Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Fuse for non-RS DRL?

Does anyone know if there is a fuse that controls the Daylight Running Lights on the non-RS? I took a look in the owners manual and didn't see one but I would've thought there would be one.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
are you just trying to shut them off or tap into them?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
are you just trying to shut them off or tap into them?
Shut them off.

I would prefer to not have the DRLs on....I think it would look better that way since they are basically like have the headlights on. Someone mentioned to look at pulling the fuse but I can't seem to find one.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 09-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Does anyone know if there is a fuse that controls the Daylight Running Lights on the non-RS? I took a look in the owners manual and didn't see one but I would've thought there would be one.
I thought the fogs on a non-RS were just that, fog lights? Only the RS packages had the DRL's? In that case, why not just push the center button for the lights and turn them off? Unless with the auto headlight function they come on, in the non-RS cars?

I'm confused.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I thought the fogs on a non-RS were just that, fog lights? Only the RS packages had the DRL's? In that case, why not just push the center button for the lights and turn them off?

I'm confused.
Your are correct....the fogs on the non-RS are just fog lights and can be turned on/off. That's not what I'm looking to do.

On an non-RS the DRL is basically the headlights at a lower wattage. So, during the day it looks like your lights are on. What I'm looking to do is to remove that. I would prefer for it to look like my lights are not on all the time.
Build Journal
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Your are correct....the fogs on the non-RS are just fog lights and can be turned on/off. That's not what I'm looking to do.

On an non-RS the DRL is basically the headlights at a lower wattage. So, during the day it looks like your lights are on. What I'm looking to do is to remove that. I would prefer for it to look like my lights are not on all the time.
Ahh, I got you. I don't understand why the difference. If the car needs to ship with DRL's, then why not just have DRL fog lights on all of them? Why have RS/non-RS differences? I never knew your headlights acted as DRL's on a non-RS... that's just silly. Especially with the fogs right there.

Are you wanting to cut out the DRL function all together, or how about re-routing them to the fogs if possible? I'd love to cut them out of my car completely. They're useless in a the state I live in. I could see if you lived on the coast with lots of fog, or other weather elements.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
caverman

I would just prefer to remove the functionality all together. If there is a fuse for the DRL that I could just pull that would definately make it easy. Pull the fuse and DRL goes away but healights come on at night......at least that's what I'm hoping for.
Build Journal
Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Ahh, I got you. I don't understand why the difference. If the car needs to ship with DRL's, then why not just have DRL fog lights on all of them? Why have RS/non-RS differences? I never knew your headlights acted as DRL's on a non-RS... that's just silly. Especially with the fogs right there.

Are you wanting to cut out the DRL function all together, or how about re-routing them to the fogs if possible? I'd love to cut them out of my car completely. They're useless in a the state I live in. I could see if you lived on the coast with lots of fog, or other weather elements.
The DRL is the low beam of the Non-RS headlights. You remove that wire, your low beams will no longer work. When DRL's are on, the computer sends a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal on the low beam wire. This makes the low beam dimmer.
MagnumForceGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
I would just prefer to remove the functionality all together. If there is a fuse for the DRL that I could just pull that would definately make it easy. Pull the fuse and DRL goes away but healights come on at night......at least that's what I'm hoping for.
I don't think there is a fuse for the DRL function, since its on the low beam wire it will be on the low beam fuse.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
The DRL is the low beam of the Non-RS headlights. You remove that wire, your low beams will no longer work. When DRL's are on, the computer sends a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal on the low beam wire. This makes the low beam dimmer.
Are you saying there is a wire on the headlight plug for the DRL? If so which one and would it cause a problem for the PWM if it was removed or cut?
Build Journal
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I know it might be a SLIGHT hassle, but can't you just turn the knob for your lights counter clockwise to turn off all your lights? That's what i do anyway.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Are you saying there is a wire on the headlight plug for the DRL? If so which one and would it cause a problem for the PWM if it was removed or cut?
The DRL is the low beam just being pulsed to make the lights dimmer. When all the lights are on, the low beam gets the full voltage.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
to disable them turn the head light control knob to off briefly and release it should shutoff all lighting. You will have to turn lights on and off manually. Also this can NOT be done on canadian cars as DRL are required by law.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
to disable them turn the head light control knob to off briefly and release it should shutoff all lighting. You will have to turn lights on and off manually. Also this can NOT be done on canadian cars as DRL are required by law.
So you can turn off the non-RS DRL by holding the knob to off for just a few seconds?

Hmmm....the only thing that sucks about that is that I'm to lazy to always remember to turn them on now. I'm use to my cars having auto-lights.

I guess if there is no fuse or a something I can do to leave the lights on auto but still disable the DRL then I'll just live with the DRL. They aren't too bad....I would just prefer them not to be on if I could.

I'll give the "turning off" of the headlights a try and see how it goes.

A fuse for the DRL sure would've been nice.
Build Journal