Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Z/28 Tech Background

Enjoy!!

http://media.gm.com/dld/content/dam/...under-2013.pdf
Old 11-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Thank you very much. I'm especially fond of the airborne Nurburgring pic.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Noticed the 505 HP is SAE rated, but not the 481 TQ. Hmmm???

I'm guessing the HP numbers are old. Hmmm???
Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Looking at all this info, I'm just seeing dollar signs everywhere....

Good luck to those hoping for 65-75K price-tag on only four thousand cars...Don't think it's gonna happen, though.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
j-rho

Drives: '67 Z28
Neat they provided the shock dyno, for the front at least. Has anybody seen one for the rear?
They talk about spring rate changes as a % change from the SS - do we know the front and rear rates in absolute lbs/in. for the SS, ZL1, or 1LE?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Let me start by say GM has done a great job with the Z/28 and I would love to have one.

But....

As much marketing as they have around this car and as much hoopla as they are trying to gear up it just seems to me they are WAY over doing it. What I mean by that is this...you don't see Porsche talking about there cars and all the engineering that goes into them, they just put out a great car and let the car speak for itself. It seems that Chevy is compensating for something that just does not equal all the hype.

I remember when the ZL1 came out, there was hype....but nothing like this. Top it off with the fact there is only going to be 4K made....why are they spending all these marketing dollars for a car that is going to have a buyer before it leaves the production facility? It is not like they are make 20K+ of these things and they are worried about selling them all. Why this constant stoking of a fire that so few will have the chance to experience because of the limited run? I just don't get it.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Let me start by say GM has done a great job with the Z/28 and I would love to have one.

But....

As much marketing as they have around this car and as much hoopla as they are trying to gear up it just seems to me they are WAY over doing it. What I mean by that is this...you don't see Porsche talking about there cars and all the engineering that goes into them, they just put out a great car and let the car speak for itself. It seems that Chevy is compensating for something that just does not equal all the hype.

I remember when the ZL1 came out, there was hype....but nothing like this. Top it off with the fact there is only going to be 4K made....why are they spending all these marketing dollars for a car that is going to have a buyer before it leaves the production facility? It is not like they are make 20K+ of these things and they are worried about selling them all. Why this constant stoking of a fire that so few will have the chance to experience because of the limited run? I just don't get it.
You made made me LOL! Big time! You are joking right???
Chevy did waaaaaaaaay more advertising with the ZL1. I saw it on TV in magazines (actual ads not articles). You couldn't watch any race and not see an ad for the ZL1. It was on in prime-time shows. It was everywhere. Porsche has advertised as well you may just not read the magazines and such that their in. I don't think I've seen an actual magazine ad or a TV commercial for the Z/28. If you have please post it as I'd like to see it.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You made made me LOL! Big time! You are joking right???
Chevy did waaaaaaaaay more advertising with the ZL1. I saw it on TV in magazines (actual ads not articles). You couldn't watch any race and not see an ad for the ZL1. It was on in prime-time shows. It was everywhere. Porsche has advertised as well you may just not read the magazines and such that their in. I don't think I've seen an actual magazine ad or a TV commercial for the Z/28. If you have please post it as I'd like to see it.
You missed my entire point. I am not bashing the Z/28 so first let that sink in and do not be defensive. He is my point one more time.

GM is making 4K MAXIMUM Z/28's. GM will make 10's of thousands of the ZL1.

Every Z/28 will be sold before they are ever made. While the ZL1 allocations at first were tight and difficult...you can find one on just about every Chevy lot today.

The marketing for the ZL1 was equivalent to a car that was going to go beyond the normal brand BUT would be a production vehicle with NORMAL production numbers for a higher end of the brand. There was a need for the marketing because the ZL1 was breaking new ground, was going to be more expensive than an SS by a considerable margin AND GM was planning on making 10's of thousands of them so there was a need for a significant marketing plan to support the price and the uniqueness of the vehicle.

The marketing for the Z/28 has been equivalent to the ZL1 but the car DOES NOT NEED IT. Those who want one know all they need to know and price will not be an option for most, if not all of those who desire to have one and have the means. Again, only 4K cars, 10's of thousands of buyers. Why the incessant need to continue to market a car that you already have every single one spoken for???

Still laughing?? If you are, I would love for you to make a coherent argument for marketing a product that has 10X the market versus production. It does not make sense to continue to pour HUGE amount of money into the effort.

This is a business conversation, not a slam on the vehicle, its purpose, or anything related to the car itself.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
This will help ZL1 sales since it, the Z/28, will have limited production and be more costly to purchase and maintain.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

OK, Let's look at it from a corporate perspective...Yes! That's the reason. Think corporate. GM is "obviously" moving these cars (Camaro, Corvette, Impala...) up the ladder and they want "everyone" yes "EVERYONE" to know it. Another thing to consider is that a number of the Z/28 parts will be available to the 100,000++ owners so inclined. That's right turn your Camaro into a track monster, call your local GM parts department.

Still in my opinion up to this point there was waaaaaaaaay more ZL1 hype. And why not it's a great car!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
They have to get the word out. There aren't 4K Camaro5 members waiting to buy one. This particular PDF I believe was given to the media for them to view when they made their visit to the Milford Proving Grounds so it wasn't really made for us from what I could tell. Certainly nothing to complain about.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
mkorgan

Just remember, everything cost money. Marketing, including fancy glossy brochures that promote a wonderful car that they will never make enough of to satisfy the demand just add more cost to the Z/28. At a company like GM, everything is accounted for and must be recovered in sales. I could understand that if they had a normal production run planned but once the ring times came out they should just sit back and say "come and get it". Not worth arguing about, just my opinion as a business owner myself.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Just remember, everything cost money. Marketing, including fancy glossy brochures that promote a wonderful car that they will never make enough of to satisfy the demand just add more cost to the Z/28. At a company like GM, everything is accounted for and must be recovered in sales. I could understand that if they had a normal production run planned but once the ring times came out they should just sit back and say "come and get it". Not worth arguing about, just my opinion as a business owner myself.
You're looking at it too finite. It's more global than that.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You're looking at it too finite. It's more global than that.
I don't think they're going overboard with advertising at all. It is the first year for the new "Flagship" car in the Camaro line.

The top of the line car usually gets all the attention...so when it gets customers to the show-room, they'll at least drive home with a V6...lol..
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote