Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
SSmyers

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible Camaro
local 5th bow repair?

I live in South East Kansas and my 5th bow is bent. I am wondering if anyone on here would know of a certified dealership close to me that has any experience with this. I went to a local dealer yesterday and was told they had never done convertible repair work and probably didn't want to. Any help would be great
SSmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Wow, everyone says they corrected the later '12 on up. I'm sorry I don't leave near you and could recommend a good shop. Red River in Bossier City, La. did ours and was very pleased with their work, but its probably not feasable to drive that far. But atleast your dealer was honest and upfront and their probably right, you wouldn't want them experimenting on yours or let it sit for a two weeks hoping you'd get frustrated and come and get it.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
SSmyers

Sorry didn't realize I hadn't update this thing. I traded down to a 2012 that was first sold in nov. 2011. Lowered the monthly by a few hundred and saved a few thousand on interest and got the manual instead of an auto. Had the car two weeks and when i put the top up one day that #5 bow bent.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Jfoster

Ok, fwiw, I went to five or six dealers around La. asking if they had knowledge of repairing the bow in ours and only two acknowledged they had a tech that was familiar with replacing the bow etc. Red River Chev was one, the other one wouldn't work on it cause they didn't sell it. It does pay to ask around, time consuming and stupid on GM's part, but it is what it is. The thing is it can be repaired correctly and be trouble free if done right, don't get discouraged.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
SSmyers

The whole thing is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth towards the car it only has 11,500 miles and imo shouldn't have this issue at all. And chevy should be doing everything it can to fix it. My local dealer is capable of fixing but won't do it as warranty work. The customer service that is supposed to help on here has just told me to take it to another shop and see if they will sign off on it being a defective part and not user error.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
You're the second person I heard state that dealerships are refusing to repair as warranty work. Another person told me that GM tech support told the dealership that this was a "wear and tear" item and wouldn't be covered. That's BS. I had mine replaced under warranty so they shouldn't be able to change their position. I'd keep pushing this with GM Customer Support until you get a favorable result. This is a "known" issue.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster View Post
Ok, fwiw, I went to five or six dealers around La. asking if they had knowledge of repairing the bow in ours and only two acknowledged they had a tech that was familiar with replacing the bow etc. Red River Chev was one, the other one wouldn't work on it cause they didn't sell it. It does pay to ask around, time consuming and stupid on GM's part, but it is what it is. The thing is it can be repaired correctly and be trouble free if done right, don't get discouraged.
They cannot refuse to work on it because they didn't sell it. Its a factory warranty, not a dealer warranty. If its a Chevy dealer they are required to accept it for service. Now they may put you on low priority but they cannot flat out refuse to work on it.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Jfoster

After the service dept. looked at it the service writer said we'll order the parts and set up an appointment. They never called back and every time I called them they would say we're still waiting on parts. That went on for three weeks. Afterwards I found out how they operate. They were notorious for parking vehicles in the back lot for several weeks if it wasn't sold by them. Tommy Stewart Chevy. Natchitoches La. Would they eventually do the warranty work....probably before they got into the lemon laws time frame.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Jfoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmyers View Post
The whole thing is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth towards the car it only has 11,500 miles and imo shouldn't have this issue at all. And chevy should be doing everything it can to fix it. My local dealer is capable of fixing but won't do it as warranty work. The customer service that is supposed to help on here has just told me to take it to another shop and see if they will sign off on it being a defective part and not user error.
I agree with you on the warranty, even though it went out two months ago I would hope Gm would step up since it was a known defect. Maybe you can get them to meet you half way and either cover the parts or labor charges.