Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
He misspoke, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that as a mistake. This is why detailing terminology is so frustrating, ESPECIALLY in the internet age where everything you say is permanently recorded. One slip of the tongue and you've confused 10,000+ people. Hell, Sal Zaino built an empire off of selling misbranded products, Turtle Wax does the same, NuFinish, the list goes on and on.

But if you're doing it this weekend, this is what you want to do:

Polish
Apply sealant
Let it haze up for approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on ambient temp and humidity
Buff off
Let it set overnight
If you see any hazing or streaks the next morning, go over it again with detail spray and a microfiber towel (this sometimes happens as it cures)
You're now free to apply another coat, wax, etc.
But ALWAYS wait 12-24 hours after applying a coat of sealant before you apply anything else.

Sealant---->Sealant; Wait 12 hours
Sealant---->Wax; Wait 12 hours
Wax------->Wax; Go for it

So, given the hassle of waiting so much, what I normally do is apply my sealant. Then I'll drive the car until my next wash. Then apply another coat of sealant. Drive it til the next wash, then apply my wax. This way I'm not messing around waiting idly, and I'm always sure I'm applying my next coat to perfectly clean paint.
I'm doing the clay to sealant thing for the first time in my life....using a PC for the first time too. These threads are great.

I'm a bit nervous and don't want to mess anything up. I bought a PC kit from Adam's. I have Swirl and Haze remover, Fine Machine Polish, and Machine Super Sealant. For the clay I have the speedy clay cloth and clay lubricant. I don't want to screw anything up.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangore View Post
I'm doing the clay to sealant thing for the first time in my life....using a PC for the first time too. These threads are great.

I'm a bit nervous and don't want to mess anything up. I bought a PC kit from Adam's. I have Swirl and Haze remover, Fine Machine Polish, and Machine Super Sealant. For the clay I have the speedy clay cloth and clay lubricant. I don't want to screw anything up.
Take your time. It will be hard to mess things up with a PC, so just watch the videos again, relax and take your time.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
Synthetic sealants are engineered for longevity in mind, first and foremost. To get the most life out of them, they need to "bond" to your paint...which is where the cure time being discussed in here comes into play. The curing process is when the sealant does it's bonding.

If you layer a sealant over a glaze for instance (which only lasts weeks rather than months) then the sealant will begin to degrade at the same rate the glaze does, which is relatively quickly in comparison.

Our recommendation is:

• Seal to create a long-lasting barrier to build upon.
  • Glaze to add depth and gloss to your finish.
  • Wax to amplify the depth and gloss of the glaze, as well as lock everything in. Think of the wax as your final barrier between the environment and your paint.

Simple enough, right?

Never thought of it that way, but thanks!

Quote:
Ok I wish somebody would provide some evidence to one side or the other on this. Todd from Autopia will argue the opposite, that sealants actually bonding or cross linking to paint is a myth. Obviously you're both well respected in this area, so I don't understand how we can still have this disagreement in this day and age of science and tech. This isn't a matter of opinion, it either does or it doesn't.

I will say I have found no difference in longevity whether sealant is applied first or after glaze. This makes my personal belief that sealant does not actually bond to paint, or if it does, it's not enough to impact long term performance.

Also when you have every single company on one side of the debate and only Adam's on the other... Idk.
So there's no such thing as locking in a glaze by sealing after uh?
POWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #32
Tecca

Drives: ...
I tend to agree with Todd on this situation. My understanding is that a glaze is kinda like that final polish/cleaner that helps with remove the small micro elements that are left on the paint. It also helps fill some of those micro abrasions. With this it gives the clear coat that pure clear finish. Sorta like making the clear coat look like a perfect piece of glass over the paint, and makes it so that light won't reflect. So then when the sealant goes over the glaze it is helping to lock in the glaze. Now that is not saying that a glaze isn't doing the same thing when putting on a sealant but then what is protecting the glaze. You might as well skip the glaze and use a spray carnuba or a hybrid sealant like CG V7.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Glaze seems to have two meanings... some say its simply a product that is meant to beautify paint and mask imperfections and has a very temporary effect. Others treat is as an extremely mild abrasive used as a last step product.

For the latter, I don't see the point so the only glazes I've ever found use out of are the ones that cater to the first prescribed definition, such as Adam's Brilliant Glaze and Poorboy's Blackout.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMAN View Post
Never thought of it that way, but thanks!

So there's no such thing as locking in a glaze by sealing after uh?
When did I say that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
Travis64

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1lt rs auto 4-9-11
well this stinks

i waited 40mins after machine sealant and used the glaze then americana

looks good and water comes right off

wish i would of seen this thread yesterday i just went by the adams vids
Travis64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
Tecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
well this stinks

Your fine, no harm done. Everyone does it different, you did what Adams suggested.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecca View Post
Your fine, no harm done. Everyone does it different, you did what Adams suggested.
No... Adam's suggest waiting 12+ hours after MACHINE sealant. Quick sealant is the 30 minute one.

Unless that's changed.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #38
Tecca

Quote:
No... Adam's suggest waiting 12+ hours after MACHINE sealant. Quick sealant is the 30 minute one.

Unless that's changed.
DOH. I should learn to read, for some reason I didn't see the 40min statement. Matt is right to wait the 12 hours. However you should be fine nonetheless.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #39
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecca View Post
DOH. I should learn to read, for some reason I didn't see the 40min statement. Matt is right to wait the 12 hours. However you should be fine nonetheless.
Score: me-1, tecca-276

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #40
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis64 View Post
well this stinks

40 minutes is fine for Quick Sealant, but at least 12 hours is what we recommend for the MSS.

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote