Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
cjon9657

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Send a message via MSN to cjon9657
I really credit Danny my salesman at Jim Clark Chevrolet in Junction City Kansas for getting me into the camaro i have. I ended up just paying 18K for my camaro. paper work wasn't so bad because buying from them before i knew what to expect. they washed it and put a full tank of gas in it for me. i've been lucky without hitting any deer. at night i drive like a old man. going 45 to 55mph on the highway.
cjon9657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
blackjackcamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro black 1SS
My experience was excitement mixed with relief. I was originally going to buy the V6 and after days of thinking and the dealership not having a black one with stick on the lot, I looked at the brochure and the specs on the V8. Wow... the numbers were incredible and I f&*k it! What's an extra hundred or so on the monthly? I set out to save more money on the car... about $8K to put down. I tell you... all those nights of waiting for the next check to come in in order to put more money on the car were simply nights of high anxiety. Finally picked it up and I had my friend drive it in my garage for me. I didn't know how to drive stick.
blackjackcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
BryceB

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary 2SS
On my way home from the dealer and I went through a small town,all the kids sitting at a Sonic starting pointing at it.
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
It was 105 degrees that day. It was the dealership's 3rd Camaro so it was still a pretty big deal when they brought one in. The sales manager took pictures of it before it was off-loaded. The car looked teal in the shade. I was a little nervous as I drove it off the lot. People were staring and pointing as I drove through town. I finally got home and parked it next to my 4th gen, which looked small by comparison. A day to remember.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
I went in to look at one that i called about and while filing the paperwork out for that one i noticed the one i really wanted in the showroom. I felt like a moron for not seeing it sooner. The dealer was cool about me wanting another one and starting the paperwork over again(he was going to sell a $33000 car so i would hope he didnt have a problem). Got the keys and drove it home just in time to miss a blizzard that dropped about 8in of snow.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #20
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
My buying experience was pretty amazing.

Initially I test drove a 2SS locally. Long story short, none of the local dealers would sell under MSRP. One even refused to order me a 1SS, and pretended to have no idea what "allocation" meant. (even though at the time, allocation wasn't even required to order a coupe.) I was told that "Nobody buys the 1SS."

Fast forward a bit later, I decide to send BeckyD an email.

She responded within hours. I told her that I wanted a black or CGM 1SS, with a hurst. She did not have the car I wanted in stock. She immediately suggested: "why don't we just have then build you one?" That's exactly what we did!

I gave her my information, as well as my fiancee's since we bought the car together. Essentially I told her my name, address, SSN, phone, etc. Employment history. (I think.) Annual income, length of employment, and gave her permission to run my credit report.

The next day she said that I was approved at a certain %, I don't remember what the rate was, I think it was 6.5. A day later she calls with better news. "We lowered your rate to 4.5%" (My credit has some OLD blemishes that still show up, so I was thrilled.)

Honestly, the only time I Had to put pen to paper was when the final paperwork was when the loan paperwork came in, and when I had to sign off to claim the car when it was delivered to my local dealershp.

Everthing was filled out for me, packaged neatly. This is how buying a car should be folks.

I put 300 miles on my car the first day just cruising around. On 2 hours of sleep. I was that excited.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #21
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Buying my 2 SS was the easiest car buying experience I have ever had, hands down. It took hours, not kiddng to walk out with my 93 Z. This time, paperwork done, description of car and keys in hand in an hour or so tops. Of course I ordered my car and got it the way i wanted it, so i had a lot of knowledge on the car. All but handing them the check it was a painless experience with Sutherland Chevrolet. They will definitely get more business.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #22
cjon9657

these stories are great!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I bought my car in early August when dealers were advertising $2K off a 2SS. I had spent two weeks combing the web looking for a specific car and finally when the day came I was ready to buy, I found two that fit the bill. I had one dealer actually offer me $3K off so I called and asked why is this one discount more than others you have. Long story short, they advertised the car with a GM retention rebate that only a few people qualify for. Talking further turns out my name was not on the list. The Internet sales guy wasn't really sure about the details of the program, only that it was for Saturn and Pontiac owners. However I own a GTP and couldn't understand why I wasn't on the list. Found out later because the wife is the one who bought the car, her name was on the list.

So armed now with knowing I get an additional $1K off a GM car, I called Phillips Chevy and found a CGM SS2. I was literally on my way at lunch to buy it when I saw a 2SS VR in the lot of Bill Kay Chevy near where I work. So I stopped in and stood by the car waiting to be pounced on. By that time I had looked the car over and was ready to buy. The sales guy finally walks up and starts a conversation and I say what's your best deal on this car. I have my checkbook and I'm on my way right now to Phillips to buy a car. I was being a bitch but I had been staring at Internet ads for weeks and dealing with tons of emails from salesman.

Now mind you, I had offers from nearly every dealer in my area for $2K off a car. Only problem was finding a 2SS with the hurst short throw, polished wheels and stripes. First offer they came back with was $1K off MSRP. I'm like look, I've got two other dealers right now offering me twice as much off. So the sales guy goes back to the GM and comes back with another offer offer, still not $2K off. I got up, said thanks but no thanks and started to walk out. Halfway I turned around and said look everyone else is offering $2k off, you're telling me you can't even match that? Now the GM gets involved and shows me the invoice. Gives me the song and dance and proceeds to tell me verbatim that the other dealers are lying. That they are pulling some BS and will try and charge me in other ways to make it up. I'm like come on, these guys are all lying? We finally got down to within a few hundred dollars and I agreed. Then I threw out that I get the GM retention rebate. The GM looks at me like I had a third eye.

I should have taken that sign of the way the GM said those other guys are lying and left. Two days later I found a chunk missing out of my rear Pirelli and called the service manager. Basically was told it was a sales issue. OK, np. Now I'm dealing with the sales manager and they refused to do anything about it. I'm like this gouge was there when I got it because your tire dressing is still covering it. They argued that how do we know you didn't do it. Weeks later a GM rep looked at the tire and within two minutes told the dealer to replace it. Finally I thought.

So I get the car back with the new tire. So the next day I decide to clean the tire and get the markings off it. I notice two fine scratches on my polished wheel on different spokes. Apparently done while swapping tires. So here we are again, pointing fingers at who did it. I know it wasn't there when I took the car in because the night before I washed the car and polished and dressed the tires. This is not a daily driver and I'm very anal about keeping it clean and know what is scratched. At two months I have no chips, scratches, or otherwise on this car except for this wheel. I just gave up and did the best I could to make it look right.

In hindsight I wish that I bought the original car from Phillips. This dealer has proven that all that matters is the sale. I've been bugged weekly to fill out the GM survey and these guys have the balls to ask me to give them a 100% rating.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Wakemaker89

Drives: 2020 Summit White LT1 M6
Send a message via Skype™ to Wakemaker89
The day I bought my car was kind of a surprise. I had been looking for either a CGM or IBM 2SS/RS M6 for almost a month online and was having very little luck. I finally found a used IBM with only about 5k miles online at a small used car dealership about 50 miles away.

I talked my dad into coming along with me to look at it as I have never bought a car from a dealership before. (first car I bought was with cash from an online autotrader personal ad) We get to the dealership and the car isn't even there. So I was totally bummed because it was exactly what I had been looking for. So to make the trip not a total waste we went across the street to the Chevy dealership to see what they had. They only had two SS's on the lot one was a 2012 automatic (which I didn't want cause I had a tight budget) and the other was a lowered silver SS M6 with the GM exhaust package. Disappointed that trip was a total bust we headed for home.

On the way home I said we should stop by the Chevy Dealership that is only a few miles from my house just to see what they had on the lot. This dealership had a lot fo 2012's and a bunch of convertibles but only 1 CGM 2SS but it was an automatic. So we went into the dealers office and had him look to see if they could find any CGM or IBM 2SS's within a couple hundred miles that could be transfered.

