Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
olivj

Drives: 2015 Silver Ice Metallic SS Vert
QTP Cutouts on a Vert

Has anyone ever tried to use the oval QTP kit on a convertible? Like the one here http://www.amazon.com/QTEC66K1-Profi...HYDAPYXQT3WNY4

I was thinking that these look a lot lower profile then the no weeds kits since there is a room issue under the vert. I am thinking maybe behind the cats before the resonator??

Open to suggestions....really don't want to cut on any braces or be scared to drive over speed bumps. Really not planning on lowering the car in the future....

Let me know your thoughts.....
olivj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
The concept is good but it's sorta pricey.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
The concept is good but it's sorta pricey.
That is because they are marked up to cover Amazon's cut. It is pretty high on auto parts, I want to say it is around 15%. I think I know a place where you will find a much better price.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
We have them our 2011 vert and 2009 G8 GT, no problem with ground clearence on both and these cars are lower then stock. Great product buy a set and enjoy
Yanko style side strips,BBK Long Tube headers no cats,Maggie 2300,Ported trottle body,58 lb injectors,Pedder's sub frame bushings,QTE cut outs,Corsa Performance Ex., Volant Cold Air Kit,catch can, SLP 20" Red Line Wheels, Raymond's Performance Tune
RAYMOND'S PERFORMANCE BUILT. Plainfield Indiana.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
olivj

Drives: 2015 Silver Ice Metallic SS Vert
I am with you Apex....Didn't realize there was a cheaper alternative...Does your kit come with the turn down side as well? Saw that it came with the part that connects to the pipe itself.
olivj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
tonysplanb

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
That is because they are marked up to cover Amazon's cut. It is pretty high on auto parts, I want to say it is around 15%. I think I know a place where you will find a much better price.
Just ordered mine! Thanks Apex
tonysplanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Apex 66k kit is 385$ plus $21 for shipping. Amazon 66k kit is $390 free shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KZI...=AZ3U4G0N0HCZB. if you want to waste $16 then yeah don't buy from Amazon.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
nobodyspecial

Drives: 30th and 45th Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionick View Post
Apex 66k kit is 385$ plus $21 for shipping. Amazon 66k kit is $390 free shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KZI...=AZ3U4G0N0HCZB. if you want to waste $16 then yeah don't buy from Amazon.
I agree it is nice to save money, but for the cost difference I would still prefer to support a site vendor.

In my experience (not specific to this site since I am new), the site vendors have treated me well far after the sale.
nobodyspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
tonysplanb

I ordered from Apex but they couldn't come up with the part. I then ordered through Summit and they matched Apex's price minus $1.
They are being installed as we speak. I'm hoping to have a fun and loud ride home.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
vgreid

Drives: 2011 'verte SS
Where did you install them? I just had my 2011 vert on a lift and could not find anywhere to install them. Any chance you could post a couple of pics? I already have the oval qtp cutout set, just trying to figre this out. Any help is appreciated. Thx!

Last edited by vgreid; 05-14-2016 at 03:15 PM.
vgreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
tonysplanb

It's places before the muffler since the brace doesn't have space. It basically becomes a muffler delete that you control but not very loud
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
vgreid

Thanks Tony. Here is I think the same angle as your picture.
- Do you still have the stock exhaust? I don't think I have enough space with the stock cans to be able to mount here either
- This looks to be facing forward, or at least on an angle towards the spring and shock, is that right?
- Did you try to mount it up front near the cats? I could not find much space there either, but if it doesn't give much more sound at the back, then I might have to go there somehow

Old 05-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
tonysplanb

Do you still have the stock exhaust? No,I have BorlaI don't think I have enough space with the stock cans to be able to mount here either The part doesn't need that much space
- This looks to be facing forward, or at least on an angle towards the spring and shock, is that right? It does face forward
- Did you try to mount it up front near the cats? I wish they could have but they didn't I could not find much space there either, but if it doesn't give much more sound at the back, then I might have to go there somehow

That is the spot right before my Borla Muffler. When I sent it to the shop I was under the impression that they would be able to find room somewhere in before the resonator. They didn't call me to tell me that they couldn't find space and instead installed it right before the muffler. Don't get me wrong it sounds good and you can still have a conversation or listen to music but I was hoping for loud when I wanted loud and quiet when I needed it. I'm still thinking of removing the resonator and putting in an X-Pipe.
The cutouts on a coupe must sound great but on the convertible you only get what a delete gets in sound.
I'll try to get you a sound clip but the wife just went to bed and will think I'm trying to escape.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
vgreid

With the sound likely not being loud enough at the back, and not having space anywhere really, I came across a solution of installing an aftermarket tunnel brace.

Here is my current situation with the factory braces.

Here is the aftermarket tunnel brace I just ordered, it opens up the space at the turn of the exhaust pipe. So more stability and a little more room, hope it does the trick!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162050131874