Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
yzfmik

Drives: '10 Summit White 2LT M6
Oil leak????

Well I picked up my car yesterday and after it sat in the driveway for about 2 hours. When I moved it I noticed a 3" in diameter oil stain on the ground. Now that it sat in the garage all night there is a 5 or so inch stain on the ground. It's coming from dead center, just behind the front wheels. It appears to be dripping off a crossbar that runs across the bottom. Has anyone else had a problem like this? My service dept isn't open on Saturdays so it will have to wait till Wednesday to be looked at. I assume there's a low oil indicator light so if it gets too low I'll be alerted. I'm wondering if it was overfilled, or spilled down the side of the motor and it will stop. Until Wednesday I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
presholt33
Account Suspended

Drives: too numerous
did you have your oil change lately? sometimes the filter can leak if not on tight enough
presholt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
yzfmik

No the car was just purchased yesterday. If the oil has been leaking at this rate since manufactured I would think it would be low though. I guess I'll pull it out of the garage later and see if I can visualize better where it's coming from.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Check your oil level and if its low add oil! Make sure you don't let the engine oil get dangerously low before you get in for service. Check your brake fluid, tranny and power steering fluid also, these are all super easy to check and top off.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
yzfmik

I peeked under the car and it appears to be coming from the drain plug. I wiped it all down and it leaked a bit less than last night. I assume there is a seal on the drain plug, perhaps that is bad? I'll take it in Wed for a checkup. Oil level was still good too.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Did you try tightening it? If it is leaking it might just be loose...would suck if the drain plug was loose on a new car..but stuff happens. Would be better than a rear main seal leak,but I don't think I've read of the rear main issue on the 6's.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
yzfmik

I tried to tighten it and it moved just a tiny bit. Oil is defiantly coming from the drain plug. I was afraid to tighten it too much, although it did feel pretty tight. Seems like it's leaking today than yesterday, so perhaps that's all it is. I'll let the dealership look at it though, I think that's best.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
I tried to tighten it and it moved just a tiny bit. Oil is defiantly coming from the drain plug. I was afraid to tighten it too much, although it did feel pretty tight. Seems like it's leaking today than yesterday, so perhaps that's all it is. I'll let the dealership look at it though, I think that's best.

Yep...in that case let the dealer worry about it...on a new car not your problem. I was just asking if you checked tighness because it would suck to have the completely plug fall out if it was realy loose and turn into a long wait while the engine was replaced..over something simple. Not likely..but possible.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
yzfmik

Lol, I agree!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
SiNFuLL
SS Chick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to SiNFuLL
Don't feel too bad. At 2600 miles I noticed mine had one. Looks to be the rear main leaking. Took it to the dealership and they put some dye in the oil to "make sure" thats where its coming from. I'm supposed to drive it for 400 miles then go back in.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by presholt33 View Post
did you have your oil change lately? sometimes the filter can leak if not on tight enough
That happened to me. I took it in for an oil change. Afterwards we put it up on my friends lift. The oil pan was not wiped down and the oil filter was not hand tight enought !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Check your oil level and if its low add oil! Make sure you don't let the engine oil get dangerously low before you get in for service. Check your brake fluid, tranny and power steering fluid also, these are all super easy to check and top off.
Did you notice there is no tranny dipstick for the A6 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
Did you try tightening it? If it is leaking it might just be loose...would suck if the drain plug was loose on a new car..but stuff happens. Would be better than a rear main seal leak,but I don't think I've read of the rear main issue on the 6's.
It wouldn't surprise me. Nobody cares about cars except the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNFuLL View Post
Don't feel too bad. At 2600 miles I noticed mine had one. Looks to be the rear main leaking. Took it to the dealership and they put some dye in the oil to "make sure" thats where its coming from. I'm supposed to drive it for 400 miles then go back in.
Not Good.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
import_killa

Drives: 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
Well I picked up my car yesterday and after it sat in the driveway for about 2 hours. When I moved it I noticed a 3" in diameter oil stain on the ground. Now that it sat in the garage all night there is a 5 or so inch stain on the ground. It's coming from dead center, just behind the front wheels. It appears to be dripping off a crossbar that runs across the bottom. Has anyone else had a problem like this? My service dept isn't open on Saturdays so it will have to wait till Wednesday to be looked at. I assume there's a low oil indicator light so if it gets too low I'll be alerted. I'm wondering if it was overfilled, or spilled down the side of the motor and it will stop. Until Wednesday I'll keep an eye on it.
whats ur vin number mine had to have the rear main seal changed theres a TSB for it
1 7/8 AR headers, roto-fab CAI with radiator, fuse box, and valve cover, cam, upgraded fuel system with 85lb injectors, under drive pulley, TVS 2300 S/C, muffler delete, aftermarket wheels, AAC headlights fogs sidemarkers footwell dome and trunk lights.....That's 659.9 RWHP 611.9RWTQ

T
import_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
my friend took his camaro for 10k service and 2days later while parked up, he started his ignition and as he moved, we noticed a big wet oil leak coming straight from the oil filter. Service did not tighten the filter properly!!
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
yzfmik

It's the rear main, goes in Monday :(