Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
camarocam

Drives: Camaro ZL1
ZL1 Shipping Time via Rail and Transport

Hello all. Has anyone received a new GM vehicle from the Oshawa assembly plant? If so how long does it typically take from the time it ships to when it arrives. I realize that this varies greatly however I am curious as to how many days it will take to get my ZL1 to me and I am located in Utah. Do they go out typically on Rail then move to over the road transport? Going towards the west coast what are the rail / transport routes used by GM to distribute their cars? Should I plan on 5 Days, 10 Days, 2 Weeks etc? Any info would be helpful, thanks.
camarocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The last one I bought took two weeks to get to Florida, once it was loaded on the rail. Then it took another couple of days from rail yard to dealer.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
camarocam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
The last one I bought took two weeks to get to Florida, once it was loaded on the rail. Then it took another couple of days from rail yard to dealer.
Thanks! I really want to be here when it arrives so I am trying to adjust my work travel schedule accordingly.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
I'm pretty sure my SS took under 2 weeks to get to the dealership in Western Nebraska
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
camarocam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
I'm pretty sure my SS took under 2 weeks to get to the dealership in Western Nebraska
Ok, thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Took mine 10 days to get to California and 2 days to be delivered from the rail drop.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
How about NY, PA, OH?

I'm hoping the timeline is more like 4 days by rail, 1 by truck....I don't really know why I'm putting random times on things...unless.....oh, shoot. I've got THE BUG!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
How about NY, PA, OH?

I'm hoping the timeline is more like 4 days by rail, 1 by truck....I don't really know why I'm putting random times on things...unless.....oh, shoot. I've got THE BUG!

You guys have about the shortest wait time in the States. It depends what day it gets loaded on the rail. My last one was loaded on a Sunday and the train didn't leave the yard until early Tuesday morning. Then it took two day just to get out of Canada, then seemed to stop in every hole in the wall town it ran across. Once it is loaded you can get the rail car, and track it by calling the railroad 800 number. Mine have always gone on CSX, and somewhere here is the numbers to call the automated tracking service. I haven't tracked a car for two years now, so I have no idea where I put the numbers.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I need to look into this rail-tracking thing....never done it before, and in all honesty - I didn't pay attention when people were doing it in 2009...
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Quote:
How about NY, PA, OH?

That's what I want to know, it should take very long for us. I can drive to the plant in about 5 hours! I wish they would just call me and tell me when to pick it up. haha
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
SlingShot

Hope some of this helps ...

How do I track my car on a railcar?

The first thing you will need is a railcar number. This can be received from your dealer by asking them to contact the Dealer Business Center and asking for it. You can also call Customer Service and ask an advisor for it. Not in all cases will your dealer provide you with a railcar number nor will the Customer Service Reps. I think a lot has to do with the relationship you develop with them. Once you have a railcar number, most important. Never talk to live personnel at the railroad! Only use automated phone system. If it attempts to transfer you to a live person please hang up. The railcar information we are provided by GM is given as a courtesy and if we call live personnel we will lose our data and ability to track CSX 1. Call the CSX 1-800-235-2352 2. When prompted for location or weight, press "1" on your phone for location. 3. When prompted for the car initials, say ETTX (whatever initials you have) then wait for the next prompt. OR key in 32-81-81-92 (for ETTX)(letter and position on your phone) 4. When prompted for the car number, say 907048 or key in whatever your car number is 5. When prompted for next car say DONE. 6. That's it; enjoy your updated status report.

Union Pacific 1. Call UP at 1 800 877-5123 2. Follow phone prompts for Trace 3. Say the railcar number complete and clearly. Example ETTX123456 all together 4. Listen for your update

These automated systems can be frustrating. Keep in mind they are intended for use by folks that use them daily all day long. Like I said if you are being transferred to a live person please hang up and try again or simply post up and one of our team would be happy to help.

Last edited by SlingShot; 03-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
SlingShot

^^^^^

Quote:
I need to look into this rail-tracking thing....never done it before, and in all honesty - I didn't pay attention when people were doing it in 2009...
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
camarocam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Hope some of this helps ...

How do I track my car on a railcar?

The first thing you will need is a railcar number. This can be received from your dealer by asking them to contact the Dealer Business Center and asking for it. You can also call Customer Service and ask an advisor for it. Not in all cases will your dealer provide you with a railcar number nor will the Customer Service Reps. I think a lot has to do with the relationship you develop with them. Once you have a railcar number, most important. Never talk to live personnel at the railroad! Only use automated phone system. If it attempts to transfer you to a live person please hang up. The railcar information we are provided by GM is given as a courtesy and if we call live personnel we will lose our data and ability to track CSX 1. Call the CSX 1-800-235-2352 2. When prompted for location or weight, press "1" on your phone for location. 3. When prompted for the car initials, say ETTX (whatever initials you have) then wait for the next prompt. OR key in 32-81-81-92 (for ETTX)(letter and position on your phone) 4. When prompted for the car number, say 907048 or key in whatever your car number is 5. When prompted for next car say DONE. 6. That's it; enjoy your updated status report.

Union Pacific 1. Call UP at 1 800 877-5123 2. Follow phone prompts for Trace 3. Say the railcar number complete and clearly. Example ETTX123456 all together 4. Listen for your update

These automated systems can be frustrating. Keep in mind they are intended for use by folks that use them daily all day long. Like I said if you are being transferred to a live person please hang up and try again or simply post up and one of our team would be happy to help.
Thanks! Great information. I agree that we must be careful to not talk to a live person which could mess this up for everyone. Good advise.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
Janet

Drives: 2015 Z06, 06 Silverado,
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 View Post
Took mine 10 days to get to California and 2 days to be delivered from the rail drop.
Thanks, I'm in So Cal, so hoping it will be close to the same.

Janet
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote