Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
LFX Fuse Pull

I have seen some threads about the advantages of running 93 octane in the LFX. My question is about doing a fuse pull the same as the LS3/L99 engines.

Is the fuse pull necessary & if so which fuses?
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
From what I understand, the fuse pull doesn't benefit the LFX engine. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
rsv07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
fuses 5 and 20 in the fuse box under the hood
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Niko
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: Black Camaro LFX
What does the fuse pull do
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
LS1346CID
Enjoying the lil things

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS Loaded - Lil Red
Yes, what does the fuse pull do??

I consistently run my 1LT RS on 87 octane and get 29+mpg on the highway. No pinging or any noticeable performance loss either during "normal" and "spirited" driving.

I did run 93 octane in it for the first 10K miles though, sure makes a tank a bit more expensive

With the exception of : BrakePerformance slotted and drilled rotors, K&N filter, other misc bolt on's, Tint, Clear Bra, WhiteOut emblems, Painted Calipers
LS1346CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

On the V8 Camaro's it resets the ECM so it can "see" the 93 octane and run more spark advance timiing.
I have read the LFX resets by itself, but I have also read it does not reset by itself.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Spend the 2-3 bucks a tank and put in the good stuff, drive it like its stolen and have fun.
Others that have posted that knock sensors retard the ignition to avoid pinging are correct. So if you say, "I put in 87 and it doesn't ping" you are right. Because if necessary,(you wont know) the computer is cutting back on power/ignition advance to avoid it. You wont know what your car will do until you give it the gas to do it. You paid 30k for a cool car and try and save 3 bucks a tank ? Sheesh. JMO. You should have bought a Toyota Yaris. I hear Priuses dont knock either.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Here is what Tracy (SC2150 on the forum) from RevXtreme had to say about the LFX octane tables in another thread:
Quote:
On a L99/LS3/LS7/etc. if you run 87 the PCM switches timing tables to the low octaine tables and the performance/economy suffers as well. It is marketing that dictates the fuel as the V6 is considered the "entry level/economy" version of the camaro/caddy CTS, etc. Same with the cheap oil. Why in the world would a lower grade oil be reccomended in an engine that is far more susceptable to wear and damage due to the timing chains/tensioners when using a premium full synthetic eliminates the issues? The LLT with the Bosch ECU is constantly adjusting timing based upon spark knock (detonation) it reads. If no knock, then it runs full advance where the engine performs at its best both power and economy. The LFX with the GM PCM has the high and low octaine table not unlike the V8's so it will default to the low octaine and stay there unless reset or so many cycles of no detonation triggers it to high ocatine tables.
He has also stated that to reset it requires a tune, but it was also mentioned you could try disconnecting the battery cable overnight. I don't think the 5/20 fuse pull does anything, though, for the LFX.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Here is what Tracy (SC2150 on the forum) from RevXtreme had to say about the LFX octane tables in another thread:

He has also stated that to reset it requires a tune, but it was also mentioned you could try disconnecting the battery cable overnight. I don't think the 5/20 fuse pull does anything, though, for the LFX.

So with my LLT, I will gain peak power running higher octane gas and better oil?
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
Spend the 2-3 bucks a tank and put in the good stuff, drive it like its stolen and have fun.
Others that have posted that knock sensors retard the ignition to avoid pinging are correct. So if you say, "I put in 87 and it doesn't ping" you are right. Because if necessary,(you wont know) the computer is cutting back on power/ignition advance to avoid it. You wont know what your car will do until you give it the gas to do it. You paid 30k for a cool car and try and save 3 bucks a tank ? Sheesh. JMO. You should have bought a Toyota Yaris. I hear Priuses dont knock either.
Relax Henry, no need to get your panties in a wad & you can stick your toyota where the sun don't shine.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
So with my LLT, I will gain peak power running higher octane gas and better oil?
You may gain power with the higher octane fuels, especially since the LLT can adjust on the fly. Will it be enough to be noticeable? Not sure. But you'll know your engine is running at its best, I guess.

I think the oil comments were in reference to maintaining the timing chains, which are prone to fail with low oil levels or oil that has broken down. SC2150's position is that synthetic oil provides the best protection against that.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I filled up with 93 and pulled the battery cable as soon as I got the car.. I averaged 22mpg around town. More now with the PTB and CAI.

Also tried the fuse pull, didn't seem to do anything.
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote