Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Whipple81

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Replacing Hard Line - Brake Diagram?

Hey all, just looking to see if anyone has a schematic for the brake system - I assume it's roughly the same for the entire model range (hard line routing, etc) but in case it matters, it's a 2014 2SS/RS 1LE.

Does the hard line go all the way to the master cylinder in a single, continuous piece? Or is there a junction somewhere mid-body? Obviously I'm crossing my fingers that it's not a continuous line...

A few weeks back I put er into a curb and the wheel hit the inside of the wheel well, pinching off the hard brake line. I did a temporary fix and fabbed up a short piece of brake line mimicking the stock piece and used a coupling to attach it to the stock line. Couple reasons I want to replace it - the stock line is coated, and...well...I hate anything that's jimmy rigged.

I want to get an idea of what I'm gonna find under there BEFORE I start in on it, so I can minimize time that my wife's car spends in the driveway while I work on the Maro, and if I know how much of a PITA it's going to be before I start, I can avoid a lot of frustration.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Whipple81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Two lines come out of the master cylinder. If memory serves, they go to the ABS leaving the direct to wheel runs (4) coming out of the ABS. Under your hood I believe it (ABS) is on the left side.

If this is the passenger front wheel (probably given your hit curb statement), it's probably not too much effort to replace. Otherwise...

I have been told if you replace the hard line to the ABS, you will get air into the ABS. As such, you'll need to to take it to the dealer to have them bleed the ABS using the Tech II tool.

Of course please verify with a qualified mechanic.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
In case you still need the info, the brake hardline is 3/16", GM part # 88983905. The part is listed as "3/16" x 16ft, bulk tubing" so I wouldn't bother ordering it from GM since it lists for $73.34 and you'd still have to bend it yourself. Amazon has it for $34.66 here or you can always get one that's already pre-bent off a donor/parts car locally.

Here's the diagram I'm referencing: link

The diagram shows a coupler that'll join the two lines mid body, so it's not one continuous piece to the ABS module (which makes sense, because both lines have the same part number i mentioned above). The joint uses two part numbers:
#3 GM#11569751 (M10x1.0x16 hex nut, inverted flare fitting)
#18 GM#11518565 (union fitting).

Note that #3 is used on both ends of the hardline so keep that in mind in case the end that connects to the brake hose gets stripped when you're removing it.

Lastly, attaching a new fitting to the line will require renting a double flare tool in order to flare out the end of the line after slipping on the new fitting. So in other words, getting a replacement off a parts car would really limit the headache (Ask me how I know lol).
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS | RotoFab CAI | ARH 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ HFC | SW Retro Exhaust | ZL1 Shifter | Ridetech Coilovers | FE4 conversion | UMI toe rods & trailing arms | Prothane Subframe & UCA bushings | Detroit Speed sways | Forgestar F14 wheels | ZR1 Blue Calipers | Tuned by ADM Performance

SSeric's Build Thread
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Whipple81

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I ended up just getting the brake line from the dealer (it was expensive, but I KNEW it was the same stuff) and fabbed up a piece from where it first shows itself to the flexible line using the coupler and fittings listed on the diagram. Soooo, if anyone needs some hard, coated brake line, IM me! Haha
Whipple81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, diagram, hard, line, schematic