Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Possible steering issue

I don't know if this was specifically discussed, but if so sorry for the repost. I have tried to use the search but no such luck for my specific issue. Has anyone else had an issue with the electric steering wanting to turn one way or the other at low speeds. It doesn't matter which PTM mode either, it does the same thing. Yesterday I pulled into my neighborhood and was in first gear at about 20 mph and the road crown goes to the right but the car wanted to go to the left. Then I let off the gas and it started to go to the right. I have also notice when I back up and let go of the steering wheel it turns to the right. Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and if so did you have the dealership look at it and what was found. Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
It's the tires, nothing to worry about.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
13ZL1BLove

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Yup my car does the same thing, just the tires tracking weird. Nothin to worry about only worry if the car gets stupid hard to steer. Then you'll know
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Also if you have any grooved interstates from the big rigs like I do here your car will pull one way or the other. The huge tire patch on the Z contributes to this.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
Tire patch as others have said. You'll eventually get used to it.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
KLR ZL1

This is at low speed. Under 30 mph. It never did it before and I have been driving the same streets around my house since I bought the car. Like I said in the OP it seems to climb up the crown. Usually if the street leans to the right the car will pull that way. Mine pulls the opposite and if I let off the gas it goes to the right. So all of you are trying to tell me it's the Goodyears? I have already had the alignment checked and it is fine. I have a friend with an SS and he just happened to tell me one day riding around with him that his does the same thing and I never told him that mine did it. I think it has to do with the electric steering. Not that GM is having any problems with electric steering. Huh.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
This is at low speed. Under 30 mph. It never did it before and I have been driving the same streets around my house since I bought the car. Like I said in the OP it seems to climb up the crown. Usually if the street leans to the right the car will pull that way. Mine pulls the opposite and if I let off the gas it goes to the right. So all of you are trying to tell me it's the Goodyears? I have already had the alignment checked and it is fine. I have a friend with an SS and he just happened to tell me one day riding around with him that his does the same thing and I never told him that mine did it. I think it has to do with the electric steering. Not that GM is having any problems with electric steering. Huh.

Does the SS even have electric power steering? I didn't think they had it, I know mine didn't have it. I do know they put it in the 1LE.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
I say it's the rack my wife's Audi did the same thing it has electronic steering an 1800 rack fixed it
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I think it's the wide front tires. Here is the issue explained on Tirerack.com. It is called "tramlining".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

Last edited by BigBoyBlue; 04-19-2014 at 04:38 PM.
BigBoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
2010 V6 in UK
Mine does it too
I've had the Track and Balance done 3 times, it's perfect technically ...
It's crap roads, ruts, tramlines and shit resurfacing :-(
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post

It's the tires as others have mentioned. It is specifically the width of the front tires that is messing with you. You just weren't aware of it now you are so it will bug you for awhile. I have experienced it in my ZL1 and other vehicles with a wide front track.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #12
KLR ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I think it's the wide front tires. Here is the issue explained on Tirerack.com. It is called "tramlining".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
No No No. This is different. I know what that feels like. If it is the wide tires it would have been doing it from day one. I can get on the toll road and on a straight section literally take my hands off the wheel and it goes straight. If I drive on my street, which is concrete at 20 mph on the right hand side in first gear it wants to go to the center of the street. If I let off the gas it goes to the right, which means it is following the down hill flow of the angle on the street. All streets are designed to have a taper to them for run off of rain. It has nothing to do with the ruts in the road. I know when it does that. I will do some more testing.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
You know, I had another thread where I posted that I thought I had a suspension problem which sounds a lot like your issues. After thinking about it further, I think that it could easily be a steering problem as well. See if this sounds right. To me, it feels like the steering, close to center, has gotten sloppy like it wants to go it's own way and requires constant adjustment even on flat, smooth pavement, not rut related. I had similar responses saying it was the tires, but I'm quite familiar with that feeling as well and it definitely is something different. Mine just started acting up out of the blue too. I haven't had a chance to get it to the dealership yet but plan to soon. If anything, I feel your pain.

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
KLR ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
You know, I had another thread where I posted that I thought I had a suspension problem which sounds a lot like your issues. After thinking about it further, I think that it could easily be a steering problem as well. See if this sounds right. To me, it feels like the steering, close to center, has gotten sloppy like it wants to go it's own way and requires constant adjustment even on flat, smooth pavement, not rut related. I had similar responses saying it was the tires, but I'm quite familiar with that feeling as well and it definitely is something different. Mine just started acting up out of the blue too. I haven't had a chance to get it to the dealership yet but plan to soon. If anything, I feel your pain.
Yes that is what I am talking about. I drive the same streets back and forth to work and even in the same lanes and sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't do it. That definitely isn't the tires width.