Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #127
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
Thanks Montreal, I guess I need to do this asap. Wasn't gonna do any engine mods whatsoever but I guess this one needs to be done. There's a speed shop here in town maybe they have a three port catch can in stock.
It sure is a must IMO.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #128
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I am very happy with my Elite engineering catch can. Ruby runs great and has never burned or "lost" one bit of oil. But you should see the nasty gunk my Elite catches which otehrwise would have ended up in my engine. It is easy to install, easy to empty & care for & does a great job. If you love your Camaro a good catch can is the best investment you can make. Here are a couple of pics of some of the crap my Elite catches:

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 01-12-2013 at 10:17 PM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #129
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I am very happy with my Elite engineering catch can. Ruby runs great and has never burned or "lost" one bit of oil. But you should see the nasty gunk my Elite catches which otehrwise would have ended up in my engine. It is easy to install, easy to empty & care for & does a great job. If you love your Camaro a good catch can is the best investment you can make. Here are a couple of pics of some of the crap my Elite catches:

Wow, thanks Ruby.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #130
Botoasy

Drives: 2015 RRM 1LE
I just bought an elite catch can, but this bracket doesn't look right. Can someone show me where it goes?
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #131
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoasy View Post
I just bought an elite catch can, but this bracket doesn't look right. Can someone show me where it goes?
Post up a pic of the bracket. They may have sent you the wrong one. That happened to me. They sent the right one very quickly. I had to temporarily mount mount mine for a day until it arrived.

I have pics of both mountings but I will have to look for them. Pist up a pic so I can help ya out. Who did you buy from?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #132
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Hello, my name is Kevin and I am addicted to C5 and making my 6er the best she can be lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #133
RubyCamaro
Jan

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #134
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet

[/QUOTE]

Is everything good with that? I've never seen anything like that in my catch can. I usually collect about 2oz with each oil change and mine is a dark, rich, almost burnt looking oil that is thin in substance. I can put a finger in it and see my skin though the oil is dark. Those pics almost look as though water or antifreeze might be in the mix and I'm not suggesting that there is an issue but I'd check it out for sure. This is the first catch I've seen with a residual like this.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #135
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Is everything good with that? I've never seen anything like that in my catch can. I usually collect about 2oz with each oil change and mine is a dark, rich, almost burnt looking oil that is thin in substance. I can put a finger in it and see my skin though the oil is dark. Those pics almost look as though water or antifreeze might be in the mix and I'm not suggesting that there is an issue but I'd check it out for sure. This is the first catch I've seen with a residual like this.
I have to agree, that does not look right at all
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #136
Botoasy

Drives: 2015 RRM 1LE
The bracket is basically L shaped dont know where to bolt it though, directions say radiator shroud
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #137
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
I have to agree, that does not look right at all

To me, it doesn't look right nor does it look good. I've attached two pics of mine below and like I said, its about 2oz each time I change the oil. I'm using a synthetic oil by Mobil-1 and its been like this since the beginning of ownership and my catch can was an immediate mod for me before I really did anything else. You can even see where the oil is on the side of the plastic cup, you can see through it or see that its clearly all oil.

Again, I'm not suggesting something is wrong but it doesn't look good and that's the first time I've seen anything like that from any catch can. It looks as though something got mixed in with your oil causing that greenish appearance where as with my pics, its clearly an all oil deposit. I think its worth having it looked at.

Edit: I don't think its a water intrusion as you would see a separation of oil and water which makes me wonder of about antifreeze. Hell I don't know and I'm not a mechanic. Hell I don't even play one on TV but look at the two. There is clearly a huge difference in what your can is collecting Ruby, compared to mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by chozn4service; 01-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #138
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoasy View Post
The bracket is basically L shaped dont know where to bolt it though, directions say radiator shroud

It's a double L bracket that you screw on the radiator fixation. I changed the original screw with one slightly larger and 1 quarter inch longer to give it more grip. The bracket is on the left can, since I have 2 of them. and I made it myself to add the second one with a home made bracket to reinforce. But for 1 can it's the good screw to use.

Name:  catch can install 1.jog.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  catch can install 2.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  136.1 KB
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #139
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Well guys, Ive decided my next move. Was sold on getting a C63 AMG in 2014, but now its been settled. Ill be picking up a C7, hoping Z07 but base C7 will be good enough for me, and ill be getting it in red or yellow but most likely red. Love the car, and maybe because camaro concept cues are in it.
Love the car, always wanted an AMG but this takes the cake
Hope the motor is a good mod friendly platform. With its DI, im a bit scared of it. We will have to see but none the less great job by Chevy. WOW
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #140
chozn4service

Lot of moaning that it looks like a Camaro but I think that's a compliment to the Camaro. Still, if I had the cash I get one for the techno side of it.
This much I know is true, there will be a ton of previous gens on dealership lots in the up coming months as their owners will have to have the next one.
I expect some deals on those cars and I expect some Gen5 owners to step up.
Attached Images