Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Old 10-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #379
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIANOMN View Post
Cool Hoping to see it at Sonic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethgrce View Post
We are all hoping to see it at Sonic tomorrow...the weather is supposed to be nice, but cold! Hope you can make it Curt!!!!
Yeah totally.....

Let me know if you need a wiring stud!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #380
cjingle

Drives: 1969 Camaro RS, 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool My First Show

The following is my first experience with my new Camaro:

On the way out to the SMS, I was cruising down the freeway doing about 65 MPH. I noticed something fly by my driver’s side. A little “flash”. A few moments later, another one. I didn’t think nothing of it and thought the tires picked up stone or something. At the time, I was more focused on the horrible sounds coming from the engine compartment. Clattering, vibrations, and drones. I took it easy on the way out. Kept it very slow.

When I got parked at the SMS and prepping the car for show, a guy was standing on the driver’s side and said, “did you know you’re missing several lug nuts?” I circled around and low and behold, indeed, there were missing lugs. I pulled out my little hand socket set and lucked out that I happened to have the correct socket size. I promptly started checking all of the lugs around the car. The rear wheels were still tight. A few were loose. In fact, I took one from the rear to place on the front, driver’s side.

When I got to the driver’s side, all three remaining lugs were extremely loose. I tightened them down the best that I could with my little ratchet. I attempted to add the extra lug I took from one of the rear wheels but it wouldn’t “grab”. Looking closer, I saw that the two missing lugs had “sheared” off the studs. I went to the passenger side and found that all of the lugs were still there. However, they were all very loose. It’s a miracle I’m alive. A lot of scenarios rushed through my head. As I told the story to others, they were astonished.

Now thinking back, the last mile or so before getting to the SMS, I was hearing (but not feeling) a funky drone. I thought it was the exhaust, but was unsure as the racket from the engine compartment suppressed all other noises.

Needless to say, I was extremely nervous on the way back home. More so than I was on my way to the SMS. I had Lorenzo, the president of the Camaro Club, follow me to the Big-I, just in case. I did make it home.

Back to the motor… I’ve decided to swap it out for a ZZ4 Turn-Key Crate Motor. The motor I have now sounds like it’s about to blow any second. When I was nearing home, the oil pressure gauge was bouncing between 0 and 25. I’m thinking it’s still okay and there’s just a loose wire on the sender. But, it doesn’t add to my confidence.

On a positive note, the body, the paint job, the suspension, the drive train are all awesome! The ride was great with the exception of the last few miles (due to the front tires). Everybody at the show loved it. In fact, I’ve gotten invites to the Supercar Nationals, another show at the end of the month, an exposé in the Rods and Rides magazine, and a story on the Garage Built Rides web site. A lot of accolades.

What an experience!
Attached Images

Curt
cjingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #381
cjingle

I decided not to go to the Sonic Show n' Shine yesterday with the state the car is in. I'm hoping I'll make it back to Car Crafters tomorrow to begin work on swapping motors.

For those folks thinking of doing a project like this... I guarantee you'll run into problems along the way. And it's not cheap!

Curt
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #382
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Holy crap dude......seriously. That scared me reading it. I'm really glad you're ok man. Cars can be fixed but I know what youre talking about when it comes to our safety. I'm really glad things turned out for the better.

I'm sorry we missed you yesterday as well....I had to wait most all day for a customer to pick up a car and had way too much on my plate once he did come.

Car looks fantastic. You already know that. I'm just glad you're alright man.

I've been a witness in a civil court case where a man lost his life when his front right wheel came off after recently being serviced.

Scary as hell to just hear people talk about it

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #383
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Glad to read that wheel(s) stayed on

Car looks great ! ! ! ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #384
Bethgrce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black/IOM
I'm sure glad you are alright Curt! Scary stuff. I guess we all should check our lug nuts after any servicing just to make sure!
Hope to see it soon!
Bethgrce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #385
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
Thats crazy Curt. Glad you are alright!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #386
Jmack25
COTW 5/7/12

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS RS
Glad you are ok!
Jmack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #387
2010 BADSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Yikes!!!!! Sorry to hear about the troubles, hopefully everything will be worked out soon. It sure is beautful in the pictures, and in person though! I'm very glad that you are ok, and am still looking forward to the fine tuned finished car that I know is around the corner.
DSS 9" rear with 3.90 gear
Pfadt suspension/Hotchkiss chassis brace
Forgeline Wheels VR3S/Nitto tires

Beware of the LPE Sisterhood
2010 BADSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #388
cjingle

Post Engine

We finally cracked open the engine.

It's bad!

It's a bastardization of engine parts. There are several different kinds of piston rods, pistons, the top of the pistons were hand ground, the balancer is ground up for a crude balance job, the list goes on.

We didn't go any further to find out the source of the knocking noise. Maybe later out of curiosity.

It would cost several thousand dollars to rebuild this engine properly. More if we wanted to get some horsepower.

As such, we're getting a ZZ4 385 Fast Burn Turn-Key motor. Here are some of the specs: http://gmhorsepower.com/Fast-Burn-385-Turn-Key.php

This motor will be here today. Simple bolt in and we have all of the parts we need. It'll be in the car and running by Monday.

What I like the most is that it comes with a warranty.

At this point, there's not much "original" left in the car. This is a brand new car. A pricey brand new car.

Curt
Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #389
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjingle View Post
We finally cracked open the engine.

It's bad!

It's a bastardization of engine parts. There are several different kinds of piston rods, pistons, the top of the pistons were hand ground, the balancer is ground up for a crude balance job, the list goes on.

We didn't go any further to find out the source of the knocking noise. Maybe later out of curiosity.

It would cost several thousand dollars to rebuild this engine properly. More if we wanted to get some horsepower.

As such, we're getting a ZZ4 385 Fast Burn Turn-Key motor. Here are some of the specs: http://gmhorsepower.com/Fast-Burn-385-Turn-Key.php

This motor will be here today. Simple bolt in and we have all of the parts we need. It'll be in the car and running by Monday.

What I like the most is that it comes with a warranty.

At this point, there's not much "original" left in the car. This is a brand new car. A pricey brand new car.
Can't wait to see it still! Maybe before I leave in April you will have it running and complete?? lol
Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #390
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Wow Curt! Thats one nice camaro! Im glad to hear your ok. Cant wait to see it finished 100%
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #391
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Wow,, what a great thread. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your whole experience. Makes me want to do the same to my 68, but if so, will really take what you experienced to heart before I do. Maybe just a paint job to match the 2010. :0) Thanks for sharing this whole experience and drive safe!
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #392
cjingle

Smile New Engine!

Here's the new engine. 350 cu in ZZ4 Fast Burn Turn Key. 385 HP, 385 ft lbs torque. Comes with the serpentine set up and accessories.

I should've not listened to the "experts" and bought this motor from the start. The good thing is that Jim is not going to charge me for the old motor. However, I did dump alot into accessories for it.

Keep an eye on this thread as there's going to be a fire sale coming up!

You can see the old block. The guy actually "hand ground" the forged pistons. There were different piston rods throughout. Also, the rods were in the wrong positions. It's amazing!

The new motor should be in the car on Monday. Hopefully running by Tuesday.
Attached Images

Curt

Tags
1969 camaro, modernization, rebuild, suspension