Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
Changing a 6 speed to Automatic

I am still waiting on the convertible Camaro to become available and was thinking of getting an auto this time instead of a 6 speed. (getting older or maybe lazy)

Now I realize it would be easier to just buy an auto Camaro but with all the problems I have read about trying to get the computer tuning right for the 6L80E transmission I was wondering if a trans swap, from 6 speed to 6 speed auto with a stand alone computer would work better.

The engine would still have the extra hp from factory and the VVT would be gone along with the paddle shift setup and extra buttons. Change the shifter on the console to what ever you like and go.

Just an idea I had what do you think.

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
2KWIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Way too much money to do a swap. The A6 cars I have seen don't seem to be having any issues and it would still be cheaper to delete AFM and VVT.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KWIK4U View Post
I am still waiting on the convertible Camaro to become available and was thinking of getting an auto this time instead of a 6 speed. (getting older or maybe lazy)

Now I realize it would be easier to just buy an auto Camaro but with all the problems I have read about trying to get the computer tuning right for the 6L80E transmission I was wondering if a trans swap, from 6 speed to 6 speed auto with a stand alone computer would work better.

The engine would still have the extra hp from factory and the VVT would be gone along with the paddle shift setup and extra buttons. Change the shifter on the console to what ever you like and go.

Just an idea I had what do you think.

Danny
There is presently no stand-alone computer for the 6L80E in the Camaro. I tried to get one... :(
Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
2KWIK4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Way too much money to do a swap. The A6 cars I have seen don't seem to be having any issues and it would still be cheaper to delete AFM and VVT.

Lots of posts on this site about the auto not being able to handle hp. With saving the money at the dealership by going 6 speed and sell the 6 speed afterward should take the bite out of a pocketbook.

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
2KWIK4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
There is presently no stand-alone computer for the 6L80E in the Camaro. I tried to get one... :(

That.......... is a major problem, guess I will just have to wait.

Like I said just an idea, I have done this to another older car (4L60E with a stand alone computer) I thought it could work for a new one.

Danny

Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I think it's blasphemy.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
2KWIK4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
I think it's blasphemy.

I am sorry.... please forgive me!! Must be a sign of getting older

Danny (the sorry guy)

Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
speedster
SST...

Quote:
That.......... is a major problem, guess I will just have to wait.

Like I said just an idea, I have done this to another older car (4L60E with a stand alone computer) I thought it could work for a new one.

Danny
You can do it with a swap to a 4L60E, 4L80E or 4L85E, but then of course you lose the 2 additional gears. The 6L80E is actually a pretty tough unit, but the HP parts are not all out there yet. The lack of stand-alone computer is an issue because the factory trans runs on a digital bus interface to the main computer and the data streams are not public knowledge. Can't blame GM in the least bit, they have a lot to protect.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
2KWIK4U

Well maybe all it takes is a little more time and someone will work the bugs out and it will hold up just fine. When the 4L60 first came out it wasn't all great either.

By the way, I agree with you "to much hp is almost enough"

Thanks for the info

Danny

Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
speedster
SST...

Quote:
By the way, I agree with you "to much hp is almost enough"
Danny - Based on your avatar, you are there too !!!

Factory Five makes nice stuff...
Old 05-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow
Old 05-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
You can do it..

The C6 Corvette Community has been doing it for a few years now. It is just an EXTENSIVE wiring job, to re-wire the PCM, and all other systems.

You can also do a TCI 6L80E swap, and use their TCI T-com controller. It is an EXTREMELY simple hook up.
Quote:
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
2KWIK4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Perf_Eng View Post
You can do it..

The C6 Corvette Community has been doing it for a few years now. It is just an EXTENSIVE wiring job, to re-wire the PCM, and all other systems.

You can also do a TCI 6L80E swap, and use their TCI T-com controller. It is an EXTREMELY simple hook up.

Is the wiring job extensive because of changing an auto to auto with standalone computer or going from 6 speed to auto with stand alone computer. I thought with a swap from manual to auto it would be simpler because of using a stand alone computer and harness?

Danny

Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
2KWIK4U

Quote:
Danny - Based on your avatar, you are there too !!!

Factory Five makes nice stuff...
Thanks, I sure do love my roadster and the company couldn't be nicer to deal with but I have always be a GM man myself. My first performance car was a 74 Camaro and after that I was hooked. I have a gentleman who is buying my FFR roadster so I have money to lay down on a convertible Camaro.

It's hard waiting!:(

Danny