Apparently because of the Earthquake in Japan the colors were getting very hard to come by and GM wasn't making them anymore so ordering a new one was out of the question. The Dealer told me he had two cars on the lot that weren't in the color I was looking for but everything else was exactly what I wanted. (2SS/RS M6 with the hurst short throw) He had a Summit White and a Victory Red. So I decided to look at the Victory Red because I had already decided white wasn't the color for me. We went for a test drive and the next thing you know they dealer is offering me discount after discount because he could tell that I absolutely loved the car so about 4 hours later (because it was labour day weekend and everyone decided they needed a new chevy!) I was driving home in my brand new Victory red 2SS/RS M6. to this day I still smile every time I walk into the garage and realize that the red beauty is my car!
Wakemaker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
cjon9657

I will never buy from Jon Murdock Chevrolet in Manhattan, KS. I wouldn't even recommend them to my worste enemy its that bad. Wakemaker89, that is a great story. Victory red is a great color. I always liked the victory red and then the black rims chevy put on the new ZL1's.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #26
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
I bought my car from Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in Kearny Mesa,CA. They treated me very well and kept asking and finding ways to save me money. Surprised me from a dealership in CA. Usually all I hear from the ones there is how they find ways to take your money...
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #27
cwahl

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS1 RS M6
I played 3 dealerships against each other with 2 different channels to get the lowest price. I worked the phone team and also the internet team. The internet team got my middle name and the phone team got my first name. I go by both so either worked for me. I did my research on the options and dialed in what I wanted. The only thing I had to flex on was the color but I did get all the options I wanted. When that was narrowed down and after a 2000 mile search there was only 1 car that fit and it was in Vegas. I also did my KBB research and had printouts with me for private party and trade in for if/when they were going to screw me on it. I also had my GM card info ready to go.

Finally... I had my info on GMS discounting ready to go as well. I worked the highest price one first then worked my way down to the lowest priced last. The emails were great as they couldnt budge on "i didnt say this". I also told them coming in that I'm not doing a test drive. I'm also yours for only an hour and a half. Once i'm gone I'm not coming back. My trade in was free and clear as well so I didnt need a new car. I also said you're not running my credit I know I'm tier one credit worthy. I also had checks made out for my down to show them that I was serious and that I wasnt doing the old "we want more down game". I worked the tables back and forth and got really good in my dealings. I ended up playing hardball for the trade in and what made me choose the dealership I went with because I had the salesman sign the quote sheet saying he would combine any offers even if it said they couldnt be combined... when the salesman came back with that quote I gave him my GMS info and he was like.. TOUCHE`. I've never seen someone work us down like this. I got the car 2 days later upon delivery...
cwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #28
Jnathus

Drives: 2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Black
My first dealer experience was the place my father goes to. I had $4K in-hand and the sales guy made it sound like I was ruining his day trying to buy a car. After the 2nd visit and the same treatment, I found another dealership. I think the first one didn't like that I wasn't pulling the trigger that day, and he was talking about a $400 markup.

The 2nd dealership (who had no idea about a $400 markup and thus didn't charge me that extraneous cost) - Hamilton Chevrolet in Michigan, knew about the bad rap that Moran (the BAD dealership) was getting lately, they had what I wanted on the lot, and were perfectly happy with my "I'm not sure I'm buying right now" perspective. I had to drive the Mustang and consider a few other options before I committed. They held the car I wanted with no money down, I managed a great interest rate on the loan and took delivery 2 weeks later.

The day of delivery, I kind of wanted to just hop in the car and go, but the sales guy insisted on the tour. I was glad later, as he showed me stuff that I would've taken a bit to figure out. I only wish he'd told me about the M=sport mode thing on the trans.

First time pulling off the lot was a little daunting. It's hard to see adequately out of the car and I had to get used to judging the distances (previously drove a Honda Civic - so a vast difference in perspective). However I liked the slow rumble of just idling around in the Camaro. I initially didn't like the DI tick that V6 made, but now it's grown on me. I miss having a stick, but they just didn't have a stock in the color I wanted, and I was ready to relax a bit in the shifting department anyway.
Jnathus is offline   Reply With Quote