Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Axial Vector Engine

I like the way this sounds. It's a brand New Engine design by an American Company: Axial Vector Engine Corporation.
The engine produces big power at low rpms, and low wieght. (just under 100lbs) Here's an excerpt:

Btw It's a direct-power engine; No Transmissions!!!

Quote:
The new "Axial Vector Engine" has 12 cylinders, with 6 "double-ended" pistons. The drive shaft is in the middle, and the cylinders and pistons surround it. The company that makes it "Axial Vection Engine Corporation", identifies this technology as "Barrel-Type Internal Combustion Engine".

There's a lot of technical-speak describing this new concept in engine design. But to sum it, it is much lighter than the traditional combustion engine configurations, allowing for a great power-to-weight ratio. It has 80% fewer moving parts, which greatly reduces friction, and reduces heat. It's also 50% smaller than standard engines.

It will pump out 200 HP at just 2,000 RPMS, and 650 ft-lb torque at just 1,200 RPMS. It has a 373 cubic inch displacement.

The company forsees a wide variety of applications, but notes that this model would be perfect for hybrid vehicles, because of its light-weight.
They aren't affiliated with GM, yet... they're focusing more on military applications.
But could you see this thing in the Volt?!?!?!
Or even in a car as is...650 lbs. ft of torque...um, Wow!

And Here's a page from the Companies site:
Quote:
The revolutionary Axial Vector Engine is AVEC's flagship technology and will serve as the core of the company's initial market applications. This incredibly powerful, lightweight, and highly efficient radial-design engine is capable of producing significantly higher horsepower and torque with considerably lower fuel requirements than is the case for conventional engines of similar size. At the same time, the Axial Vector Engine is less costly to manufacture and operate, and provides significant environmental advantages over standard internal combustion engines.
Specifically, the Axial Vector Engine:
  • Is lighter and smaller than conventional engines
  • Incorporates approximately 80% fewer parts
  • Requires less maintenance
  • Has a high power-to-weight ratio
  • Is less costly to produce
  • Is considerably cleaner with fewer emissions
  • Is capable of using multiple fuel types, including diesel, JP5 and JP8 military fuels, kerosene, bio-diesels, ethanol, and other blends of these fuels, with a special conversion kit available for the combustion of natural gas or propane
  • Can be controlled electronically
  • Employs remote diagnostics
The first production engine built using the advanced AVEC engine technologies is the "Workhorse 7.2", a multi-fuel, low-emission, high-horsepower, high-torque engine with multiple commercial, military, and vehicular applications that is designed to be the best engine available in its class.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #2
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I saw this somewhere else. It supposedly has a peak horsepower rating in the 800 range. It would be the wave of the future. Sure it looks different, but more power out of less size, moving parts, weight, and fuel? You have to be stupid not to like this. Granted, it would be weird popping the hood and not seeing anything that looks remotely like we are used to. Also I'm thinking they still have to work out how to mount accessories to it, how to mount it in vehicles(especially for retrofit applications), and how to get the power safely and effectively to the ground.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Very interesting indeed. I'm gonna go read some more now.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Strange looking indeed. But, if what all is said is true, these engines will revolutionize cars and travel as we know it. It almost looks to good to be true. I can't wait to see how they are incorperated into cars w/ no more trasmissions, etc. So, does that mean we don't change gears???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham

yeah, all the intantaneous torque that electric engines flaunt, but no electricity. I like it, It's small, and there are two 'crankshaft' protrusions, much like an ordinary car. So, retrofitting and accessories shouldn't really be a problem :Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

They've already got a working generator prototype, that has two magnetic coils on both ends (the two protrusions). which equals double the power output. <===Like I said, if electric is the way to go, could you see this inthe Volt?

The only negative thing I've heard is that this company is a little stuck up to say the least, there are drawbacks, like actual functionability in cars that they haven't addressed. The "excerpt" from their site: that's all they say about the engine (nothing on how it works)! I had to go digging to learn about this thing, the site didn't tell you.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They've already got a working generator prototype, that has two magnetic coils on both ends (the two protrusions). which equals double the power output. <===Like I said, if electric is the way to go, could you see this inthe Volt?

The only negative thing I've heard is that this company is a little stuck up to say the least, there are drawbacks, like actual functionability in cars that they haven't addressed. The "excerpt" from their site: that's all they say about the engine (nothing on how it works)! I had to go digging to learn about this thing, the site didn't tell you.
If you really wanted to make the most of what the Volt has to offer, you should be looking at small turbine engines... its MUCH more efficient than any type of internal combustion engine.

This engine works much like a turbine, in that it can really only operate at one speed efficiently... They say as much in the video. It's effectively a single speed engine, and at that point, you're better off with a turbine for series-hybrid drivetrains...

The one thing that I think may kill this engine is weight and rotating mass... it probably takes a LONG time to accelerate this thing in between different speeds...

The central sinusoidal swash-plate that the pistons ride on has to be a crazy-expensive part to make (3D machining with tight tolerances onto VERY hard steel? Yeah...)

This idea isn't that new... and I think a small turbine might still be better. I have seen things like this before (using sinusoidal drives to run pistons back and forth)... the sinusoidal machining usually drives costs thru the roof!

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham

Sure it's neat and new, but I figured as much...the military seems to really like it, though... Personally, I'd stick with a V8 flex-fuel engine, until E-flex drivetrains are more common.