Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
Popping Noise/Rough Idle after Ice-olator install?

I just finished installing the Vmax Black Ice O'lator a little while ago and when I turned the car on I heard a popping noise that continued until I shut the car off after like 30 seconds. I waited a few minutes and then turned the car on again and the popping continued for about another 30 seconds until I turned the car off.

So then I waited about two hours to allow the rtv to cure some more and retightened all the bolts to the intake manifold and turned the car on again. This time the popping noise only lasted about 5 seconds and then stopped. I left the car on for about a minute and noticed that the idle was a little rough and the needle was fluctuating a bit. There's no CELs or stabilitrack or anything on.

There's a video below of the third short start up where you can hear the popping noise about 3 times and then it stops. The total run time of the car so far has been maybe 2 minutes. Only other mods besides the Ice O'lator are K&n Intake, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, and Stock SS Exhaust.

I disconnected the negative battery cable and left it off during the total install time which was about 2-3 hours. (I took my time). I'm thinking that the popping noise and rough idle are probably just due to the ecu needing to relearn itself and that i'm just being a little sissy but I'd like to make sure What do you guys/gals think? Do I just need to run the car and the let the ecu relearn itsself or did I F something up?

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I take it you have checked all the vacuum lines and the connections to the throttle body. Never heard popping like that. Is it popping from top of the motor or exhaust ?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Could the problem be that you initially didn't allow enough time for the rtv to cure, so now you don't have a good seal??
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
ya boy willz

The pop was from the top/front of the motor. Almost sounded like it was from the Tb/intake. According to google popping is sometimes a sign of an intake manifold leak.

Just an update: I went ahead and retorqued all of the bolts and found one of them to be rather loose. Then I turned it on again and let it warm up to operating temp. No popping and the idle was good. I went ahead and drove it around my neighborhood lightly and everything was good.

I'm going to check the bolts again tomorrow and then take it out and beat on it a bit to make sure every thing is good. I think my problem was just that I didn't tighten that bolt tight enough due to reading about multiple people snapping them since they only take 18 ft-lbs.

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35

Last edited by ya boy willz; 08-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
im having a relative same issue but i get a squeal from the back of my intake toward the engine/heads area. Is having 2 broken plenum bolts creating this ?
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Yep, two broken bolts would probably result in a leak. Easy out time, sorry.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I never had a popping like that. It did sound a bit rough at idle initially. Here are videos of mine initially after install & after break-in. It sounds even more smooth now. I think hte bolts may have been the issue for you. ApexChase advised me to re-check & retorque mune periodicly for a few months after my install.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
J_Vibe92

where do i go to order new bolts
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
ya boy willz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
where do i go to order new bolts
The dealer would be your best bet but they're probably going to be pricey.

Another update: I checked the bolts again this morning and they were a little loose again so I retightened them and then took the car out to run some errands. No popping noise, the idle is now smooth again, and the TPMS sensors relearned themselves Got on it a bit and wow! That dreaded dead spot is definitely gone and it pulls alot better/smoother now. I didn't get to beat on it too much because it would climb past the speed limit quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and I'll definitely keep checking/retorquing the bolts for a while.

Last edited by ya boy willz; 08-25-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
J_Vibe92

crap you think any bolt store would have it ?

i broke 2 but i spread out the bolts evenly to compensate. btw whats the best way to lubricate the head bolts? wd40? there is oxidation all over them and squeaks when i try to insert them?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
ya boy willz

They might have something familiar. Take one of the bolts in and see if they can match it up with something the same length and thread pattern. I usually use Ace Hardware when I need bolts/screws/nuts/etc. but I don't know if they have any in Houston.

As for head bolts do you mean the actual bolts for your heads? If so I would make sure the holes for the bolts are clean (debris & old metal will greatly increase the friction and reduce the torque applied) and lubricate them with a thin coat of motor oil. You don't want oil getting in the hole and bottoming out the bolt too early.

If you mean the bolts for the intake manifold I didn't lubricate them with anything. I just used a 1/4in ratchet and tightened them as hard as I could while only using my thumb and two fingers.