Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Look what the UPS man dropped off today!

My first mods, Strut brace and 1LE sway bars (27mm front and 28mm rear)

Putting these on Monday and I can't wait. Also going to paint the ends of the brace black.

On a side note, bought the sway bars from partstaxi.com. Emailed them a question and they never responded. I was also disappointed that one of the sway bars was shipped without a box. It also took 8 days before my order was shipped. Needless to say, I will not be ordering from them again.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I hope you know that just a standard GM strut brace that comes standard on convertibles, hope you did not buy thinking it's a 1LE brace.

Also if those are 1LE sways, you are going to need endlinks before you can mounts them. Or is that them in the bag?

Oh an congrats.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Austin45
The Logistician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I hope you know that just a standard GM strut brace that comes standard on convertibles, hope you did not buy thinking it's a 1LE brace.

Also if those are 1LE sways, you are going to need endlinks before you can mounts them. Or is that them in the bag?

Oh an congrats.
Yep, that's them in the bag, and yeah typing error, I only ment to put the 1LE on the sway bars.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
I thought I read somewhere that the 1LE comes with that strut tower brace.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
that's weird because i just got my 1LE sways and end links as well today! lol had to get new lower control arms thought since i'm a 2011. have no clue what i'm doing so i'm going to pay dealer to do it sometime soon. also got me some SS struts and springs to get put on at the same time.

You got brembos right now? i've read that when the stock pads wear out that it can hit these new endlinks, but i think it should be good for a month or so.
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
It won't stop there...come on what's next?? lol

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The 1LE sway bar ratio is not well suited to a 5th Gen with staggered wheels and tires. The 1LE comes with a semi-square wheel and tire setup. The tires are the same ront and rear, but the rear wheel is wider than the front. This reduces understeer. The 1LE comes with a 27mm front bar and a 28mm rear bar. The ZL1 comes with a 25mm front bar and 28mm rear bar. Several magazines have confirmed what I am about to type. There is more understeer in the 1LE than a ZL1. There is a reason for that. GM like most OEMs designs understeer into the vehicles they build. When a car with understeer slides lifting on the accelerator and hitting the brakes will improve things. That is what most drivers understand so that makes it safer to build in understeer. Lift in a slide on an oversteer vehicle and you are gone. Only performance drivers get that.

If you want to reduce understeer, the only real reason to change sway bars, the ZL1 bars are a much better choice. Pedders has been running 27mm front bars since early in 2009. Our ZL1 bars are now 27mm front and 32mm rear. That is a difference in front to rear bar size of 5mm to create great balance in the corners. The ZL1 has a difference of 3mm. The 1LE is 1mm. My suggestion is to return the front 27mm bar and exchange it for a 25mm rear bar. You'll have a much better handling 5th Gen.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
usafboy

^^^good information but my cars my DD so I don't hit ANY corners fast enough to have to fight with under or oversteer lol have no plans on running on a track. Just want something tight that's all
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
London-SS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The 1LE sway bar ratio is not well suited to a 5th Gen with staggered wheels and tires. The 1LE comes with a semi-square wheel and tire setup. The tires are the same ront and rear, but the rear wheel is wider than the front. This reduces understeer. The 1LE comes with a 27mm front bar and a 28mm rear bar. The ZL1 comes with a 25mm front bar and 28mm rear bar. Several magazines have confirmed what I am about to type. There is more understeer in the 1LE than a ZL1. There is a reason for that. GM like most OEMs designs understeer into the vehicles they build. When a car with understeer slides lifting on the accelerator and hitting the brakes will improve things. That is what most drivers understand so that makes it safer to build in understeer. Lift in a slide on an oversteer vehicle and you are gone. Only performance drivers get that.

If you want to reduce understeer, the only real reason to change sway bars, the ZL1 bars are a much better choice. Pedders has been running 27mm front bars since early in 2009. Our ZL1 bars are now 27mm front and 32mm rear. That is a difference in front to rear bar size of 5mm to create great balance in the corners. The ZL1 has a difference of 3mm. The 1LE is 1mm. My suggestion is to return the front 27mm bar and exchange it for a 25mm rear bar. You'll have a much better handling 5th Gen.
London-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
London-SS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you know the part number for the strut? Also how much was it? Thanks
London-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:

Oh an congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the 1LE comes with that strut tower brace.
That's because they are the same brace. GM calling the one on the 1LE the 1LE brace changes nothing.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
usafboy

22756880 is the part number for the strut brace. Like said above its just the same as the regular strut brace that's been around for a few years.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I'm not sure why people buy from companies like this when you can buy from Maureen.

Maureen is the best and in all cases will have the best price around.

This is why we love Becky (for sales) and Maureen (for parts)!

Sent from my 2SS/RS via Tapatalk

Last edited by nyrfan; 12-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
Austin45
The Logistician

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
that's weird because i just got my 1LE sways and end links as well today! lol had to get new lower control arms thought since i'm a 2011. have no clue what i'm doing so i'm going to pay dealer to do it sometime soon. also got me some SS struts and springs to get put on at the same time.

You got brembos right now? i've read that when the stock pads wear out that it can hit these new endlinks, but i think it should be good for a month or so.
A friend and I are going to do everything, he is rather mechanically inclined, and no I don't have brembos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
It won't stop there...come on what's next?? lol
There is such a long, expensive list, I tried to not get sucked in but it's in my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
^^^good information but my cars my DD so I don't hit ANY corners fast enough to have to fight with under or oversteer...Just want something tight that's all

Quote:
I'm not sure why people by from companies like this when you can buy from Maureen.

Maureen is the best and in all cases will have the best price around.

This is why we love Becky (for sales) and Maureen (for parts)!

Sent from my 2SS/RS via Tapatalk
I've know about Becky but found out about Maureen a few days after I ordered these. Any future parts are coming from Maureen, I really like that they give you an upfront price and it's NOT like "oh hey we have super cheap parts and then we are going to gouge you in shipping and handling"