for bare metal and I should have gotten a black residue when using it, but didn't because of the clearcoat.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
dreammy
Banned

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM RS
Fantastic product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtoups View Post
But it is not going to ever shine like chrome...
dreammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
8eight8

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammy View Post
But it is not going to ever shine like chrome...
Yeah, that's my last hurdle is deciding between factory polished aluminum or just going with the painted wheels and having them chromed. I like shiny
8eight8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Clear-Coated is paint, treat it the same way as you do the rest of the paint.
I bet there is Zaino in your future, LOL!!

-Bobby
Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
I Zainoed my polished aluminum's with the Mothers power cone and they came up real nice
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Keep in mind the clear on your wheels is not a true clear coat, it is a clear powder coat, there is a difference. Be aware of some wheel cleaners that specifically say safe for clear coat but not for powder coat, I think the Mequiars wheel cleaner actually says not for powder coated wheels