Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLIMITCUSTOMS View Post
Sunday i started hearing noise around SC.sounds like a idler pulley going out,but it goes and comes,never steady!!!!
Had this problem and I pulled the pulley inspected it. It seemed a little stuck so I worked it lose and put back on. I also cleaned the bottom of the belt and my screaming whine has been gone since. I do have a Metco replacement but will wait another 500 miles to see it comes back. By the way I used a stethoscope to isolate but still took time to find it because it's that loud.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Had this problem and I pulled the pulley inspected it. It seemed a little stuck so I worked it lose and put back on. I also cleaned the bottom of the belt and my screaming whine has been gone since. I do have a Metco replacement but will wait another 500 miles to see it comes back. By the way I used a stethoscope to isolate but still took time to find it because it's that loud.
So would this be the Isolator problem?

All these SC problems are starting to run together.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..and when the car goes out of warranty, the S/C will make noise again with the stock unit....the gall on the shaft with the coupler wear is designed to be that way. Eaton engineering. It's baked in the cake, and it won't fail, it just sounds like marbles in a can. You can replace all the factory S/C's you want under warranty, fact is the noise will always be there after time.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #32
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So would this be the Isolator problem?

All these SC problems are starting to run together.
This has nothing to do with the isolator which is a rattle, this is a constant whine that increases with throttle but can no longer be heard above 3000 because of the engine noise. My isolator as described stopped making noise around 2000 miles as it probably has grooved the shaft.

Last edited by ZMEnow; 12-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..and when the car goes out of warranty, the S/C will make noise again with the stock unit....the gall on the shaft with the coupler wear is designed to be that way. Eaton engineering. It's baked in the cake, and it won't fail, it just sounds like marbles in a can. You can replace all the factory S/C's you want under warranty, fact is the noise will always be there after time.

I want to believe this is true. But I would also like to see an article or something from Eaton about this situation. Just for peace of mind.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Reaper View Post
I want to believe this is true. But I would also like to see an article or something from Eaton about this situation. Just for peace of mind.
..Eaton won't tell you that, but many guys here have posted that fact enough that it would convince a jury if this was a trial, just sayin.....
Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
Baer383

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray
^

MODS, a lot of money,a lot of parts,a lot of time,a lot of patience.

754 RWHP 747 RWTQ 93 Octane

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347243
Baer383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Just to be clear, (marbles in a can) is the isolator rattle and you are correct... I've never been worried about that since a smaller pulley has always been in the plan. The problem I have is definitely a failure. It's extremely loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
This has nothing to do with the isolator which is a rattle, this is a constant whine that increases with throttle but can no longer be heard above 3000 because of the engine noise. My isolator as described stopped making noise around 2000 miles as it probably has grooved the shaft.
Thanks for confirming. Exactly what I have which is bearing and full SC replacement.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #37
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Just to be clear, (marbles in a can) is the isolator rattle and you are correct... I've never been worried about that since a smaller pulley has always been in the plan. The problem I have is definitely a failure. It's extremely loud.

Thanks for confirming. Exactly what I have which is bearing and full SC replacement.
...did you have the unit repaired yet? Anything that becomes a howl, grind, whine, or constant noise of one type or another that progressively gets louder over time and useage is going to grenade and fail. Intermittent noise that is a nusaince is different.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
...did you have the unit repaired yet? Anything that becomes a howl, grind, whine, or constant noise of one type or another that progressively gets louder over time and useage is going to grenade and fail. Intermittent noise that is a nusaince is different.
Car is at dealer and SC is on order. Mine was squealing pretty bad.

I had just gone though 3/4 tank of hard back roads driving with some other cars. Didn't notice it until I pulled into the garage, but it definitely wasn't going away.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #39
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Car is at dealer and SC is on order. Mine was squealing pretty bad.

I had just gone though 3/4 tank of hard back roads driving with some other cars. Didn't notice it until I pulled into the garage, but it definitely wasn't going away.
I hope you are back and up and running in short order. I've been lucky so far with mine. Just the usual infrequent noises here and there that we have seen reported. Nothing that raises any concern. The good thing is that Chevy will take care of it no doubt!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I hope you are back and up and running in short order. I've been lucky so far with mine. Just the usual infrequent noises here and there that we have seen reported. Nothing that raises any concern. The good thing is that Chevy will take care of it no doubt!
Called yesterday and the SC has been on backorder for 3 weeks now..

Started a list of all of these here
Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #41
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Reaper View Post

there is a huge write up over on the CTSV forums you can search out. I can't remeber if was a GM or eaton engineer posting in the thread. the wear in the shaft is by design. they consider it accpeptable it never eats into the shaft far enough to mechanically make it fail.

people call it an eaton thing but if my memory is correct it is a GM/eaton thing. the ford unit's use a coupler not issolator on some models. Hence the aftermaket going to a coupler on this blower as well. these shops did not just pull that out of their .... well you knows.

This blower is custom made for GM by eaton.

I read up about this stuff before I even had a car. LSA has been out since 2009. this is nothing new people just did not reasearch the engine before they bought the car. I was trying to figure out the best mods for the engine and stumbled into that stuff. there was no info on this site yet.

my rattle is livable right now and my bearing is quiet but I knew full well these would be issue I may have to deal with at some point before I had a car in my driveway.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #42
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Does anyone know if this was resolved for the 2014 model year?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, supercharger, whine noise, zl1