Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
The argument is whether GM is willing to listen to Camaro owners and fans or not ?

A number of articles show that Ford is listening to mustang customers and taking their tastes into consideration. While they aim with the new generation to re-design the Mustang to compete in Europe, they are very keen to maintain the american muscle icon for the sake of the US owners !
Because the current gen mustang owners are saying they wish it was more European?
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
IOM ninja hit the nail on the head.

Mustang will be smaller/lighter...and the new Camaro based on the Alpha platform will also be lighter and based on the ATS, should be around 3,400 lbs in base trim...maybe even less since the ATS base is under 3,400 lbs.

Both cars should be killer performers....even better than the current cars which are already awesome. For me, it will come down to the looks of both cars. One other thing I'd like to see is a version of the LFX V6 with 330 - 350 stock HP being available in the new Camaro, but not sure that will happen since I'm sure we will see a turbo 4 and a V8.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #17
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I wouldn't expect a 6th gen to be available until early 2015 at the earliest. I think GM is going to release after the next gen Mustang to gain a big advantage and at the least make faster cars.

Also keep in mind that GM is doing very well so they probably have more on the table to use than Ford.

Regardless, I expect both cars to be similar to the current situation. Close in performance by mere tenths.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Maybe Im Misinformed but wasn't there talk of them putting a turbo v4 in the base model mustangs instead of a v6?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I wouldn't expect a 6th gen to be available until early 2015 at the earliest. I think GM is going to release after the next gen Mustang to gain a big advantage and at the least make faster cars.

Also keep in mind that GM is doing very well so they probably have more on the table to use than Ford.

Regardless, I expect both cars to be similar to the current situation. Close in performance by mere tenths.
I agree the Camaro will come later. The current generation of Mustang was sold for years before the current Camaro came around so it would only make sense that the Camaro comes out a year or two later. I do not know what you mean by, "GM is doing very well..." though. In what regard is Ford not also doing well?
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
In this thread:

"I think"
"I heard"
"I believe"
"I expect"
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
IMJ

Drives: 2012 SS LS3 | Silver Frost Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
I agree the Camaro will come later. The current generation of Mustang was sold for years before the current Camaro came around so it would only make sense that the Camaro comes out a year or two later. I do not know what you mean by, "GM is doing very well..." though. In what regard is Ford not also doing well?
GM made a great car with this Camaro, but they need to stop following Ford and design a car that Ford is scrambling to keep up with. Ford's Mustang outclasses the Camaro in every way that counts on the streets (except for maybe looks), in lateral acceleration and quarter mile times, weight is a huge problem here, etc.

I've been a die-hard Chevy guy since I started driving, but the problem is that Ford pushes the Mustang's performance across one platform whereas Chevy pushes their's across two. Chevy could build a Camaro that blasts the Mustang, but then it'd be called a Corvette and they don't want to do that. I'd swear that GM purposely engineered slow-me-down weight into the 5th gens just to keep those lines from blurring between the Vette and the Camaro. Meanwhile, Ford only has the Mustang which has many models that outperform the Camaro in almost every way.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
6th generation Camaro VS 50th Anniversary Mustang
Do you mean this 50th anniversary Mustang or the next generation of Mustang?

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2012/20...-holman-moody/
Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
GM made a great car with this Camaro, but they need to stop following Ford and design a car that Ford is scrambling to keep up with. Ford's Mustang outclasses the Camaro in every way that counts on the streets (except for maybe looks), in lateral acceleration and quarter mile times, weight is a huge proble .
Don't forget that the same level competing mustang costs more across the board.

They didn't follow ford when they gave Camaro its rear suspension. Or the zl1 with its magnetic suspension. Staying with the zl1 it outclassed its competing mustang in every aspect aside from quarter mile, while still being more affordable.

I don't know what streets you are on but I have yet to see a board with quarter mile times
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If you want to know more about the next gen Camaro, just google CADILLAC ATS
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #25
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Way too early to predict how well the 6th gen Camaro and next Mustang will sell.
It's safe to bet the next Mustang will sell like crazy on its first year though. The Camaro won't have a chance in the sales war that year. The Camaro will likely match (or better) Mustang sales though when the 6th gen is released. The projected release years of the 6th gen Camaro and next Mustang gives the Camaro an advantage in the long run.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Don't forget that the same level competing mustang costs more across the board.

They didn't follow ford when they gave Camaro its rear suspension. Or the zl1 with its magnetic suspension. Staying with the zl1 it outclassed its competing mustang in every aspect aside from quarter mile, while still being more affordable.

I don't know what streets you are on but I have yet to see a board with quarter mile times
Unfortunately though, you and I both own Camaro's that CAN'T HANDLE from factory. Chevy only started caring about the Camaro's handling with the introduction of the ZL1. Then after seeing how people loved the Boss 302 they brought out the 1LE Package for the SS.

And again the GT500 and ZL1 is a toss up on a road course. It all depends on the driver.

Also to your comment "Don't forget that the same level competing mustang costs more across the board." That really only applies to the Boss and GT500. Every other Mustang costs much and comes with Standard HID's.

When people say that Chevy follows Ford they mean because Ford always seems to make the first move with the Mustang. You'll see what people mean if you look at the fact that the Camaro up until the ZL1 didn't handle very well and Ford despite having put a Stick Axle in the Mustang made it handle quite exceptionally for what it is before the before Chevy made the Camaro ZL1 do what it does.

Ford likely never had the plan of making the Mustang handle the way it does as most people use Pony Cars for Drag Racing.

Also as per your last sentence, last time I checked most roads don't have hairpin turns that you will take at 140 km/h.

Last edited by The IOM Ninja; 11-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Unfortunately though, you and I both own Camaro's that CAN'T HANDLE from factory. Chevy only started caring about the Camaro's handling with the introduction of the ZL1. Then after seeing how people loved the Boss 302 they brought out the 1LE Package for the SS.

And again the GT500 and ZL1 is a toss up on a road course. It all depends on the driver.

Also to your comment "Don't forget that the same level competing mustang costs more across the board." That really only applies to the Boss and GT500. Every other Mustang costs much and comes with Standard HID's.

When people say that Chevy follows Ford they mean because Ford always seems to make the first move with the Mustang. You'll see what people mean if you look at the fact that the Camaro up until the ZL1 didn't handle very well and Ford despite having put a Stick Axle in the Mustang made it handle quite exceptionally for what it is before the before Chevy made the Camaro ZL1 do what it does.

Ford likely never had the plan of making the Mustang handle the way it does as most people use Pony Cars for Drag Racing.
This is my biggest issue. The 1LE should have been introduced with the original SS or a year after. Why did it take so long for GM to actually produce start offering ways to improve upon the Camaro. I get that not everyone wants a stiff, road course ready suspension but plenty of people do.

Not to mention the lack of a Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #28
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
This is my biggest issue. The 1LE should have been introduced with the original SS or a year after. Why did it take so long for GM to actually produce start offering ways to improve upon the Camaro. I get that not everyone wants a stiff, road course ready suspension but plenty of people do.

Not to mention the lack of a Z/28.
Well GM did go bankrupt and it's more than likely they wanted to make sure that the Camaro would sell before they did anything drastic that could send them spiralling back. Ford of course had no real competition in the Market until the Camaro came out. No offence to the owners of Challengers but they aren't exactly flying out of dealerships.

If Chevy truly wanted to make a competitor to the Boss 302 they would add adjustable suspension to the 1LE, in my opinion, or as you said brought out a Z/28.

Not to start a war or anything but Chevy didn't seem to start caring about Fifth Generation Camaro owners until more recently. Ford, I'll give Chevy the fact that the Camaro hasn't been out as long, has a lot more parts available for the Mustang from the Dealer.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote